Question Cartridge Setup - Vertical / Lateral Resonant Frequency

A question.

Jules_S

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jun 7, 2019
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I've just fitted a new-to-me but excellent condition Soundsmith Aida Mk II to my Origin Live Encounter 3C arm. During the setup I use the Hi Fi News test LP to help with confirming the setup.

When I ran the horizontal resonant frequency test the results seemed a bit low at 7Hz. On the vertical resonant frequency test I actually couldn't see any point at which the arm / cart combo was excited, which is odd as I've always seen it before with every other cartridge I've used on the arm.

Should I be worried about either of these results? I don't have the exact specs for the arm to hand but the Mk IV version has an effective mass of 12.5g, the cartridge weighs 9.2g, has a compliance of 22 µm/mN and I have it dialled in at a fraction over 1.5g downforce which is toward the middle of the recommended range of 1.3 - 1.6g. VTA is level.

Does anything here sound like an incompatibility? I'm not seeing any other issues with the setup, and from the three sides I've played so far, it's sounding pretty good but I was interested to know what, if any, impact there might be from those resonance tests.

Comments / observations gratefully received

Speedracer

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 2, 2014
Ferndown
AKA
Brook
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Jules I always fine run my cartridge set ups by ear after checking the install is correct re alignment & tracking force. It is probably me but I always think the resultant sound is better than using a test LP. If it sounds right then IMO it is right.

• Thanks
Reactions: Jules_S and MVJ

MVJ

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Apr 9, 2020
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Jules I always fine run my cartridge set ups by ear after checking the install is correct re alignment & tracking force. It is probably me but I always think the resultant sound is better than using a test LP. If it sounds right then IMO it is right.
+one 👌🏻

• Thanks
Reactions: Jules_S

Jules_S

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jun 7, 2019
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Thanks guys. I've had a listen post-setup and it sounds decent enough to me, I was just concerned that by having the resonant frequency outside of the usual recommended range of 8-12Hz I might be at risk of something. Honestly, I've never NOT had an arm / cart setup sit in the range, and wouldn't know if it's something I could affect (heavier cartridge screws?) or if I'm stuck with it.

Still find it weird that I couldn't detect a vertical resonance though...

Reactions: MVJ

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Today's Birthdays

Latest Articles

Wammers Online