esgilga

Wammer
Wammer
Jun 4, 2013
Glasgow
AKA
Steve
Hi all,

Can you help me with my first preamplifier!!!? - I'll probably be buying blind and am therefore only able to rely on the opinions of others - so no pressure! :)

I've just returned a faulty audiolab 8000q (the recent chinese model) and as a result I've decided to reconsider my budget.

I'm looking for something half decent, solid state I think, to tide me over until I can afford some bryston kit. Although I may just be dreaming about that last part.

Budget s/h up to £600 if particularly good at the price.

This is to go with pmc23 and 2xAdcom gfa555ii.

Any opinions/suggestions welcome, thanks.

Steve

seasidersrock

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 8, 2009
Blackpool
AKA
Ian
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Musical Fidelity. A1 FBP. Two box fully balanced, full remote, decent M/M M/C phono stage, USB Dac. They were £1500, but if your lucky you can pick one up for less than £500. A total bargain and worth every penny. Recommended. :^

HoopsOnToast

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Feb 6, 2006
Oxfordshire
AKA
Rob
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
You can get some of the older Bryston Pre amps within budget, if you are after one. What about a newer S/H Audiolab 8200Q?

If you can find one, a Doge 8 is well worth a look, I love mine and it has two pairs of RCA outputs and 1 pair of XLR as well as loads of inputs :^ Or the Icon LA3 if you dont mind another valve pre as well.

esgilga

Wammer
Wammer
Jun 4, 2013
Glasgow
AKA
Steve
If you can find one, a Doge 8 is well worth a look, I love mine and it has two pairs of RCA outputs and 1 pair of XLR as well as loads of inputs :^ Or the Icon LA3
These valve amps look good - I am going to look into them a bit more. I've no idea how valves will sound in my system but I'm open to suggestions.

Also will be looking out for affordable Bryston.

Having a look at the Musical Fidelity. A1 FBP - this looks really nice as well.

Cheers

esgilga

Wammer
Wammer
Jun 4, 2013
Glasgow
AKA
Steve
I have an Audiolab 8000A in very good condition which you could have for £185 delivered.I bought it as a temporary pre to use with a Behringer A500 into PMC FB1s whilst my Tandbergs were being serviced:
I'd rather go with a dedicated pre, thanks Ed.

bandit pilot

Comfortably Numb
Staff member
Jul 19, 2007
North Nott's
AKA
Rick
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Just sold my Plinius bang on your budget. There is plenty of high quality traffic through the classifieds so something is sure to be along. I think a valve pre on those big s/s powers might surprise you too. There is always the option to host a bake off and invite some of the local wammers round, complete with any kit you are interested in hearing. That's always a better idea than buying blind. There are several members in your area.

Cable Monkey

Staff member
May 16, 2006
Birmingham, UK
AKA
Henry
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Steve, take a look at this. If you want remote control etc then look elsewhere but this might tide you over and possibly convince you to spend your money differently.

esgilga

Wammer
Wammer
Jun 4, 2013
Glasgow
AKA
Steve
Just sold my Plinius bang on your budget.
CD-LAD? - if yer not fast yer last. Would have probably been ideal.

I'm coming over a bit gooey now looking into these tubes - they certainly have a seductive quality. I think, for fun at least, this is perhaps the way I ought to go.

Steve, take a look at this. If you want remote control etc then look elsewhere but this might tide you over and possibly convince you to spend your money differently
Had wondered about passive pre's as well Henry and the Tisbury looks very interesting. My source will be an oppo 95 - I'm assuming this would have enough output voltage.

The more I look into passives I'm thinking - If this can perform as well as the review implies - why pay more? Is it possible I will get better dynamics with an active amp? There's no way for me to know of course, without a bake off as previously suggested - which would be great, Rick, but not really practical for me right at the moment - hopefully sometime down the line, though. :party:

Passive, active, SS, or tubes - you wouldn't think it was much to choose from really. :?

I must admit though, tubes do come across as the best fun...

Cable Monkey

Staff member
May 16, 2006
Birmingham, UK
AKA
Henry
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Steve,

all configurations have their pro's and cons. People do need to take care though because many who shout the praises of one particular type often do so on the basis of very large expenditures or finding rare exotica. Lower down the food chain taking valves as an example, their supremacy is much less emphatic and I am close to giving up on meaningfully improving on my passive pre-amp at the sort of prices that won't have me strung up by the Mrs! The Tisbury is well worth a punt in my view, particularly if all you need is a filler until you can afford what you really want. :)

esgilga

Wammer
Wammer
Jun 4, 2013
Glasgow
AKA
Steve
So now that you've got your big fancy plinius you want to offload your cast off on me?

Just kidding!! - this looks like a lovely thing - or should I say Ming-thing. The glowing review of a modded version certainly adds to the intrigue.

It does seem like a bit of a pain to site, although I see this as a relatively minor gripe. I will admit I am quite tempted (mmmm, glowy sweet bulbs), but at the moment - unsure.

The more I read about passives it seems there is a lot of outlay sidestepped here, and in theory it makes a lot of sense. Certainly this looks to be a sensible option, particularly if I am waiting to upgrade.

However I have just seen a Musical Fidelity A1 FBP new for £599 del - I am very tempted to pull the trigger on this.

esgilga

Wammer
Wammer
Jun 4, 2013
Glasgow
AKA
Steve
I did bite the bullet on the mf - the guy told me it was the last one in stock - I got nervous and panicked! :nerves:

Valves will have to wait - maybe not for long though judging by some of the prices around here, and I definitely want to experience them - thanks Rob.

Also, passive amps are something I might have a go with too in the future, especially regarding the price of the Tisbury.

So, even if I haven't made the right choice (only time will tell) and I did intend to spend a bit more time over this, at least now I'll have an SS pre to reference against.

flapland

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Feb 17, 2007
Hampstead, London UK
AKA
Paul
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Congrats, a few people have had the A1 FBP and for £600 you should be able to make about the same should it not work out for you.

esgilga

Wammer
Wammer
Jun 4, 2013
Glasgow
AKA
Steve
I absolutely take my last remarks back ^. Burn-in, psycho-acoustics? - take your pick. This is sounding really, really good now and not harsh as I had initially perceived.

After being more and more impressed over the weekend (a sober one - important to note), I am a much happier chappy. :D :D:D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Today's Birthdays

Latest Articles