Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 27, 2021
Chino Valley, AZ
AKA
Rick
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
My current system is my LP12 with the Adikt and my phono amp is my MDSM/4. I have a almost new Hana EL that I used in my Clearaudio table with a Parasound XRM phono amp. What are the groups thoughts on changing out the Adikt and using the XRM?

akamatsu

Michael
Wammer Plus
Oct 9, 2018
Point Roberts, WA, USA (Vancouver)
AKA
Michael
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I'd say put on some Willie Nelson or Hank Williams and relax. :)

Maybe worth a try, but don't be too disappointed if it isn't as musical as the Adikt/Majik setup. I recall going from MC to MM and hearing an improvement. MC is overall better than MM, but not necessarily in all cases. Perhaps more replies here will guide you.

Mr Kandid

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
May 29, 2019
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
If I had to go that way I’d be looking at an ATVM95.
and one of the Metal body replacements.
IPT RigB 95 – Metal Body Upgrade For Audio-Technica VM95 Cartridges

Reactions: Dasher and Wenge1

ThomasOK

LP12 Whisperer, Lejonklou importer
Wammer
Oct 19, 2018
Westland, MI USA
AKA
Thomas O'Keefe
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
I was talking to my dealer a few months ago and he told me I wouldn’t believe how many install Radikal and Keels but keep their old Adikts. Mainly due to running out of cash but also because the Adikt still sounds amazing.
There are also those who keep it because, along with sounding better and better as you upgrade the turntable (and even more if run through a Lejonklou Slipsik8), it is also much less expensive when the stylus wears out!

Reactions: Nondigital Paul

rjinaz86323

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 27, 2021
Chino Valley, AZ
AKA
Rick
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
don't have anything to compare it to, but it sounds fantastic with the MDSM phono amp

Last edited:

formann

Øyvind I
Wammer
Oct 19, 2018
Ski Norway
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Considering that your LP12 has this spesfication: LP12 / Cirkus / Hercules II / Trampolin / Akito / Adikt , the Adikt is the least important item (although some FB LP12 group would state otherwise....
First: Karousel, then Lingo4 (can be found 2nd hand for good price), new inner chassis (Majik or Kore), then perhaps have your Akito checked. Assuming it's the first version it may do with a bearing service/upgrade.
A good idea is to visit a dealer for set-up and sercive.

Reactions: Wenge1

ThomasOK

LP12 Whisperer, Lejonklou importer
Wammer
Oct 19, 2018
Westland, MI USA
AKA
Thomas O'Keefe
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Considering that your LP12 has this spesfication: LP12 / Cirkus / Hercules II / Trampolin / Akito / Adikt , the Adikt is the least important item (although some FB LP12 group would state otherwise....
First: Karousel, then Lingo4 (can be found 2nd hand for good price), new inner chassis (Majik or Kore), then perhaps have your Akito checked. Assuming it's the first version it may do with a bearing service/upgrade.
A good idea is to visit a dealer for set-up and sercive.
Overall these are good recommendations except that you can't use the Karousel with a Hercules II or Valhalla. So the power supply upgrade would have to be done first or at the same time, even though the Karousel is more musically important.

rjinaz86323

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 27, 2021
Chino Valley, AZ
AKA
Rick
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Not that I am unhappy with the sound, just thinking of a possible upgrade that isn't as expensive as a Karousel or a Lingo

akamatsu

Michael
Wammer Plus
Oct 9, 2018
Point Roberts, WA, USA (Vancouver)
AKA
Michael
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Not that I am unhappy with the sound, just thinking of a possible upgrade that isn't as expensive as a Karousel or a Lingo

A lightweight, rigid, and stable turntable rack/stand can make quite a fundamental improvement. In case you don't already have one. I'd look at the NOKTable if it's still available.

sktn77a

Audio Dinosaur
Wammer
Nov 11, 2014
NC, USA
AKA
Keith
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I’d be interested in knowing peoples’ thoughts on good MM cartridges under $1000. I heard an Adikt many years ago and wasn’t impressed. Has it improved over the years? What about the AT760, Ortofons, Grados, Goldrings, Clear Audio? Others?

rjinaz86323

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 27, 2021
Chino Valley, AZ
AKA
Rick
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
A lightweight, rigid, and stable turntable rack/stand can make quite a fundamental improvement. In case you don't already have one. I'd look at the NOKTable if it's still available.
Currently using a Pangea Vulcan rack (4 shelf) sitting on a concrete/tile floor.

Reactions: akamatsu

rjinaz86323

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 27, 2021
Chino Valley, AZ
AKA
Rick
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Only way that could happen is with a wall rack. Don't have floor space for 2 stands.

Pangea is rigid and stable, but not sure if I would call it lightweight.

Reactions: akamatsu

llatpoh

Wammer
Wammer
May 27, 2022
The Free State Of Texas, USA
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I’d be interested in knowing peoples’ thoughts on good MM cartridges under $1000. I heard an Adikt many years ago and wasn’t impressed. Has it improved over the years? What about the AT760, Ortofons, Grados, Goldrings, Clear Audio? Others?
Goldring G1042 and Audio-Techica VM740ML are excellent performers and around $500.

Dasher

Wammer
Wammer
Jun 7, 2019
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I moved away from them some years ago. I thought that they had OK performance sonically at their original price point but when that climbed into £400+ there were better things available (I use an Ortofon 2M Black - but actually also prefer some of the sub£200 AT VM95s over the Adikt ("e" and upwards). What really pigged me off with the Adikt was the tendency of the suspension to drop within a very short (<1 yr) time period. I was replacing them long before the stylus had much wear. The later versions were certainly better in this respect. If I had an Adikt that was ready for replacement I'd be going with Mr Kandid's suggestion ATVM 95 and a RigB. If I had the Cirkus bearing then I'd put the money saved into a used Majik Sub Chassis. The MDSM PS is OK but the Lejonklou (even the early versions of the Gaia) MM PS easily outperform it (with an Adikt, Ortofon 2M, VM95 - I haven't tried any other combinations (oops - yes I have - add Shure VI5 iii to the list - the Gaia is much more versatile than its maker claims)!

Last edited:

sktn77a

Audio Dinosaur
Wammer
Nov 11, 2014
NC, USA
AKA
Keith
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I believe the Adikt is basikally(!) a Goldring 1042 in a different dress. It's $699 (US) now, so not a great saving over the Adikt. The AT-VM760SLC is an interesting cartridge. Don't care for the open cartridge bolt attachment but at $650, its a contender. Of course, no one demonstrates cartridges any more in the US so it's a gamble. The AT-VM95ML had threaded cartridge attachments and gets good reviews but its still a budget cartridge that I'm not sure belongs in a $10,000+ turntable.

Trunkmonkey

Wammer
Sep 10, 2018
My current system is my LP12 with the Adikt and my phono amp is my MDSM/4. I have a almost new Hana EL that I used in my Clearaudio table with a Parasound XRM phono amp. What are the groups thoughts on changing out the Adikt and using the XRM?
The Adikt and Majik phono board are both very engaging and voiced to suit your MDSM so, since you're happy with them, I'd look at other Linn upgrades as suggested. These should be less likely to throw the balance off and provide a more fundamental musical improvement. Having said that, you've not much to lose by trying out the other cart/phono.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles