jct

Wammer
Jun 12, 2021
how do I get these spacers?

Do you know the maximum gap size?

jct

Wammer
Jun 12, 2021
Any ideas of optimal amps to go with Howard?

Some here uses Alchemist.

Any other suggestions?

Lawrence001

Mega Wammer
Wammer
Jul 21, 2015
London
AKA
Lawrence
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
If you can try out a Naim off someone here or a dealer it might be an interesting combination. I tried one with a pair of Kef 104/2s and it gave more punch and speed. But you might have to go pre power I'm not sure a Nait would be enough for the room.

Ultimately the Howards are great with large scale classical but weren't designed for what you are looking for.

jct

Wammer
Jun 12, 2021
You properly right but I have listened to all kinds of music on the Howard and actually like what I hear. I find them highly musical and right sounding.

It’s only a bit more bass I am looking for.

Phil48

Wammer
Wammer
May 13, 2022
wales
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
hi just sold my HOWARD S2s after many happy years, playing all types of music, the one thing the Howards are not is light on bass ,as others have said you can adjust the bass by removing the plinth and adding more spacers ,i think the factory set the gap at 3mm, i tried it at 5mm once but the bass was booming, when taking the plinth off lie the speakers on their sides, someone said turn them upside down but the Howards have an upward firing speaker that could get damaged if the speaker was placed upside down, i used an upgraded yaquin valve amplifier with mine, and was very happy with the sound, i did find that QED genesis speaker cable worked really well with them, and they worked well about a foot from the back wall, if you google plastic spacers there are plenty for sale really cheap, i set mine at 2mm and that tightened the bass up in my system ,also i upgraded the jumper cables on the back and found that made a significant difference

Reactions: Lawrence001

Lawrence001

Mega Wammer
Wammer
Jul 21, 2015
London
AKA
Lawrence
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
You properly right but I have listened to all kinds of music on the Howard and actually like what I hear. I find them highly musical and right sounding.

It’s only a bit more bass I am looking for.
Ok it's just there's an difference between more bass and faster/punchier bass. The Howards should certainly have enough bass in your room but it isn't the fastest I've heard. (I owned a pair for a few months about 6 years ago).

Systems with "fast" bass tend to sound leaner overall. I think the Linn Saras were the punchiest I've owned so maybe isobaric would suit you more than TL.

(To note the Howards don't have a traditional quarter wave TL but an interesting "double pipe" arrangement. I'm not sure on the theory behind this.)

jct

Wammer
Jun 12, 2021
Yes I do feel that the sound is a little on the lean side.

There is bass but misses some fullness.

Perhaps I am using the wrong amplification?

The gap is factory set 3 mm.

That’s why I thought of adding a sub to create more extension.

I am little confused where to start. Mostly because I do like the overall sound.

jct

Wammer
Jun 12, 2021
Could something like the sugden a28 mk2 or the Alchemist Axiom be a good match with the Howard?

Hifimad1

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 28, 2007
United Kingdom
AKA
James
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
And how do I check that?
At the amplifier the positive speaker cable connections must relate to the positive terminals at the speaker. Same for the negative.If one connection is wrong you will be out of phase and loose loads of bass ,

Reactions: MVJ

bencat

Amplifier Destroyer
Wammer Plus
Feb 6, 2010
Liverpool
AKA
Andrew
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
First thing I would say is that when I heard them Electrocompaniet amps are pretty special and they by design drive speakers well in the real world . I doubt very much that changing them will gain you anything short of spending silly money on a massive Krell . Not sure where you are but it would good for you to get and listen to a few different speakers if you can . As Lawrence said Linn Sara speakers have wonderfully tight and fast bass and induce a need to dance . I know I have a pair in my two way active system and will be bringing this to the Wam Show . I have to say I am not a huge fan of subs but if you are going down that road then you need two one for each side and patience to set them up carefully .

Phil48

Wammer
Wammer
May 13, 2022
wales
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
At the amplifier the positive speaker cable connections must relate to the positive terminals at the speaker. Same for the negative.If one connection is wrong you will be out of phase and loose loads of bass ,
also i know you have, but check the jumper plates are on the rear terminals ,people take them off to upgrade with jumper cables

Phil48

Wammer
Wammer
May 13, 2022
wales
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Castle tell you to invert them it's in the manual same with Harlech which I had.
Thinking of it if you invert them onto a flat surface, they would just clear the surface by a few mim, as the top speaker cover sits behind a lip to the front of the speaker👍

Jules_S

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jun 7, 2019
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Castle tell you to invert them it's in the manual same with Harlech which I had.
Maybe, but as mentioned earlier you risk some potential damage to the up-facing driver by doing so (plus it will be very unsteady and will need supporting). Putting them on their side, as I mentioned earlier, is safer and makes it a one-person job to do. Worth having a bit of sponge or similar to put under the plinth-end of the main enclosure, to give it some support so that when you undo the last bolt, the cabinet doesn't suddenly drop. That's what I used to do with my Harlechs when I altered the spacing

Jules_S

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jun 7, 2019
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Thinking of it if you invert them onto a flat surface, they would just clear the surface by a few mim, as the top speaker cover sits behind a lip to the front of the speaker👍
I don't think I'd be comfortable with that but each has their own acceptable level of risk I suppose. Get someone to hold the cabinets while you unbolt as there won't be anything much to stop them toppling over

Reactions: Lawrence001

paraheadache

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 16, 2011
Hartlepool Teesside
AKA
John
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Maybe, but as mentioned earlier you risk some potential damage to the up-facing driver by doing so (plus it will be very unsteady and will need supporting). Putting them on their side, as I mentioned earlier, is safer and makes it a one-person job to do. Worth having a bit of sponge or similar to put under the plinth-end of the main enclosure, to give it some support so that when you undo the last bolt, the cabinet doesn't suddenly drop. That's what I used to do with my Harlechs when I altered the spacing
Nope

paraheadache

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 16, 2011
Hartlepool Teesside
AKA
John
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I don't think I'd be comfortable with that but each has their own acceptable level of risk I suppose. Get someone to hold the cabinets while you unbolt as there won't be anything much to stop them toppling over
Trust me, on a carpet or soft cloth with grill on they will neither topple or be damaged and you won't need anybody to steady then.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online