Wammer
Wammer Plus
Dec 5, 2006
Forest of Dean, Glos
AKA
Jerry
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I've only heard a DAVE once, and that very briefly and with psu mods and an Mscaler. So not really representative of its basic capability.
Even so, it struck me immediately as musical and "right".
I'm not at all sure I want to hear one in my own system!

Interesting observations about the Quad II. Quite a few years back I had a loaner refurbished pair. They were so laidback they were horizontal.
So, is the difference the "live" sounding Cornwalls or the nature of the refurb?
I'll probably never know!

Reactions: Ian and deggie

Ian

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Aug 27, 2008
United Kingdom
AKA
Ian
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Interesting observations about the Quad II. Quite a few years back I had a loaner refurbished pair. They were so laidback they were horizontal.
So, is the difference the "live" sounding Cornwalls or the nature of the refurb?
I'll probably never know!
Indeed, this is a really good point. I suppose there are so many variables

Ian

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Aug 27, 2008
United Kingdom
AKA
Ian
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
…And once again, @Ian has maintained his recent form of buying up equipment when visiting my place! I’ll drop the Quads over Monday mate ;)
A darn fair price for a pair of serviced QIIs. Cheers.

I was thinking of getting another 303 anyway, so these are like that but with big bottles on !

Reactions: Nagraboy

Nagraboy

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 21, 2014
Nottingham
AKA
Greg
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
A darn fair price for a pair of serviced QIIs. Cheers.

I was thinking of getting another 303 anyway, so these are like that but with big bottles on !

No doubt PJW would call me a silly bugger, but I do prefer the IIs to the 3O3! Think I’ll keep both here permanently.

Reactions: Ian

Nagraboy

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 21, 2014
Nottingham
AKA
Greg
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
@Ady

My Cornwall IIIs are actually your former pair. Your new IVs sounded surprisingly good in that cupboard you were given at the show. I reckon the Corner/Wall design makes placement quite easy.

I’ve got the Icon Audio PS2 MkII here but would love to hear your two-box PS3 directly into my Quads sometime.

Ady

Shoebox Ady. United by a love of music & equipment
Wammer Plus
Oct 13, 2018
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
@Ady

My Cornwall IIIs are actually your former pair. Your new IVs sounded surprisingly good in that cupboard you were given at the show. I reckon the Corner/Wall design makes placement quite easy.

I’ve got the Icon Audio PS2 MkII here but would love to hear your two-box PS3 directly into my Quads sometime.
Not a problem, I would be quite happy to bring the PS3MK2 over to yours for a listen. Could probably bring my amp with it's new Western Electric 300b 's if you were interested. Monday to Thursdays work for me. Pm me if you want to sort something out.
Cheers
Ady

Reactions: Nagraboy

DomT

Food and coffee and rock n roll
Wammer Plus
Jul 23, 2019
Village near Nottingham.
AKA
Dom
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
What a surprise result- Ian bought something!!! Ha ha ha. Thanks for the right up. Interesting how the ‘pipe and slippers’ Quad amps sounded modern. A great example of why the speaker and amp combination is so important.

Psilonaught

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 16, 2007
Saffron Walden
AKA
James
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Nice read, thanks for sharing.

The comments re the Quads don't surprise me. In my experience pentode amps can sound "modern" and transistor like. Caveat being I've not heard any pentode amps with a triode setting.

dave

incurable tinkerer
Wammer
Mar 24, 2014
cambs
AKA
dave
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I like my quad iis as art objects, mine really weren't happy doing bass at higher levels, but keep them in their comfort zone, was really pleasantly surprised. I too though they were total syrup fest on previous experiences.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles