cap values

falcoron

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Jan 17, 2006
Belfast, , United Ki
AKA
RON
Sorry if this is a daft question but its only easy when you know.

I have caps is my speakers and im trying different makes just to see what the difference will be.

The caps i have are between 1uf and 1.25uf.

the designed caps in the speakers are 1.15mf ( been given this by bastanis himself so correct)

question is what is the difference in a 1.15mf and a 1.15uf please

early

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 24, 2007
Lancs
AKA
Phil
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Ron ,

They are both the same , just different terms for micro farad .

falcoron

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Jan 17, 2006
Belfast, , United Ki
AKA
RON
Ah ok thanks, Do resistors sound different? i know caps make a big change but dont know if resistors do.

If so what should i buy if i was upgrading these, Deulund AN and Jensen get great feed back for the caps but at bongo prices but the resistors are cheap enough from £5 to £24 each, i have only 2 in the speakers. just wondering not buying yet but may do when i get sorted.

Thanks

early

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 24, 2007
Lancs
AKA
Phil
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
This'll probably start a war but I think resistors can have quite an impact on sound depending on where they're being used , but I've found that when changing the types of resistors in crossovers is difference is very subtle . I've used Mills in my Tannoy x/o's purely for their lack of inductance .

Fatmarley

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 12, 2008
Gloucestershire
AKA
Matt
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
This'll probably start a war but I think resistors can have quite an impact on sound depending on where they're being used , but I've found that when changing the types of resistors in crossovers is difference is very subtle . I've used Mills in my Tannoy x/o's purely for their lack of inductance .
Was thinking the same thing "war". In the feedback loop of a Naim preamp - Big difference. Crossovers - Can't say i've noticed much, if any difference.

falcoron

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Jan 17, 2006
Belfast, , United Ki
AKA
RON
OK,

GOD! i dont want to start another cable type war :)

i'll leave it at that then, would only change if a big change for the better was to be had.

hearingisbelieving

Wammer
Wammer
May 10, 2011
Bendorf, Germany
AKA
Chris
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
OK,GOD! i dont want to start another cable type war :)

i'll leave it at that then, would only change if a big change for the better was to be had.
Ron, when I upgraded my T+A crossovers I chucked in a couple fo nice Duelund resistors, dont know if it made any difference because I changed a few other things at the same time but they look good and now I never have to worry about them again. £15 each though and I needed 6 in total :nuts:

falcoron

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Jan 17, 2006
Belfast, , United Ki
AKA
RON
Cheers maybe play with some and see. sometime in the future, no cash to spare now but getting my wish list started again in case i get a windfall.

G

geoffp67

Surely the inductance of a wirewound resistor is relatively low, especially when compared to the values of the inductors in many crossovers ?

I suspect the x-o circuits are designed with ordinaty resistors, so their inducatance is a part of the circuit.

I wont pay £15 per resistor when I need 10 of them and 50p items are almost as good. Does this mean Im tight ? Or have an ear for lots more LPs ?

hearingisbelieving

Wammer
Wammer
May 10, 2011
Bendorf, Germany
AKA
Chris
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Surely the inductance of a wirewound resistor is relatively low, especially when compared to the values of the inductors in many crossovers ?I suspect the x-o circuits are designed with ordinaty resistors, so their inducatance is a part of the circuit.

I wont pay £15 per resistor when I need 10 of them and 50p items are almost as good. Does this mean Im tight ? Or have an ear for lots more LPs ?
It doesnt really mean anything, your money your choice. I used em because I rebuilt the entire crossover and was using foo caps and foo inductors so i though 'why not use foo resistors as well'! There are other, less expensive resistors available that would offer an improvement over standard ceramic or MOX resistors.

awkwardbydesign

Perfect, apparently.
Wammer
Mar 5, 2012
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
car1m.jpg
Z-foil

i_should_coco

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 21, 2006
For crossovers?! :doh:

The Duelund resistors failed on me when I us them in an amp. If they get warm, the joint between the wire and the graphite resistive element fails and they go noisy. I broke one apart to discover it was a Faber Castell 5H pencil lead. :rofl:

IMG_1143_800.jpg

rabski

Everything in moderation
Staff member
Dec 2, 2006
Kettering
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
For cross-overs, if you want to go foo, Mundorf M-Resist are your thing. Wire-wound and non-inductive, they're 20 Watt rated. Daft money though. Cheaper and still excellent, Mills is still highly praised. Again ww and non-inductive. Up to 12W which should be fine for most cross-overs. Just avoid those disgusting coffin resistors.

All that said, it might be worth bearing in mind that the designer may have figured in the inductance of the original wire-wound jobbies in there. Replacing with non-inductive might make a difference...

falcoron

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Jan 17, 2006
Belfast, , United Ki
AKA
RON
Thanks guys and to those who pm'd me. The designer said his caps are as good as any foo silver in oil no matter what price.

but he did say the resistors were just cheap wire wound and would be worth playing around with only 12 ohm

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Today's Birthdays

Latest Articles

Wammers Online