Can you over damp the stand that the Hi Fi unit's sit on?

stevesl500

Wammer
Wammer
Jun 23, 2011
Berkshire
AKA
Steve
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Can anyone please help?,Can you over damp the stand that the Hi Fi unit's sit on?, I have put Granite slab's under all the unit’s, that sit in my Target and The Sound Organisation stands, this has tightened the Bass and Top end but has sucked out the Mid's. I am now waiting for some sorbothane isolation hemispheres to be delivered so I can try these under the granite slab's and also between the granite and the units , if this does not work then I will be removing the Granite slab's. Has anyone come across this before ?.

I will be very grateful for any help or advise on this matter

Kind Regards

Steve.

CJS

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 8, 2012
East Anglia
AKA
Cliff
Can anyone please help?,Can you over damp the stand that the Hi Fi unit's sit on?, I have put Granite slab's under all the unit’s, that sit in my Target and The Sound Organisation stands, this has tightened the Bass and Top end but has sucked out the Mid's. I am now waiting for some sorbothane isolation hemispheres to be delivered so I can try these under the granite slab's and also between the granite and the units , if this does not work then I will be removing the Granite slab's. Has anyone come across this before ?.I will be very grateful for any help or advise on this matter

Kind Regards

Steve.
Yep, over damping happens all the time, far more with speaker stands but I have had it happen with granite slabs under amps and turntables. Not had a lot of success with sorbathane half spheres either.

Answer, a lot of thought and patient tuning of the mediums used.

CJSF

tuga

. . .
Wammer
Aug 17, 2007
Oxen's ford, UK
AKA
Ricardo
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Can anyone please help?,Can you over damp the stand that the Hi Fi unit's sit on?, I have put Granite slab's under all the unit’s, that sit in my Target and The Sound Organisation stands, this has tightened the Bass and Top end but has sucked out the Mid's. I am now waiting for some sorbothane isolation hemispheres to be delivered so I can try these under the granite slab's and also between the granite and the units , if this does not work then I will be removing the Granite slab's. Has anyone come across this before ?.I will be very grateful for any help or advise on this matter

Kind Regards

Steve.
I don't think you can "dampen" resonances with a hard material like granite.

You've probably "upped" the resonant frequency to higher levels...could it be affecting the treble?

R

johnniebaby

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 11, 2006
Midlands
AKA
John
I don't think you can "dampen" resonances with a hard material like granite.You've probably "upped" the resonant frequency to higher levels...could it be affecting the treble?

R
Got a graph?

ps You dampen things with moisture.

tuga

. . .
Wammer
Aug 17, 2007
Oxen's ford, UK
AKA
Ricardo
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Here's a graph for you:
ruy0y1.gif

Can you stop moistening my ass now? :roll:

R

Vinyl Art

Wammer
Wammer
Feb 13, 2010
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Granite wont damp a sausage, along with all stone and glass materials it is not good at damping (removal of energy from a system by converting it to heat - a process inherent in the material itself).

What you are doing is effectively adding mass to the rack system and If all your kit is coupled to the rack and your rack to the floor the additional mass will essentially reduce vibrational amplitudes and increase their frequency (very very simplistically).

Sorbathane has an NF of 12hz or so when used as hemispheres, so not suitable for a TT and will only fully isolate from about 24Hz and up when used elsewhere. Give it a try and see what you make of it.

If you can, get the TT on a wall shelf or isolate it very low down the freq range, half the arm cart/compliance.

Frizzy brizzy

Wammer
Wammer
Feb 3, 2013
New forest
AKA
Laurie
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Fell for that fault myself, putting marble slab under hutter racks made the music sound dull and sat on, moving rack away from wall can also help ( just 6 inches really helps) avoid corners, different materials sound different. Different stones and marble sound different.

I had some green 18m chipboard veneered all round and used in pairs or threes with brass cones and sounds fab. This is Kevin's at definitives cheap tip, same material in speakers.

RobHolt

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 28, 2006
East London
AKA
Rob
No, the stand that holds the Amp, C/D player, & TT.
It's possible to have the stand influence the sound of a TT in some fairly extreme circumstances, but otherwise putting slabs under the existing racks will do nothing but lift them.

If differences are heard it's very likely because you expect to hear them.

johnniebaby

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 11, 2006
Midlands
AKA
John
It's possible to have the stand influence the sound of a TT in some fairly extreme circumstances, but otherwise putting slabs under the existing racks will do nothing but lift them.If differences are heard it's very likely because you expect to hear them.
Good posting.

surayne

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 9, 2010
Surrey
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Granite wont damp a sausage, along with all stone and glass materials it is not good at damping (removal of energy from a system by converting it to heat - a process inherent in the material itself).What you are doing is effectively adding mass to the rack system and If all your kit is coupled to the rack and your rack to the floor the additional mass will essentially reduce vibrational amplitudes and increase their frequency (very very simplistically).

Sorbathane has an NF of 12hz or so when used as hemispheres, so not suitable for a TT and will only fully isolate from about 24Hz and up when used elsewhere. Give it a try and see what you make of it.

If you can, get the TT on a wall shelf or isolate it very low down the freq range, half the arm cart/compliance.
Interesting - I was planning to use sorbothane hemispheres under an isolation platform for my turntable, surely with a resonant frequency around 12Hz there shouldn't be an issue with music playback? Would there be much at around that frequency on a record?

struth

Wammer
Wammer
Feb 14, 2013
W Lothian
AKA
Grant
I have a sorbothane filled back screw on my rega tt arm and it did wonders for the sonics....pleasantly delighted...

stevesl500

Wammer
Wammer
Jun 23, 2011
Berkshire
AKA
Steve
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Thanks guys for all your help and advise so far, I am waiting for the isolation hemispheres to be delivered, As soon as I have them I will be trying them out with the granite slabs and will report back.

stevesl500

Wammer
Wammer
Jun 23, 2011
Berkshire
AKA
Steve
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Well I am still waiting for my package of isolation hemispheres to be delivered, I could not take the sound that was comming out of my speakers any more: what ever I played it all sound the same, flat and so well - shit. So today I took all the granite slabs out of the racks and ha-presto the old sound was back, When the isolation hemispheres arrive I am going to have a good play around with just the isolation hemispheres in the racks, then try them with the granite slabs.

Will report back. Steve.

Vinyl Art

Wammer
Wammer
Feb 13, 2010
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Interesting - I was planning to use sorbothane hemispheres under an isolation platform for my turntable, surely with a resonant frequency around 12Hz there shouldn't be an issue with music playback? Would there be much at around that frequency on a record?
Not a sausage, but your arm/cart compliance is at or near that frequency so technically it is better to isolate TTs at half that, say 5hz and below if you can. If you are going to use sorbo the donut shaped rings will get you down to 8Hz or so.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles