Clearaudio Champion Level 2 verses Michell full ORB

S

skyman

Considering a possible trun table switch. Michell full orb with SME V and Dynavector XVS-1. Same rig on a clearaudio Champion Level 2. Any opinions or experiences people??

Purite Audio

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 29, 2007
London, UK
AKA
Keith
I would have thought they would sound pretty much identical, try direct drive in place of the rubber band.

Keith.

S

skyman

I would have thought they would sound pretty much identical, try direct drive in place of the rubber band.Keith.
So...a starting point might be?

Purite Audio

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 29, 2007
London, UK
AKA
Keith
I owned an Orbe for best part of twenty years replaced it with another belt drive this time high mass without suspension,( which I preferred) bought an SP 10 direct drive which I preferred to either.

To the Op you really need to hear all 'possibles' in your system but with turntable Ethan is of course extremely difficult.

Keith.

pmac

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 19, 2005
I owned an Orbe for best part of twenty years replaced it with another belt drive this time high mass without suspension,( which I preferred) bought an SP 10 direct drive which I preferred to either.To the Op you really need to hear all 'possibles' in your system but with turntable Ethan is of course extremely difficult.

Keith.
So, why do you suggest that those two t/t's would sound "almost identical"

- - - Updated - - -

Is it because they are both belt drive?

pmac

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 19, 2005
Why would you think they would sound significantly different ,the Orbe's suspension?Keith.
You stated in post #2 that you preferred one belt drive t/t over another, due to different (or lack of) suspension :dunno:

Purite Audio

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 29, 2007
London, UK
AKA
Keith
The high mass deck was a TW AC, one of the best engineered turntables available the Orbe did sound a bit wobbly in comparison,

Keith.

pmac

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 19, 2005
The high mass deck was a TW AC, one of the best engineered turntables available the Orbe did sound a bit wobbly in comparison
So, why do you suggest that that the two t/t's in question should sound identical?

and, why do you recommend direct drive?

whizzkid

I told you it wasn't important
Wammer
Dec 30, 2006
Earth 2
AKA
Slartibartfast
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The high mass deck was a TW AC, one of the best engineered turntables available the Orbe did sound a bit wobbly in comparison, Keith.
And the AC sounded heavier? I'd stop now Keith that holes getting deeper.

pure sound

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 10, 2011
West Devon
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I owned an Orbe for best part of twenty years replaced it with another belt drive this time high mass without suspension,( which I preferred) bought an SP 10 direct drive which I preferred to either.Keith.
I thought that you hadn't got on very well with the SP10 :?

B

BD Audio

Keith, what do you prefer about the Monarch (boutique Technics 1210) over the TW AC?

browellm

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 9, 2008
Stick around skyman, it gets better than this.

alright, it doesn't get better.

Purite Audio

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 29, 2007
London, UK
AKA
Keith
I think that what at the time what I perceived as a weakness was in fact a strength, perhaps if had persevered or tried another plinth design.

I really enjoy the solidity of DD .

Keith.

whizzkid

I told you it wasn't important
Wammer
Dec 30, 2006
Earth 2
AKA
Slartibartfast
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Stick around skyman, it gets better than this.alright, it doesn't get better.
Especially when all the dealers get involved, Sodders will be around soon.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Today's Birthdays

Latest Articles