mojojojo

Wammer
Wammer
Jun 2, 2009
glasgow, , United Ki
AKA
Arch
J

ust bought a couple of new lp‘s a was saddened by the amount of dust on them.They came sealed so the dust must have come from the factories.Any body know the best way to clean them.I always used ipa but my cart advises not to as it migbt loosen the adhesive in the needle.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

alphatoner

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 17, 2007
Tring, Herts
AKA
Ian
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Cleaning options in order of price and effectiveness are

Roller/brush £10+

Warm soapy water and cleaning brush £10+

Discomatic Manual revolving cleaning £30+ (one of the wam dealers do a version of this at £40/50)

Vacuum RCM at £250+

Take your choice depending on your budget

rockmeister

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 24, 2005
Scotland
AKA
John
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
As above really. The bigger your collection grows, the more it makes sense to buy a proper wet cleaner with vacuum removal of the waste fluid, but if you have 10 albums it's probably an unjustified use of resources.

In time, ALL your albums will need a clean no matter how careful you are with them.

My 2P is:

0=50 LP's, all new: Put them in anti static sleeves, store them just cool and dry and firmly upright. Each play starts with a dust off with a velvet pad and carbon anti static brush. This will be fine, but you will hear surface noise on many.

50-250 albums, mixed ages: Buy a hand rotated cleaner which holds the LP vertically in a bath of proper cleaning fluid. Before leaving to dry in a drying rack or etc, gently remove any fluid left with a pad of kitchen towel, then store as above.

Over 250 albums you really should get a vacuum wet cleaner.

I have tried all sorts of cheap methods of cleaning and don't think I ever damaged a record, but nothing does the job like a vacuum machine.

Chumpy

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 3, 2005
Bristol UK
AKA
Charlie
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
There are many historical clues on this topic before 'dust' of ages accrues.

From millions of years experience/expenditure, I aver that most filthy analogue vinyl is fine via careful Fairy Liquid cleaning.

RobHolt

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 28, 2006
East London
AKA
Rob
To just remove surface dust the old Discwasher pads are excellent.

It must be the 'old' pad though and not current production which just spreads the dust around.

The original Discwasher pad uses angled bristles so that as you rotate the pad on top of the spinning disc, dust is lifted and held in the pad.

Works a treat but only if used correctly. Fluid is rarely required IME:

$(KGrHqR,!o4FJ,kO)SB8BSYbLnJ1QQ~~60_57

You also get to own possibly the only audio product ever to come with an american walnut wood-effect instruction manual :)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles