Wammer
Wammer
Jul 24, 2005
Scotland
AKA
John
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
A couple of hours research on Vinyl engine and etc suggests very little difference in mass between the arms on the 1500C, 1200GR and its bigger brother. A mass of Approx 12 g give or take 1 g for all the arms is what i read.
Given that I'm looking for a VG MM and not currently think MC, I have shorlisted:
AT 540 ML
AT 750 SH
and despite crazy price hike recently, Nagaoka 200.

On paper the AT's out spec the Nagaoka (stylus profile on the 750 is Shibata for example compared to the 300's plain eliptical, and at half the price to boot so AT looks like being king IF...
IF they fit the arm VTA wise. I see the standard supplied make is the (hideous) Ortofon 2M red and technics VTA adjustment will obviously level that out without spacers. Anyone running an AT and know if there is any problem levelling things off without the need for spacers?
Any other thoughts welcomed re carts. Budget around 3-500 quid, MM only.

Last edited:

DUVET

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 7, 2021
Middle
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Nagaoka’s MM are highly rated . One guy on YouTube rated it above the entry level Hana. I’m on a train and tinternet is a bit hit and miss otherwise I would find the model .

rockmeister

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 24, 2005
Scotland
AKA
John
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Nagaoka’s MM are highly rated . One guy on YouTube rated it above the entry level Hana. I’m on a train and tinternet is a bit hit and miss otherwise I would find the model .
TonyL at PFM runs a Nag 500 and has always rated them highly, and importantly also into Tannoys, but the 500 is now £800!
That's about +250 in 2 months. I had thought the 300 was about where i wanted to be, with a boron cantilever and quite refined superfine eliptical stylus...lowish noise but plenty of detail I'd guessed, but that is almost exactly twice the cost of AT's VM750 so it's daft really.

MVJ

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Apr 9, 2020
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I do indeed Jon I interchange between the 750 & AT Art-9xi both sound & fit perfectly. The 750SH is very musical on my 1200-G TT so easy to listen too as it just bops along quite merrily a good match for the Techie.

DUVET

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 7, 2021
Middle
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
It was the Hana EL against the MP-150 . So bottom price point for you where the Nagaoka came out tops according to one mans opinion . !!!

Reactions: rockmeister

Idlewithnodrive

You should hear our version of Louie Louie
Wammer Plus
May 7, 2018
Virtually, everywhere
AKA
Mike
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I ran a Nag MP200 on a 1210 and it was a great sounding cart. I still own one and think it is the sweet spot for Nag carts.

JohnyT

Wammer
Aug 14, 2022
Broadwey
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I ran the Nag MP-200 on my 1210GR and was my 2nd cartridge. I later upgraded to the MP-500 which is an amazing cartridge. Their actually not a MM and more like a MI and have a slightly lower output.
I really enjoyed my time with the MP-200 and it really is the sweet spot of the range. I'd highly recommend it at the price range even today.
The MP-500 was quite a nice step up I actually found it very hard to beat. It finally took spending £2k on a Sumiko Starling for it to be a worthwhile upgrade. I now own a 1210G but I've kept the 1210GR and MP-500 for now.

Reactions: rockmeister

martinpix

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 17, 2014
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The Goldring 2400 that I have on here is brand new and I will accept £280 for it to include postage this is a £549 cartridge is brand new boxed .
it is a moving iron but is technically identical in output to all standard MM and will work with any MM phonos stage .\you wont get a better cartridge for £280 I can promise you . Google them and read the reviews.
here is a link to it on eBay for a safer purchased
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/134246803416

rockmeister

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 24, 2005
Scotland
AKA
John
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Currently waiting to hear an AT750 SH, but if we don't get on, Nagaoka will be next on the list. Few dealers round here.

Reactions: Colinjg

Gromit

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 17, 2006
Yellowbellyshire
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
From my own experience some years ago, I've never been much of a fan of the Nagaoka cartridges. I once owned an MP11, an MP11 Boron and MP20 (add a zero for their modern equivalents). Whilst there was an increase in refinement going up the range, the family trait of a somewhat artificial 'bloom' to their sound just put me off. On recently hearing an MP300 (admittedly in a Gyro/Tecno) it would appear not much has changed.

The best cartridge I ever used in a 1210 (admittedly a Mk2) was a 2M Black - the only caveat being that it needs careful setting up and the correct capacitance loading (too much and it sounds bleached) and with the std Technics headshell. Get these spot-on and it's a lovely thing.

Reactions: lazycat

Nopiano

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 19, 2016
Monmouthshire, Wales
AKA
Nick
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I read recently that in the UK there is a new distributor for Nagaoka, though I’ve yet to see their price list. What I didn’t know, was that Nagaoka produced the cartridge for Technics anniversary edition, and seem to have a long and lauded association with Technics.

I too would have looked at the AT540 you mention, or the Ortofon 2M Bronze, but now I’d be more curious about the Nagaoka options.

This range I didn’t know…https://stereo-magazine.com/review/nagaoka-jt-80lb-jt-80bk-review

Last edited:

lazycat

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Dec 20, 2007
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
From my own experience some years ago, I've never been much of a fan of the Nagaoka cartridges. I once owned an MP11, an MP11 Boron and MP20 (add a zero for their modern equivalents). Whilst there was an increase in refinement going up the range, the family trait of a somewhat artificial 'bloom' to their sound just put me off. On recently hearing an MP300 (admittedly in a Gyro/Tecno) it would appear not much has changed.

The best cartridge I ever used in a 1210 (admittedly a Mk2) was a 2M Black - the only caveat being that it needs careful setting up and the correct capacitance loading (too much and it sounds bleached) and with the std Technics headshell. Get these spot-on and it's a lovely thing.
That's always been my experience with Nagaoka over the years, IMO you've summed it up pretty well.

I also like my 2M Black on my Mk2/Tabriz, sounds very fine to me.

rockmeister

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 24, 2005
Scotland
AKA
John
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
A long time Ortofon fan. AT seem to attract so little praise unless for the 95 range, which are outstandingly good at that cost.
once you are past 200 quid or so it';s just down to taste I suppose.

Reactions: DomT and lazycat

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles