Cheap upgrade wanted!

hifistudent

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 7, 2005
Brighton or Newcastl
Hey all,

As I am sure you were all at one stage in your life (skint!) I need your help in cheap upgrades. I use my system for music and is as follows:

Rotel RA 03

Cyrus CD6

Monitor Audio S8

Ruku M1000

Sennheiser HD650

Chord Carnival Silver Plus Bi-wire spk cable

QED 4 interconnects

I have recently used some granite as isolation for my CD player and speakers and now guess I should next try to improve the mains. Looking around there appear to be loads of options. I saw the Russ Andrews Yell0 cable as well as others @ around £30 (also, if i was to buy one at a time which should i do first, amp or CD player?) Is it worth paying a bit extra? or even making my own? Or would sound for pound power not be the best upgrade?

Suggest away.....

cjr

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 8, 2005
UK
Depends on how much money you have to spend Student, I’d opt for saving my money up and getting better kit, component by component before fannying around with mains or power cables. I have found much better upgrades in kit than “tweaking†FWIW. The cables you currently have are perfectly up to the job (In fact IMHO you have spent too much on them already). Looking back on money I spent on cables (ICs – Digital & Anlg, Power cables) I would have reached a much better system by saving my money and getting the components I have now a lot earlier.

HTHs

PS there is a blind test of a £30 RA power cord you mention on this site somewhere you should find it rather interesting use the search facility.

andrew1810

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
Northumberland, , Un
Get a DAC for the Roku, when I had the M1000, I found the in-built DAC to be average at best, I added a cheapo Dac-In-The-Box and it sounded much better.

Better still, sell the Roku and buy a Squeezebox, I did and didn't look back!!

Andrew

mosfet

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
Surrey
AKA
Richard
As CJ says, save your money and put this toward kit upgrades when you have sufficient funds. If you do wish to try some hi-fi mains cables look for those that have undergone approved testing or carry the CE mark (QED, Chord, Supra).

Avoid the shoddy crap available on eBay.

andrew1810

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
Northumberland, , Un

Uncle Ants

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 11, 2005
East Midlands, Unite
AKA
Tony
£100? Buy a second hand turntable and putthe Rotel's nonetoo shabby phono stage to good use I'd say (but then again I would, wouldn't I
cool.gif.9d6c72c555b38e519336a6d9b55ca875.gif
).

hifistudent

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 7, 2005
Brighton or Newcastl
tongue.png

I have no records! I think i'm too young to start on that! I know, i know they sound better.......But i'm a kid of the 21st century
ohmy.png

Also a cheap one would be crap, if I were to do it i would at least do it properly.

Cheers for the eBay links. I will keep an eye out.

JamPal

Content Provider
Wammer
Jul 19, 2005
Sussex, West Side
AKA
James
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
£150.00 would buy my Rega Planar 2, it has a new RB200 arm and a hardly used Rega Super Bias cart. Far from crap but only if you can afford the big black CD's.
biggrin.png

Uncle Ants

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 11, 2005
East Midlands, Unite
AKA
Tony
hifistudent wrote:

tongue.png
I have no records! I think i'm too young to start on that! I know, i know they sound better.......But i'm a kid of the 21st century
ohmy.png

Also a cheap one would be crap, if I were to do it i would at least do it properly.
Rega's are pretty good value second hand as the Boss points out or down a notch a 2nd hand Pro-Ject Debut (a III though not a II) would probably set you back less than 70 notes and put you well on the road to addiction. Besides all your mates'll think you're cool ... which of course you would be :dude:

PS. Uncle Ants subscribes the "Morely Thesis" - In the21st century we will either listen to vinyl or downloads andCDs will be curios
wink.png

yoda900

Wammer Plus
Sep 20, 2005
Cheshire
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Look at the DIy cheapo tweaks on the thread. Well worth forgoing only a pint or two.

The less favourable position your kit is placed in ie digs/bedroom the more beneficial isolation will be and costs buttons.

icehockeyboy

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 14, 2005
Torquay Devon. UK
AKA
Craig
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
In my experience , despite having 2 RA yello's, and a Classik, i dont think its made any difference......and re a turntable, if youve got no vinyl, dont bother!The thing that has made the biggest difference has been the Ic's and speaker cable.

gsrai

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 18, 2005
Black Country
AKA
Gobind
icehockeyboy wrote:

In my experience , despite having 2 RA yello's, and a Classik, i dont think its made any difference......and re a turntable, if youve got no vinyl, dont bother!The thing that has made the biggest difference has been the Ic's and speaker cable.
Unfortunately (for me
biggrin.png
) I agree with ICE.

For a £100 I would seek out some better interconnects (you could probably get some decent chord/van den hul's). If you want to match amp with cd player I have seen the cyrus 6 amp and 8 amps at good prices on ex-dem so you could ship the Rotel (don't know how good it is but over time I have come to beleive in the synergies of one brand one world
smile.png
)

Just a thought but sony6 is selling some Atlas voyagers!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hczxynbvtr