Wammer
Wammer
Jul 2, 2015
Cornwall
AKA
Bill
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Need to get a new CD player. Had a Musical Fidelity A5 CD which I really liked both in form and function. Considering buying another but would like to hear about recommended alternatives.

High build quality but must be easily repairable should the need arise. Had my fair share of broken hi-fi where parts are no longer available.​
Prefer a silver / grey metal finish.​
I have a liking for Copland products (already have a preamp) but appreciate they're not renowned for CD players and Copland stuff is not very plentiful.​
Open to buying a transport and separate Dac, or an integrated player. If anyone has a Copland Dac selling, I might be interested​
Obviously want the best sound quality for the money. Budget up to about a grand​

My current system = Celestion 442 speakers / Copland 301 valve pre amp / Quad II valve monoblocks
Sorry...I'm bit of a newbie so don't blind me with too much technical / electronics speak !

New year wishes to you all
Bill

Reactions: Nativebon and myles

Rockchild

Formerly Radiant Red 🎶
Wammer Plus
Jun 22, 2011
Launceston UK
AKA
Jonathan
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Need to get a new CD player. Had a Musical Fidelity A5 CD which I really liked both in form and function. Considering buying another but would like to hear about recommended alternatives.
High build quality but must be easily repairable should the need arise. Had my fair share of broken hi-fi where parts are no longer available.​
Prefer a silver / grey metal finish.​
I have a liking for Copland products (already have a preamp) but appreciate they're not renowned for CD players and Copland stuff is not very plentiful.​
Open to buying a transport and separate Dac, or an integrated player. If anyone has a Copland Dac selling, I might be interested​
Obviously want the best sound quality for the money. Budget up to about a grand​

My current system = Celestion 442 speakers / Copland 301 valve pre amp / Quad II valve monoblocks
Sorry...I'm bit of a newbie so don't blind me with too much technical / electronics speak !

New year wishes to you all
Bill
Hi Bill

Hope your well. How much do you want to spend? Btw, have you still got the Sansui TT? 😊

bilspe

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 2, 2015
Cornwall
AKA
Bill
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hello Jon
Didn't you have an Audiolab CDT selling a while back ? I was hesitating and then it was sold !
Budget up to about a grand but not sure. Depends on what other hifi I have here to sell

Yes sold the Sansui TT. On eBay to a guy in London, think I got 550 for it which wasn't bad considering there were a few issues

Last edited:
Reactions: Rockchild and myles

Rockchild

Formerly Radiant Red 🎶
Wammer Plus
Jun 22, 2011
Launceston UK
AKA
Jonathan
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hello Jon
Didn't you have an Audiolab CDT selling a while back ? I was hesitating and then it was sold !
Budget up to about a grand but not sure. Depends on what other hifi I have here to sell

Yes sold the Sansui TT. On eBay to a guy in London, think I got 550 for it which wasn't bad considering there were a few issues
I did Bill, sold it and have a Restek Concret CD. Rare as anything and 27 years old. Going back to Restek soon for a full update and refit (yes, they still support them).

If you like the MF sound etc, what about an M6 CD? It’s also a DAC for plugging in other digital stuff.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/28507480...43eEd7DTSq&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Reactions: hiesteem

bilspe

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 2, 2015
Cornwall
AKA
Bill
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Reactions: Nativebon

bilspe

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 2, 2015
Cornwall
AKA
Bill
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I did Bill, sold it and have a Restek Concret CD. Rare as anything and 27 years old. Going back to Restek soon for a full update and refit (yes, they still support them).

If you like the MF sound etc, what about an M6 CD? It’s also a DAC for plugging in other digital stuff.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/28507480...43eEd7DTSq&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Restek ? Never heard of them Jon. Just googled and got this first https://restekltd.com/ !!
But yes, now I see what you mean. Very interesting, and top dollar.

Top loading player might not suit me because has to go in a rack. Will definately consider though

bilspe

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 2, 2015
Cornwall
AKA
Bill
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
A sturdy CD player(Marantz?) as transport and an (upgradeable?) outboard DAC (from Chord?) would be my recommendation.
Cheers.
Yes I had a Marantz cd6005 once and really liked it. The 6007 is supposed to be a giant killer

Rockchild

Formerly Radiant Red 🎶
Wammer Plus
Jun 22, 2011
Launceston UK
AKA
Jonathan
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Restek ? Never heard of them Jon. Just googled and got this first https://restekltd.com/ !!
But yes, now I see what you mean. Very interesting, and top dollar.

Top loading player might not suit me because has to go in a rack. Will definately consider though
Lol not suggesting it but it answered your question re sale of my Audiolab 😊

The MF I Suggested is however, an excellent player. As you mentioned, the player needs to be supported which counts out the Copland. Without spending all your money, you wouldn’t go far wrong with an Arcam FMJ CD33, 36 or the 37. Last of the great Arcam FMJ’s

bilspe

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 2, 2015
Cornwall
AKA
Bill
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
If I can squeeze a Rega Jupiter top loader in here then you'll be golden!

167251768934683512480716264591.jpg
Cheers Myles. Truth be told.... I havent actually built the rack yet so a top loader might be an option if I space the shelving correctly

Reactions: myles

bilspe

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 2, 2015
Cornwall
AKA
Bill
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
What happened to your a5?
Dont ask ! I got some cables mixed up at the rear and plugged it into something it shouldn't have (valve power amp I think ). There were some strange noises and then it was goodnight.
My repair guy couldn't fix it so I sold it as a non runner ((

bilspe

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 2, 2015
Cornwall
AKA
Bill
HiFi Trade?
  1. No

Latest posts

Forum statistics