Wammer
Dec 25, 2009
Devon
AKA
Shaun
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
It seems soon I'll have to have some nasty phonos in my system again :?

Any recommendations for some cheapo shielded interconnects that'll do the job? Not looking for any foo. Just something that is .... well constructed and does the job.

Should I be using shielded interconnects for the phono stage + sut? I've got hum before with my turntable and cured it with a £4 triple shielded phono I bought used on eBay, whereas the kimber one hummed like a bitch. :nup:

2 x 1mtr needed I thinks, or 2x50cm depending where I put it due to hum :minikev:

Cheers.

Jazid

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Oct 13, 2009
London
AKA
James
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Well Shaun, it looks like you've answered your own question! £4 interconnects from eBay seem to fit the bill... It seems obvious to me that in sensitive stages shielded interconnects are essential rather than optional. I am also no fan of i/cs with the shield grounded at only one end :nup: Go with the cheap option, and if I may enquire - why are you asking? Is there a bunch of money burning a hole in your pocket or is it the endless niggle that there might be something better out there?

kernow

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 25, 2009
Devon
AKA
Shaun
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
hehe, it's mainly because if there's something out there for you know.. 20 quid for the pair or whatever I'd just have those. I'm not really interested in what difference they make because it'll be negligible.

I'll just keep an eye out on eBay then :)

G

geoffp67

Cant remeber the name now. I bought an interconnect from evilbuy for a few quid a while ago and was impressed by its performance for the peanuts it cost. Was new, the seller only sold his own "brand" of wires.

Clive197

Wammer
New Wammer
May 28, 2013
LONDON UK
AKA
Clive
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
A good bet is "Maplins " they have a reputation for selling good interconnect with gold plated RCA's for very little money.

kernow

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 25, 2009
Devon
AKA
Shaun
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
Will have a look. Found some on eBay in the netherlands for £5 a pair posted, they might do :)

cjr

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 8, 2005
UK
Embrace Component Cables ..... the misers way to cheap cabling. I have 4 sets of QED PCV1 in my systems cost me £15 a set of 3RCA (just for neatness and tidiness when routing 5.1 from the Denon DVD-2900) plenty to choose from Ixos/QED/etc, Belkin do good uns as well.... just spotted these very cheap £6, shielded ...... Amazon specials ....

http://www.amazon.co.uk/AmazonBasics-3RCA-Component-Video-Cable/dp/B001TH7GT6/ref=pd_sim_sbs_ce_1

You can choose "audio" cables but these generally have a premium on them due to the audiophile who buy them ..... so step back to component video cables (cheap as chips due to HDMI and bag yourself a bargain)

81dAyVxGMlL._SL1500_.jpg

FiftyPlus

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 5, 2007
, , United Kingdom
A good bet is "Maplins " they have a reputation for selling good interconnect with gold plated RCA's for very little money.
I know there are those on here that say that they all sound the same, but I have heard some shockers that make the basic ones sound good. Can't comment on Maplins but would personally recommend paying a little bit more and go for some QEDs in the £20 - £35 range. These seem to improve on the basics without introducing new sonic abberations, and make very firm contact.

Clive197

Wammer
New Wammer
May 28, 2013
LONDON UK
AKA
Clive
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I know there are those on here that say that they all sound the same, but I have heard some shockers that make the basic ones sound good. Can't comment on Maplins but would personally recommend paying a little bit more and go for some QEDs in the £20 - £35 range. These seem to improve on the basics without introducing new sonic abberations, and make very firm contact.
The Maplin cables (£15-20) were well received on many forums and mentioned in HiFi mags as very good value and in a lot of cases bettered cables costing £50.00

cjr

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 8, 2005
UK
Shaun always worth making your own ..... have made all manners of cables up....Neutrik RCA, Neutrik XHD XLR, Van Damme & Belden cables ...... Audusa RCA, Solid silver blah de blah .... great to play around with them ...... all sound exactly the same as component cables ..... but fun none the less.

kernow

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 25, 2009
Devon
AKA
Shaun
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
Yeah, I should and it'd be a bit of fun but I don't have the time sadly.

Response from that seller above:

Yes indeed, these actual cables in this auction have dual screens of conductive thermoplastic and close lapped copper grounding around the live wire. They offer excellent noise rejection and perform excellently in the majority of situations. They are perfect for turntable use in my experience (I have turntables myself and lots of outboard equipment including some mastering equipment - Thermionic Culture/SSL/API etc and use the XKE for most of my studio). I am sure you would be perfectly satisfied with the Van Damme / Neutrik combo and if you have any problems with interference (highly unlikely I would say) I will happily cover return shipping and give you a full refund,
Bollocks or will those do the job? I might just get those.

awkwardbydesign

Perfect, apparently.
Wammer
Mar 5, 2012
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I bought some cheap Neutrik Rean (Chinese) plugs as I needed some very narrow ones; they seem fine and cope with repeated use. Some fancy looking plugs get loose very quickly. I would trust Neutrik to stand up to abuse, I use their XLRs, Powercon and Speakon plugs and sockets with confidence. Of course, they all sound completely different. :run:

- - - Updated - - -

Actually, that's £12.20 of foo.

kernow

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 25, 2009
Devon
AKA
Shaun
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
Mmmhh, will work out where stuff needs to go and plump for those probably, but that's possibly 20 quid!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Today's Birthdays

Latest Articles

Wammers Online