CD quality , A first for me !!!

Jules_S

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jun 7, 2019
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Been a Deacon Blue fan since 1988. I happened to be at Alton Towers ("school's out" trip!! 😮) on the day that DB were there filming for the kids TV show "Going Live", if anyone remembers it? Loved them ever since.

I have a ticket to see them at the BIC in September this year which I'm very much looking forward to.

Must dig out my Raintown CD (and "When the World Knows Your Name") and have another listen, not heard it for ages. I don't recall being overwhelmed by the production, but then it's a while since I've heard it so who knows, perhaps a play through with fresh ears might reveal otherwise! Either way, great music

mtbmarkymark

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 13, 2008
Leeds, UK
AKA
Mark
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I have been enjoying Raintown recently, a 80's release that mostly passed me by until now.
I don't own a CD copy but you can pick them up cheaply. Then i noticed Qobus have both the original and remastered versions so i thought i'd have a listen to both to work out which to buy. Initaily impressed by the remaster i now prefer the original. This is a pattern i have often found. The only exceptions i have found are the kate bush remasters.

Reactions: Audio Al

Juancho

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 22, 2014
London
AKA
David
I tried the 'wrong' version quickly-the Qobuz double album. Sounds very clean nicely recorded on my system

Jules_S

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jun 7, 2019
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Comparing Deacon Blue and Talk Talk is like comparing an artichoke and a Kiwi fruit. Save for the fact that they are both edible there's little in common. DB Raintown and TT Colour of Spring are fundamentally different musical styles (I happen to love them both, but struggle with the link between them). TT's earlier stuff is more pop-oriented and might be a closer match although still not the same.

P.S. Colour of Spring production is excellent, especially the EMI 100 years LP re-issue if you can get it

Reactions: Craig_

vinyl4ever

Mr
Wammer Plus
Mar 29, 2020
Doncaster
primevehiclelogistics.com
AKA
Stewart
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
For the first time I have been impressed with the quality of a CD

Decon Blue " Raintown "

The production is amazing , The soundstage outstanding , Never heard a CD with this quality before , Shame more are not like this.

Do yourself a favour and buy one , It's this

https://www.discogs.com/release/1082609-Deacon-Blue-Raintown

Make sure it is a CBS 450549 2 and be ready to be amazed 😱

All I can say is WOW

Listening through my Ming Da valve CD player , AN Cobra intergrated amp and Tannoy Glenair speakers.

If you have this CD or decide to buy one please let me know your thought.buy the
Get a copy of Katie Melua Piece by Piece, one of the best recorded albums I've ver heard

Audio Al

Confirmed Super Numpty
Wammer
Nov 4, 2012
Boston, Lincs
AKA
Allen
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Get a copy of Katie Melua Piece by Piece, one of the best recorded albums I've ver heard
I ordered this CD , I found on my system the bass was a bit overblown , Music style also a bit laid back for my taste. Will give it another play in a few days.

Craig_

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 4, 2020
Norwich
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
No I don't have that , If it comes recomended I will see if I can obtain a copy.
One of the best from the 80’s imo. I have it on vinyl, Cd and digital download. Vinyl is my preference with this album.

StingRay

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Apr 27, 2016
Suffolk coast, UK
AKA
Ray
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Arrived today , Err as said not my cup of tea , Production is good lyrics and speed not so , Ho Hum , worth a try .
You may have give it a few more plays, took me a while to get into it. I prefer their next 2 albums, which are a lot different from this.

Jules_S

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jun 7, 2019
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Talk Talk as a group had quite a significant transition of style as they progressed. The earlier albums "The Party's Over" and "It's My Life" were more pop-oriented; singles such as "Today", "It's My Life" and "Dum Dum Girl" achieved moderate success in the UK. "The Colour of Spring" was more successful I think, and starts to show the transition from the pure pop towards their more jazz-influenced free-form stuff of the later albums.

"Spirit of Eden" takes this style a lot further, and by the time "Laughing Stock" came out it was a complete world apart from the early stuff. Apart from Hollis' vocals you'd probably never have said it was the same group, and TBH I find it quite challenging - it's an occasional listen for me rather than a regular favourite

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles