Chord Electronics

AdamK

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 29, 2005
Bucks/Herts border
I've been a dedicated Naim fan since 1997 :naimee:

Every now and again I get this affliction that I call the 'audiophool dilemma' where I suddenley see a piece of kit for sale and it starts me wondering.

I have spotted a Chord CPM2600 integrated on ePay - Will it sound better than my current system. (Naim 52 + 4 x135's)

Chord is a supposed good match for my Nautilus speakers. Do I sell 6 boxes of Naim and replace with one (admittedly bling tastic:love:) box from Chord ? SWMBO would certainly agree to replacing 6 boxes with just one.

What is anyone's verdict on Chord ??? Over engineered fascias masking average sonics or sound to die for ? I see Abbey Road are replacing all their chord amps with Classe.

Is this just the early stages of senility setting in or has my mind been unsettled by hearing different gear at Papa's bake-off ?

Davewhityetagain

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 24, 2005
, ,
AdamK wrote:

I've been a dedicated Naim fan since 1997 :naimee:Every now and again I get this affliction that I call the 'audiophool dilemma' where I suddenley see a piece of kit for sale and it starts me wondering.

I have spotted a Chord CPM2600 integrated on ePay - Will it sound better than my current system. (Naim 52 + 4 x135's)

Chord is a supposed good match for my Nautilus speakers. Do I sell 6 boxes of Naim and replace with one (admittedly bling tastic:love:) box from Chord ? SWMBO would certainly agree to replacing 6 boxes with just one.

What is anyone's verdict on Chord ??? Over engineered fascias masking average sonics or sound to die for ? I see Abbey Road are replacing all their chord amps with Classe.

Is this just the early stages of senility setting in or has my mind been unsettled by hearing different gear at Papa's bake-off ?
I have at various times got to play with most Chord kit, and its good with the right speakers B&W is I think the best match even better than the big Tannoys which is one reason I did not buy it the CPM2600 is a very good amp will last for ever and is not too expensive compared with some of there amplifiers

Having used that amp against a 200 202 with hi cap npsc2 power supply and 202 250-2 Chord with B&W 804 sounded better (to me)

its an amp which is never going to be mistaken for a valve amp unlike some big amps

have you a link to the sale on eBay.........
cool.gif.9d6c72c555b38e519336a6d9b55ca875.gif

Papa Lazarou

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 18, 2005
Bletchley, Bucks
AKA
Phil
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
:sw: That Bake-off has been expensive....

When i bought my previous B & Ws i asked about the Nautilus range and the Salesman remarked that they're an excellent match for Chord amps. Mmmmmm....

Leonard Smalls

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 14, 2005
Shropshire Borders,
Never heard Chord gear with B&Ws, though I've heard it in full shred your face off mode with some brighter speakers.

I've also heard it sounding most excellent with the huge Dynaudios (the strange very tall ones that cost the price of a house in Blaenau Gwent), though it was soundstage and air'n'space that impressed, not the "music" which was some hippy chick wailing about her misery*...

*Eva...

Kiang

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 21, 2005
Leeds, , United King
Heard the chord with nautilus speakers at the manchester show.

Awful is the word.

Even accounting for room interactions etc - definately a no- no.

Don't blame the nautilus - its proved itself before well.

Others from here have been to the show - doubt they'll disagree.

There are some systems that would merit a second chance demo in a "better" environment but not the chord - it will have to make a complete metamorphosis IMO

G

I like Chord but its very much a house sound that verges on the cusp of agressive and bright at times so source and speakers are essential. B&W do go well with it as do Avalons and Spendors ( getting the picture here Adam). My only caveat with Chord is how much are you paying for the impressively milled box and what did they really spend inside. TBH mate if its an e-bay purchase its an awful big gamble if you don't like it. Get one on demo first . Boring but the safer option

G

Kiang wrote:

There are some systems that would merit a second chance demo in a "better" environment but not the chord - it will have to make a complete metamorphosis IMO
Me too, same at Glasgow show with the Lawrence Dickie speakers, dreadfull!!!!!

A

Alex A

From an admittedly limited experience with Chord amplification, I admire it but wouldn't choose it myself. Can be spectacular, but often overly clinical. Of course it depends entirely on what speakers you want to partner it with.

Personally I'd prefer Krell class A or MF KW, or Sugden Masterclass. But I can see why you'd choose the Chord over these if you have different priorities.

griffo104

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 30, 2005
Newport
AKA
Griffo
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Alex_A wrote:

From an admittedly limited experience with Chord amplification, I admire it but wouldn't choose it myself. Can be spectacular, but often overly clinical. Of course it depends entirely on what speakers you want to partner it with.
These echo my thoughts from listening to Chord - in both a dealership and at shows. Fantastic build, and technically very forward thinking but seem to lack a little love.

If I had some serious money to put down an some new amps I would seriously have a look at Spectral - I was so impressed with these at a show a couple of years ago. Would be very high on my list.

for me these had all the Naim attributes of old but with a level of detail and hifi that the Naim gear lacked.

Hawk

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 25, 2005
Herts, United Kingdo
glum.gif.19305e5ca189352e84c85f8ec971e437.gif
:nup:Adam, don't do it
:nup:

I had Chord before the Naim, and whilst it has its merits in comparison I would describe it as lacking in soul...

I had a CPA2200/SPM1200B.... Grip and control by the bucketfull but lacking in pace, it did great soundstage but lacked groove...

Regards

Hawk

AdamK

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 29, 2005
Bucks/Herts border
griffo104 wrote:

If I had some serious money to put down an some new amps I would seriously have a look at Spectral - I was so impressed with these at a show a couple of years ago. Would be very high on my list.for me these had all the Naim attributes of old but with a level of detail and hifi that the Naim gear lacked.
Know what you mean re Spectral : The guy I bought my Nautilus 803's off was running Spectral amps with an Audio Aero CD.

It was a lovely sound for seperation, soundstage, detail etc. If I had unlimited funds I would certainly demo some Spectralbut I think it's more suited to classical, acoustic, Jazz.

Naim is not the last word in detail - Rythym and Pace are the Naim strengths. Horses for courses I guess. Duvet's Wadia revealed bass detail on a Radiohead disc last week that I've not heard before but when I listened again back home on my gear there was still a certain something which I think makes Naim different to most others - It's just a matter of personal taste as to wether you like it or not.

AdamK

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 29, 2005
Bucks/Herts border
Hawk wrote:

:nup:I had Chord before the Naim, and whilst it has its merits in comparison I would describe it as lacking in soul...

I had a CPA2200/SPM1200B.... Grip and control by the bucketfull but lacking in pace, it did great soundstage but lacked groove...

Regards

Hawk
I'd forgotten you were an ex Chord man. Was that with B&W speakers - I know you had some once ?

The voice of reason from a highly esteemed moderator (along with the majority of other comments on this thread) has cured me of my Audiophool curiosity.

Naim it is, and Naim it remains. :naimee:

p.s.: Hawk - Still interested in borrowing your 300 to see how much more air it can shift than my 135's.:lwink:

h

E

Effem

Hawk wrote:

:nup:I had Chord before the Naim, and whilst it has its merits in comparison I would describe it as lacking in soul...

Regards

Hawk
Congratulations Hawk, that description lacked one single objective comment. Good man
thumbs_up.gif.3c8ee62eda0e86146178ab30b9facd86.gif

enbee23

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 22, 2005
North of Scotland,
AKA
Nick
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
analoguekid wrote:

Me too, same at Glasgow show with the Lawrence Dickie speakers, dreadfull!!!!!
You're not wrong...

Spent a wee bit of time in that room as there did seem to be potential for good sound there but most of the time it just sounded glassy and processed/artificial.

To my ears, it was definitely the electronics at fault (full mini-Chord stack) and indeed the guys from Vivid were almost apologetic about using it.

G

Sorry Adam but i didn't get off scot free. I can't even look my Monitor Audio's in the eyes. They just know i'm planning to do the dirty on them.
icon_redface.gif.eb51a1f92a0314cdfc14dd3cb4473da1.gif

Papa Lazarou

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 18, 2005
Bletchley, Bucks
AKA
Phil
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Duvet wrote:

Sorry Adam but i didn't get off scot free. I can't even look my Monitor Audio's in the eyes. They just know i'm planning to do the dirty on them.
icon_redface.gif.eb51a1f92a0314cdfc14dd3cb4473da1.gif
:raoflmfao::raoflmfao::raoflmfao::raoflmfao:

You know it Danny...that was one expensive bloody Bake-off last weekend eh?

First i go out and order a 581 and now your GR20s are on their way out too.

:sw:

Hawk

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 25, 2005
Herts, United Kingdo
Adam,

The chords were indeed used with a range of B&Ws, some 603s, CDM1NT's , 7's and also the 805 Signatures, all spearately of course
wink.png

No problem re the 300.. we can sort something out when ever you like

Hawk

AdamK

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 29, 2005
Bucks/Herts border
Hawk wrote:

Adam,The chords were indeed used with a range of B&Ws, some 603s, CDM1NT's , 7's and also the 805 Signatures, all spearately of course
wink.png

Hawk
mmmm.....805 sigs.....beautiful.

Re the 300 - I 'll get to work on the wife having a few days up at her mums (and taking the bairn with her)
wink.png

Davewhityetagain

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 24, 2005
, ,
Hawk wrote:

Adam,The chords were indeed used with a range of B&Ws, some 603s, CDM1NT's , 7's and also the 805 Signatures, all spearately of course
wink.png

Hawk
I used that chord amp with 802 on loan :(804 mine and CDM 1 NT it went well with all

one thing no one has said, is that more than any other amp the chord amps are cable fussy

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zlatan