ceramic resistor

SSM

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
Tipoca City
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Recently perused an older issue of a mag where the reviewer said he put a ceramic resistor between the treble and bass terminals of a pair of Ruark speakers - to attenuate the brightish treble.

The resistor replaced the supplied jumper and the Ruarks were single-wired at the bass terminal end. The result was a smoother treble response.

Question: what is a ceramic resistor? Where can I buy or make one? This seems to be an esoteric device because none of the local dealers I spoke to had any idea about it. If I can use one for the jumpers in my Eposes, it couldsecure me the great treble I need and save me a nice wad of cash from not having to buy a high-end speaker with that "perfect"treble.
rolleyes.gif.fd85f9fd5d171988ef004a59c04642db.gif

Truth be told, the M12.2 are just sooo right for me in every area, except I'd like a sauver treble unit.

Can it be done? I'm game to experiment.

SS

SSM

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
Tipoca City
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Glens of Antrim wrote:

Visit one of your favourite urinals & nick the toilet cistern & DIY:sw:
Cute.
71_71.gif.90e48c720ca56a2d2fa0532dd3380cc7.gif

Baron Ochs, if I were to redefine ceramic resistor for you --- it'll bethe brickI'd hurl at you to stop your amorous internet advances.
brickbat.gif

Shouldn't you be listening to your Chrisopher HOGwood classical discs?
biggrin.png

SS

penance

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 18, 2005
Disappearing up my o
A ceramic resistor is normaly where the resistive element is cased in ceramic, normaly high wattage types. Nothing special TBH.

<edit> Fogot to say, RS stock them.

SSM

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
Tipoca City
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
penance wrote:

A ceramic resistor is normaly where the resistive element is cased in ceramic, normaly high wattage types. Nothing special TBH.<edit> Fogot to say, RS stock them.
OIC:doh:Why on earth did that reviewer have to use such a fancy term then?

Wait, he was writing for HiFi News.
f_doh.gif.2bfa1ec008d0c8800eee305d3a30be23.gif

Ta,

SS

mosfet

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
Surrey
AKA
Richard
Ceramic resistor:

62822001.jpg

Also called a wirewound resistor or power resistor. Almost universally used in loudspeaker crossovers to reduce the output of the tweeter relative to the output of the woofer. Placing an additional resistor externally (as described) will further reduce the output of the tweeter. Try values of around 1.0 to 2.2 ohms.

In effect this will modify the crossover solid, you may or may not like the result. RS or Maplin (if they ‘av ‘em in your neck of the woods) will stock the resistors. Use 5 or 7 watt types.

meninblack

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 20, 2005
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
He he, this is a fancy way of saying he improvised a tone control which is exactly the same thing but inside the amp.
biggrin.png

"Attenuated the treble response using ceramic resistor jumpers" = "turned the treble down a bit"

But it sounds sooooo much more hi-fi, dahling.

M

murray johnson

although some (Tones?) will laugh, can I just point out that this type of resistor imho sounds utterly horrible and shouldn't be allowed anywhere near an audio signal if at all possible.

By all means try attenuating your tweeter's output if its a bit 'hot' but try to find another better resistor to do it with.

Try some non inductive thick film type or at least some of these Neohm ROX3S metal oxide film resistor types.

R214235-01.jpg

Only about 20p each from RS Components part no 214-2358A. (1 ohm)

M

Mr Coherent

A thick metal film resistor of at least 20watts of good quality should suffice
smile.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Louis_067