CD10 back in the rack

Gyp

Wammer
Wammer
May 7, 2013
Gloucestershire
My CD player needed a belt replacement a good while back and, to be honest, I messed it up. Rather than potentially make it worse I decided it would be best to send it to Marantz' authorised service centre.

For reasons that I can't entirely explain, having made that decision and boxed it up, it's sat in the spare room for about 3 years. But about 6 weeks ago I finally got round to shipping it.

It's now back, fully sorted and serviced, back in the rack and all connected in.

I reckon that it's probably been 4 or 5 years in total that I've been CD-free, so it was a wonder to pop a few disks in after an extended period of streaming.

I can definitely say that a CD10 - Rega DAC - Michi pre/power - 105/3 musical experience is far superior to the Sportify - pair of Echo Dot experience :)

It's like discovering HiFi all over again!

JANDL100

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Dec 5, 2006
Forest of Dean, Glos
AKA
Jerry
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I reckon that it's probably been 4 or 5 years in total that I've been CD-free, so it was a wonder to pop a few disks in after an extended period of streaming.

Strangely coincidentally, I bought a new CD player (well, actually 2 CD players) over the last few days, after several years of streaming.

And, like you, I'm thoroughly enjoying the experience! (y)

Gyp

Wammer
Wammer
May 7, 2013
Gloucestershire
How about a photo of your resurrected pride and joy?

XGJGNAz.jpg

nloUQ7L.jpg

Not my best photography, but is a reminder that I need to tidy up my cables at some point!

rabski

Everything in moderation
Staff member
Dec 2, 2006
Kettering
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I still use my Pioneer stable platter as a transport, as well as a somewhat temperamental Micromega transport. Never mind Spotify, on more than a few albums, CD sounds better than Qobuz 'CD quality' using the same DAC. Most times there's not a lot in it though (if anything), and the convenience factor is major. When I want inconvenience, I'd rather just play vinyl.

MVJ

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Apr 9, 2020
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
XGJGNAz.jpg

nloUQ7L.jpg

Not my best photography, but is a reminder that I need to tidy up my cables at some point!
Lovely player and system 👍

I have been listening to CD's since I bought my first player in the late 80's I just can't imagine not having my CD collection to play.

I have a vinyl set up too which is great and I also stream music mainly but stuff to see if I like it before getting a hard copy or if I'm feeling idle.

hiacedrifter

Wammer
Sep 26, 2017
Worthing
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
XGJGNAz.jpg

nloUQ7L.jpg

Lovely looking CD player, and my word those amps are glorious (I had to google them!)

RE upgrade/service "paralysis" (my word) I bought and sold a couple of items without ever listening to them ... just couldn't bring myself to do AB testing with CD v SACD player or CD v separate transport/dac. In the end they came and went and my Saturn CD never left it's shelf.

Jules_S

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jun 7, 2019
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Original Michi too, rather than the new one. I had the PH10 phono some years back and liked it very much. Build quality was stunning.

Love the CD10 - that's a proper behemoth!

Reactions: Gyp

Gyp

Wammer
Wammer
May 7, 2013
Gloucestershire
I still use my Pioneer stable platter as a transport, as well as a somewhat temperamental Micromega transport. Never mind Spotify, on more than a few albums, CD sounds better than Qobuz 'CD quality' using the same DAC. Most times there's not a lot in it though (if anything), and the convenience factor is major. When I want inconvenience, I'd rather just play vinyl.
The CD10 replaced a Pioneer PD-9700 which was pretty darned good and would likely still be used if I'd paired it with the Rega DAC way back when

Headcoat

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Feb 15, 2006
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
That Micromega transport has been temperamental for at least 15 years, I reckon it'll still be the same in another 15 😂

Reactions: Gyp

Juancho

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 22, 2014
London
AKA
David
I think Rabski you are using SPDIF between transport and DAC. I don't think you'll get the best out of streaming Qobuz until you've got your streamer in the same box connected via i2s. Done this way I much prefer Qobuz to CDs

Reactions: antonio66

Gyp

Wammer
Wammer
May 7, 2013
Gloucestershire
Err... has WAM got a confessional as I think I need it.

Connecting the CD player back in, I felt that it was good, but not as good as I remembered.

I put this down to my ears being 30 years older than when I bought the kit, and it being a few years since it was all together.

Tonight I plugged in the Celestion Ditton 44s in to check they were ok and something was missing. Something in the musicality wasn't quite there.

So I swung them round so they faced each other and moved them close.

You can probably see where this is going...

Anyway, after some investigation, it seems that the last time I wrestled the amp out for a dusting I got one set of speaker cables crossed over so the speakers were out of sync.

Unsurprisingly the 44s sounded an awful lot better after I sorted the cables out.

And having connected the Kefs back in, the system sounds awesome. Just like I remember.

...and goes some way to explain why I've found streaming to be more disappointing than it deserved to be for the last couple of years.

Ho hum.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.