CD Ripper, storage, player

Headcoat

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Feb 15, 2006
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
My old NAD C521BEE is on it's last knees.

Thinking of a replacement is there anything out there that:

- Rips CD's to it's own internal hard drive
- Plays the ripped music via a built in DAC and/or via a optical/coaxial out
- It's be nice if it could double up as a streamer for Spotify/Qubiz too, though this isn't essential as my Yamaha WXA-D10 does a good enough job for me
- Has a way of backing up the ripped music e.g. to an external hard drive
- Can have music loaded onto it from an external hard drive

I've found the Bluesound Vault but it seems overkill as I don't need the bluOs multi-room stuff. Obviously I could use a laptop or even IMac into my existing DAC, but would prefer a more elegant solution controllable from the iPad.

Budget, preferably £500 but could stretch ti £1,00 if there's real benefits.

TIA

Reactions: garn63

hearhere

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 9, 2013
Portsmouth, UK
AKA
Peter
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The obvious solution that ticks all your boxes as well as simply playing CDs is the NAD M50.2. No DAC, but it has AES/EBU, coax and optical digital outputs and digital inputs. It has mirrored hard drives for security but also can be backed up elsewhere. Files can easily be moved from other hard drives onto the M50.2 - simply drag and drop. However when I saw your budget, this may be difficult to find on the used market, but worth searching for..

Some years ago I wanted just such a single box (CD player, CD ripper, twin HD music store and streamer) and the M50.2 was the only solution I could find apart from the very costly French Metranome.

For just ripping and storing files, take a look at Ripcaster's offerings. They have lots of alternative solutions. I bought a RipNAS from them that served well for 10 years before I bought the M50.2
Something like this may suit your needs - https://ripcaster.co.uk/zoneripper_max or https://ripcaster.co.uk/zoneripper_classic

Peter

Last edited:
Reactions: Headcoat

DomT

Food and coffee and rock n roll
Wammer Plus
Jul 23, 2019
Village near Nottingham.
AKA
Dom
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I was about to say that the obvious answer is the Innuos Zen Mini Mk3. I have one and it’s excellent. Then if you really like it you can add an external power supply and add an external DAC. The user interface is sublime for listening and editing Meta Data. Wonderful.

Headcoat

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Feb 15, 2006
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I was about to say that the obvious answer is the Innuos Zen Mini Mk3. I have one and it’s excellent. Then if you really like it you can add an external power supply and add an external DAC. The user interface is sublime for listening and editing Meta Data. Wonderful.
Thanks Dom. Looking at this now and am I right to say it needs an ethernet connection?

If so, any idea if connecting it up to a Devolo wi-fi extender via ethernet would work? It will be on a different floor of the house to the router so connecting to the router isn't an option.

Reactions: DomT

hearhere

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 9, 2013
Portsmouth, UK
AKA
Peter
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Yes, that's a budget alternative but you'll need to retain your CDP is you want to simply play CDs, there is no artwork display or remote control and you may want to back up regularly as it has one one drive - but it is a lot less costly. In fact the SSD is probably more secure than HD so backups perhaps less vital. Check out the control software and which platforms it's available on if you are used to the excellent BluOS with apps for 5 platforms - including Kindle for what that's worth! Peter

hearhere

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 9, 2013
Portsmouth, UK
AKA
Peter
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Thanks Dom. Looking at this now and am I right to say it needs an ethernet connection?

If so, any idea if connecting it up to a Devolo wi-fi extender via ethernet would work? It will be on a different floor of the house to the router so connecting to the router isn't an option.
You're likely to be better off using powerline adaptors rather than wi-fi extenders. These retain the "hard wired" feature that's more reliable than wi-fi as it uses your house wiring. Maybe:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/TL-PA4010PKIT-Passthrough-Powerline-Configuration-Required/dp/B01G5Q9E0O/ref=sr_1_3?crid=T8KQ9V3U9218&keywords=powerline+adapter&qid=1665761937&qu=eyJxc2MiOiI0LjQ1IiwicXNhIjoiMy45NSIsInFzcCI6IjMuNzkifQ%3D%3D&sprefix=powerline%2Caps%2C358&sr=8-3 Peter

DomT

Wammer Plus
Jul 23, 2019
Village near Nottingham.
AKA
Dom
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Yes, that's a budget alternative but you'll need to retain your CDP is you want to simply play CDs, there is no artwork display or remote control and you may want to back up regularly as it has one one drive - but it is a lot less costly. In fact the SSD is probably more secure than HD so backups perhaps less vital. Check out the control software and which platforms it's available on if you are used to the excellent BluOS with apps for 5 platforms - including Kindle for what that's worth! Peter
I think the market views Bluesound as more of a budget brand than Innuos. If you had the Innuos then the app on your phone or tablet is the remote control and screen. And why would you want to retain a CDP? I have one and never use it now that I have an Innuos and two Auralics Aries Mini and Altair G1.

DomT

Wammer Plus
Jul 23, 2019
Village near Nottingham.
AKA
Dom
HiFi Trade?
  1. No

Yes that should work. Am about to buy the one that Tuga just bought and did a thread about recently in the computer section. It was from TP buy I can’t remember it’s name right now.

It Cost How Much!?!

