Cleaning vinyl

David Pinnegar

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 26, 2010
Hi!

In the days of my youth it was said that playing vinyls wet killed all the surface noise but thereafter the disc was much noisier, for ever.

Is there some new technique?

Best wishes

David P

topoxforddoc

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 11, 2009
Cheltenham, , United
AKA
Charlie
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
On my Moth RCM,

The record gets 5-10 rotations with cleaning fluid and a brush, then 3 rotations of vacuum to dry (too much drying leads to more static). If it's completely filthy, then perhaps 10-15 rotations of wash, but that's as much as it ever needs.

Charlie

G

Hi!In the days of my youth it was said that playing vinyls wet killed all the surface noise but thereafter the disc was much noisier, for ever.

Best wishes

David P
Not new no, 1965ish.

It is wet vacuuming. The liquid is removed after by vacuum or with the cheaper systems just drip dry.

SergeAuckland

Certified Measurist
Wammer
May 6, 2008
Bury St Edmunds, UK
AKA
Serge
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hi!In the days of my youth it was said that playing vinyls wet killed all the surface noise but thereafter the disc was much noisier, for ever.

Best wishes

David P
You're thinking if wet playing, not wet cleaning. Wet playing, first proposed by Lenco, if I remember correctly, involved applying a small amount of fluid to the record from an arm similar to a dust-bug but dispensing fluid. The idea was that the fluid would lift the dirt and keep it in suspension whilst the stylus ploughed through the wet thin mud. At the end of the play, and surplus fluid was mopped up with a cloth and the record put away damp. Unfortunately what then happened is that the mud dried hard and next time the record was played dry, it was very noisy, so once played wet, always played wet thereafter.

This is completely different to wash and vacuum wet cleaners which clean the record leaving it dry.

S

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Today's Birthdays

Latest Articles