CD players not reading discs

Sheva

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 4, 2006
Chiavenna
AKA
Sheva
I should have anticipated the problem when I first tried to play a test disc during the demo, up came the message “No Discâ€, so open drawer, clean disc etc… this would then occasionally happen when I got the player home. Never happened so much with previous CDP, so asked in the shop if it was normal. Dealer told me that he had a 2.5K player and that he had the same problem regularly. Felt miffed.

Last night was then gorping, (maybe its gauping?), through the WHF Ultimate Guide from last Autumn, and see a review for the Copland CDA823, which says that “CDs won’t be read at all unless the disc is spotlessly cleanâ€, and then goes on to say that “tray makes a noise like a coffee grinderâ€. Given the price of this particular lump of metal, I’d expect it to play perfectly even if I put the disc in upside down. I admit that it did get five stars, but what use is that if its only going to play a small proportion of your discs hassle free.

Is this an across the board issue, or does anybody actually make a player that will always fire up first time?

JamPal

Content Provider
Wammer
Jul 19, 2005
Sussex, West Side
AKA
James
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
everything gets 5 stars in WHF.
smile.png

My copland make a noise when the draw opens but it has no probel reading disks at all. my old Naim was much fussier.

mosfet

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
Surrey
AKA
Richard
Get a broadcast machine if you want something that will play pretty much any format, first time, every time and doesn’t throw a wobbly if discs are less than perfect. Genuinely built like brick shithouses. Models to look at from Denon (used by the BBC) Marantz and Tascam.

1204.jpg

The PMD340 includes a highly durable, brushless spindle motor, along with a high-resolution heavy-duty laser. The result is a precision disc tracking system specially equipped to handle the rigors of professional applications.

yoda900

Wammer Plus
Sep 20, 2005
Cheshire
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
My old Yamaha CDx1050 reads and plays any type of red book disc , new or copy. CDS3 does the same. Masterclass is far more likely to refuse certain copies but reads every new disc other then Tori Amos The Beekeper for some reason:shock: Obviously dislikes that particular album but is partial to all her others.

G

My cdp player costs......... well lets not go into that but its got one of the best mechs in the business but it still opens and shuts with a deftness of a sturdy german car door. Once playing its fine but start forwarding and reversing and little skips sometimes appear on certain discs. Stop faffing about with disc and it reads them perfectly. Should have bought a SHOOTEM UP:p

jon

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
, ,
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I still use my sony XE370 CD as a transport - mainly cause it will play almost any CD however scratched/dirty/cheap CDR etc perfectly and the mechanism's dead quiet when it's playing
cool.gif.9d6c72c555b38e519336a6d9b55ca875.gif
Now that's Japanese build quality
smile.png
Um, don't mean to rub it in, but the Sony goes for well under a £100
smile.png

Maybe have a word with your dealer - I presume the copland's not cheap, and it's taking the piss a bit if it won't play a lot of CDs. You *could* back up your CDs to spotless CD-Rs, then store then in one of those CD cases that wipes CDs when you put them in/take them out, but can you be bothered?

supercapman

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 19, 2005
Bath, , United Kingd
AKA
Chris
My old Naim CDX never missed a beat but my old Arcam had a few reading problems but it was rare.My new Marantz has had no problems so far (Touches wood).I don't think it would be unreasonable for a player not to track every now and then but if it starts to happen every third or fourth disc then you have problems.

E

eisenach

My TAG CDT20TL has some difficulties with certain discs, especially if you start skipping tracks towards the end of a disc. Some discs are unplayable until you clean them, then most work fine.

I was about to throw a tantrum, when the penny dropped: every disc, without exception,that had problems had been treated with Russ Andrews snake oil - Reveel (free samples, you understand!). There must be a lesson for me there!

Beobloke

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 29, 2005
AKA
Adam
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
My old Yamaha CD29 played ANYTHING, even a Style Council CD i have thathas beenscratched to pieces, with only an occasional skip.

Replaced it with a Technics SLP-222 that sounded much better but would only play surgically clean discs
wub.png

Current CD-94 isn't too bad but won't play that Style Council CD!

Chumpy

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 3, 2005
Bristol UK
AKA
Charlie
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Apart from CDP etc sadly genuinely dying, it is often no surprise that cheap players enjoyed by e.g. youngsters/in PCsseem to play through any red-book CD, some of which confuse more expensive CDP etc.

I once had problems after 7 years with Kenwood 7090 till I eventually paid for useless repair/stuck it-box etc on wall to go to appreciative disk-swopper.

Naim CDPs do not in my experience like playing CDRW made into audio CDRW.

All other m/cs in house play anything (so far).

Jezzer

Unspecified Wammer
Wammer Plus
Jul 31, 2005
Uxbridge
AKA
Jezzer
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I have a Copland CDA823.

It has an incredibly noisy disc tray. Crazy. Haven't heard anything like it.

TOC-Reading is REALLY slow. Takes an age to read a disc (my last two cd players -an Exposure 22 and aNaim CD5x -were quick).

Doesn't scan through tracks very well. Skipping from track to track is fine.

The Copland's remote is utter shite.

Still, the Copland's soundmakes all ofthe above redundant.

BUT... Given its price, you'd expect it tooperate flawlessly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.