Twisted
Wammer
Oct 27, 2008
Hartford, Cheshire
AKA
Bob
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Having tried the Bluesound Vault (I sent it back) and gone down the Innuos path now, no contest, Bluesound an old product and flaky app. Innuos just works and is easy to use. You pay for this durability and easy of use of course.

Last edited:
Reactions: garn63 and DomT

Nopiano

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 19, 2016
Monmouthshire, Wales
AKA
Nick
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Abother brand that made a point of this functionality was Cocktail Audio, but that seems to have evolved into Novafidelity. Nothing exactly like you describe leapt out at me, but there’s a version with most features including a small amp for under a grand.

Personally, however, I’d look at the Innuos first because of its reputation.

Reactions: DomT and Headcoat

Headcoat

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Feb 15, 2006
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
You're likely to be better off using powerline adaptors rather than wi-fi extenders. These retain the "hard wired" feature that's more reliable than wi-fi as it uses your house wiring. Maybe:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/TL-PA4010PKIT-Passthrough-Powerline-Configuration-Required/dp/B01G5Q9E0O/ref=sr_1_3?crid=T8KQ9V3U9218&keywords=powerline+adapter&qid=1665761937&qu=eyJxc2MiOiI0LjQ1IiwicXNhIjoiMy45NSIsInFzcCI6IjMuNzkifQ%3D%3D&sprefix=powerline%2Caps%2C358&sr=8-3 Peter
Ah yes, what I have are powerline extenders, my bad.

Headcoat

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Feb 15, 2006
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I think the market views Bluesound as more of a budget brand than Innuos. If you had the Innuos then the app on your phone or tablet is the remote control and screen. And why would you want to retain a CDP? I have one and never use it now that I have an Innuos and two Auralics Aries Mini and Altair G1.
Call me old fashioned but it's nice to take the CD outta the case and put in the player sometimes. That said, I take your point and as I have a CD player and the CD's stored downstairs, the upstairs system would be best set with just a hard drive type player rather than using the actual CD's.

Chumpchops

From the safest places come the bravest words.
Wammer
Oct 3, 2014
Bristol
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Back ups are always vital. 3 copies. Primary , secondary and archive/LTR

sktn77a

Audio Dinosaur
Wammer
Nov 11, 2014
NC, USA
AKA
Keith
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
NAIM HDX or Core. The HDX has built in ripper, storage, DAC and rudimentary streaming. The Core has ripper, storage and digital/LAN outputs.

hearhere

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 9, 2013
Portsmouth, UK
AKA
Peter
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Yes, the Bluesound products are somewhat mid-fi but still excellent value and thus sell like hot cakes. My device is the NAD M50.2 which is a big step up from Bluesound and far more flexible than the Innuos, although I'm sure the latter does what it does very well.

Reasons for keeping a CDP? When visitor come with CDs they want to listen to, but you don't want to rip them first. I play CDs occasionally but I agree not often since I ripped my collection and now keep them in easily-accessible storage. I wouldn't want to be without a CDP.

Apps are often poorly planned, though perhaps the Innuos one is brilliant. Certainly the BluOS one is excellent. I'd not entertain a streamer that could only be controlled by a phone or even a tablet. My phone needs re-wakening after a few seconds of neglect, my iPhone after a minute or two - pain in arse when you often want immediate adjustments, or the phone is being used for some other purpose - perhaps making a phone call! The remote control with NAD offers this immediacy as does the Windows app that (I believe) is denied Innuos users.

I'm very happy with my M50.2 but would be far less so with the Bluesound product, as it offers so much less. I suspect I'd be disappointed with the Innuos for the same reason, despite its doubtless excellent streaming and ripping abilities.

Having said that, I'm now considering an electronics review and may end up by replacing the M50.2 with some alternative, though sadly this won't be possible in a single box. Peter

Last edited:

DomT

Wammer Plus
Jul 23, 2019
Village near Nottingham.
AKA
Dom
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Yes, the Bluesound products are somewhat mid-fi but still excellent value and thus sell like hot cakes. My device is the NAD M50.2 which is a big step up from Bluesound and far more flexible than the Innuos, although I'm sure the latter does what it does very well.

Reasons for keeping a CDP? When visitor come with CDs they want to listen to, but you don't want to rip them first. I play CDs occasionally but I agree not often since I ripped my collection and now keep them in easily-accessible storage. I wouldn't want to be without a CDP.

Apps are often poorly planned, though perhaps the Innuos one is brilliant. Certainly the BluOS one is excellent. I'd not entertain a streamer that could only be controlled by a phone or even a tablet. My phone needs re-wakening after a few seconds of neglect, my iPhone after a minute or two - pain in arse when you often want immediate adjustments, or the phone is being used for some other purpose - perhaps making a phone call! The remote control with NAD offers this immediacy as does the Windows app that (I believe) is denied Innuos users.

I'm very happy with my M50.2 but would be far less so with the Bluesound product, as it offers so much less. I suspect I'd be disappointed with the Innuos for the same reason, despite its doubtless excellent streaming and ripping abilities.

Having said that, I'm now considering an electronics review and may end up by replacing the M50.2 with some alternative, though sadly this won't be possible in a single box. Peter
The Innuos app is instantaneous so not a real problem although I can understand that some people would want a remote control. Until this thread it never occurred to me for a streamer. And regarding people bringing CDs round no time travellers here 😂😂 but LPs are another matter! 😂😂

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles