Hi, what would be the best cartridge pliers to use and buy please? Thanks

Reactions: MVJ

DT79

Wammer
Apr 6, 2022
Bournemouth, UK
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I’d love to know. I’ve got a pair of these ‘angled needle nose’ (that’s probably not the right name), which can be used with or without the rubber sleeves as shown.

The problem I find is that any pliers or tweezers will ruck-up/tear the sheathing over the cartridge wires, unless you grip so tight as to risk ripping the cartridge contact pin out of the cartridge altogether (that has happened to me once, thankfully not on an expensive cartridge).

Most of the time I just pinch the end of the cartridge wire between my fingernails and push/pull it like that.

IMG_2410.jpeg

Reactions: rocky raccoon

Nopiano

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 19, 2016
Monmouthshire, Wales
AKA
Nick
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I’ve always used fingernails. Seriously.

The whole idea of pulling or pushing something as delicate as a cartridge tag, while squeezing without excessive force in a different direction/plane seems pretty much impossible to me.

rocky raccoon

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 9, 2010
Cambridge
AKA
Iestos de la Mancha
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I’d love to know. I’ve got a pair of these ‘angled needle nose’ (that’s probably not the right name), which can be used with or without the rubber sleeves as shown.

The problem I find is that any pliers or tweezers will ruck-up/tear the sheathing over the cartridge wires, unless you grip so tight as to risk ripping the cartridge contact pin out of the cartridge altogether (that has happened to me once, thankfully not on an expensive cartridge).

Most of the time I just pinch the end of the cartridge wire between my fingernails and push/pull it like that.

IMG_2410.jpeg
Those are pretty good. I have a set that are slightly finer at the tips. But that's what you're after.

DT79

Wammer
Apr 6, 2022
Bournemouth, UK
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I’ve always used fingernails. Seriously.

The whole idea of pulling or pushing something as delicate as a cartridge tag, while squeezing without excessive force in a different direction/plane seems pretty much impossible to me.
Precisely my experience

awkwardbydesign

Perfect, apparently.
Wammer
Mar 5, 2012
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I usually use long nose (straight or angled) pliers, gently close the tips under the tags, and lever them off against the back of the cartridge, or a variation of that. No pressure on the tags at all.
Actually, I have just realised that I have some olive forks that might be even better.
s-l1600.jpg

rocky raccoon

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 9, 2010
Cambridge
AKA
Iestos de la Mancha
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Precisely my experience
Paradoxically, it's easier with bigger handles and a heavier tool (as opposed to tweezers) because you can dose the pressure, while the weight means they are less prone to sudden movements.
But fine tips help - and you need to have a good look at where you grip the actual tags.
It also helps to rest your fore-arms on something solid. That stops the dreaded slip-disaster.
If you are unlucky enough to own a unipivot arm, the tagging up is best done before you bolt the thing to the arm !
It also helps if the actual tags are a nice fit. If they are not, a dry run with the blunt end of an appropriately sized (Dremel) drill bit can make life easier. They come in many finely graded sizes.
This is where some digital calipers can come in handy.

Last edited:

rocky raccoon

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 9, 2010
Cambridge
AKA
Iestos de la Mancha
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Not your eyebrow plucking ones (they need another trim btw), the large ones with wooden bits on the handles, for model making.
You clearly have some experience and I defer to your judgement.
To quote the third stage guild navigator, 'You must share with us'.

MF 1000

Extreme Full Range 😱
Wammer Plus
Apr 5, 2011
Caego
AKA
Keith
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Pliers 😱😱😱😱
reminds me of a Wammer who left the forum quite a few years ago who used pliers to attempt to pull the tags off an AN Io cartridge ….and pulled out the whole MC assembly 😫😫😫😫

rabski

Everything in moderation
Staff member
Dec 2, 2006
Kettering
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I treat attaching and detaching differently. To remove tags, I've always found it best to gently 'lever' from the cartridge body by sliding an extremely small flat-bladed screwdriver into the gap. You ideally want to avoid gripping the actual body of the tag, as you will be squeezing it harder onto the pin. You can try gripping gently from the end where the cable is soldered, and this is what I do for fitting, but I avoid that for removing, as if you get one that's stuck quite firmly, it can 'let go' quickly and get a bit messy.

My issue is that I always seem to end up with arms soldered with things like Kondo 'fairy wire' that breaks if you so much as look at it rudely.

MVJ

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Apr 9, 2020
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hi, what would be the best cartridge pliers to use and buy please? Thanks
Those are pretty good. I have a set that are slightly finer at the tips. But that's what you're after.
I use a small surgical artery clip. I have some spares, if you would like one.

3oHyoB.jpg
I use a pair of small broad nose pliers they were my Great Grandads then my Grandads followed by my Dad and now mine....

They are called "Broad Nose Cylinder Bearing Pin Pliers"

I have found the opposite having the wide nose and small size gives much better control & I grip the cart tag by the back end where the wire is fitted to it + the wire & they have never failed me.

Unlike rat nose pliers that only hold a narrow part of the tag and it's much to easy to apply to much pressure and crush the tag onto the pin or worse.

As for the Artery Clip I also have a pair of these curtesy of my ex GP wife. What I have found with these is the grip is too strong even on the first stop for me.

No Doubt you are more experienced than I judging by your wam title Charlie👍

I can't use my fingernails due to numb finger ends after a Thalamic stroke so lack of feel & control.

A couple of pics....
IMG_4346.jpeg

IMG_4349.jpeg

Last edited:

John (big)

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 3, 2012
West London
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I use a small surgical artery clip. I have some spares, if you would like one.

3oHyoB.jpg

I treat attaching and detaching differently. To remove tags, I've always found it best to gently 'lever' from the cartridge body by sliding an extremely small flat-bladed screwdriver into the gap. You ideally want to avoid gripping the actual body of the tag, as you will be squeezing it harder onto the pin. You can try gripping gently from the end where the cable is soldered, and this is what I do for fitting, but I avoid that for removing, as if you get one that's stuck quite firmly, it can 'let go' quickly and get a bit messy.

My issue is that I always seem to end up with arms soldered with things like Kondo 'fairy wire' that breaks if you so much as look at it rudely.
Gents I use a small pair of curved artery forceps which I prefer to straight ones after gently prising the pin tags away from the cartridge with a thin but broad screwdriver or usually a blade as horologists use to remove watch backs. Then to fit or refit forceps on the tag where soldered in my case to the ultra fine (brittle) litz silver wire on my Hadcock GH242 silver plus arm, all whilst tongue biting & sweating profusely wearing 2 pairs of glasses & shining my bright goose necked Ikea standard/spot lamp my wife bought for me for just such endeavours. I have the advantage that being a semi uni-pivot I can remove & have the arm tube on the table in front of me.

Last edited:

MVJ

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Apr 9, 2020
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I don't feel comfortable with screwdrivers anywhere near anything fragile so as you can imagine how grateful to my GGdad Gdad & my Dad for passing to me my broad nose pliers😍

@rabski Tell you what Richard if I go before you mate I will leave a note for Hilary to pass these on to you I can't think of a better person to have them.👌🏻

In fact if you lived near me you would already have them as long as the deal was you sorted my carts for me but a bit to far to travel atm eh!😝

Reactions: rabski and Tony_J

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Today's Birthdays

Latest Articles