Celestion 66s - Are MkIIs really that much better than MkIs?

kneesup

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 26, 2013
Wiltshire
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
MkIIs 66s seem to go for a lot more money than MkIs. Rarer, of course. Newer. And that different mid-driver. But do they actually sound different? Much?

kneesup

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 26, 2013
Wiltshire
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Mk2/II; Series2/II, same thing is it not? Or not? People seem to refer to them both ways. I know the S2/MkII have the veneer fronts. But it's the sound difference that interests me. I'm just trying to get a grip on the deeply variable pricing-vs-value of these things.

And is it just the mid that's different, technically? Or are there other differences? Cross-overs etc? Many thanks.

Leonard Smalls

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 14, 2005
Shropshire Borders,
Mark 1 (apologies for crap photo, off eBay where they're going for £555)

%24(KGrHqFHJBkFBRkuV0(lBRp5Oq8scg~~60_12.JPG

Mark 2

%24(KGrHqN,!qcFEOWU6V0lBRc5cMQ!GQ~~60_35.JPG

Series 2

click

So finish got better, mid/treble look the same on mk2 and series 2. ABR is round the back on the S2, and isn't a flat panel. Not only that but the cabinets are significantly deeper, and they sit on strange little cup feet. No idea about the crossover.

As for sound, no idea about mk1, 2. But I've put my S2s against a number of other speakers at significantly higher price points (such as ATC active 50s, Spendor S9, Audio Physic Virgo, Leema Xavier) and none (apart from the Leemas) have anything like the scale, and the Leemas only approached the bass extension.

kneesup

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 26, 2013
Wiltshire
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Ah! Now I understand. Thank you VERY much for such an informative reply. Got it. At last. I was watching the eBay ones, but S2s it clearly needs to be. When the time comes... Buying speakers 'on spec' and finding that they don't suit is a very stressful way of spending money. Thank you. Richard

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Today's Birthdays

Latest Articles

Wammers Online