closed back headphones recommendations please

hixy

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 4, 2009
quarry bank
AKA
mick
Hello Folks long time since been on,hifi had to sold as lost my job,things now looking up a bit and not topped myself :nup: ,i need some nice not to expensive closed back head phone please,i mainly listen dance but also classical and acoustic stuff,

kind regards mick

Pianoman

Wammer
Wammer
May 6, 2007
Huddersfield, ,
AKA
Tony
Depending on budget, I've always liked the Sennheiser HD25 for excellent sound and great isolation. A cheaper but very good alternative is Creative Aurvana Live (old Denon basically) which are semi-open but excellent quality for £50 ish.

hotshot

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 13, 2009
Leicester
AKA
Phil
Going a bit further up the ladder there is the Audio Technica ATH-M50. I swear by mine and plenty of praise elsewhere.

MUJI

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 13, 2011
Surrey
AKA
James
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
A lot of people will scorn at this but I think the Ferrari Logic 3 - T250 are very good closed headphones. They are very comfortable as well. It is sold around the GBP180 mark and they are one of the best I have tried among all the headphones on display in Selfridges. Occasionally they come up as used on eBay for cheaper. If you can squeeze an extra 50 pounds then I think the Sennheiser Momentum is a winner.

NAM

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2010
Edinburgh, Scotland
AKA
Neil
Going a bit further up the ladder there is the Audio Technica ATH-M50. I swear by mine and plenty of praise elsewhere.
I have a pair of these and they're fantastic. Another recommendation from me. Source from an authorised dealer though there are allegedly a lot of fakes about.

FiftyPlus

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 5, 2007
, , United Kingdom
Could be a good bet, but you should go somewhere and audition a pair, and a few other options. PSB (I think I've got the name right) has had some good reviews from classical fans. I ended up with an open pair, the Grado SR80is, which sound better than some on the market. Beware the murky exagerated bass sound that dominates the market in 2013. I ended up doing a lot of trial and error purchases at the lower end of the market to get something that sounds life like for MP3 use because of the non hi-fi sound that people seem to expect, and some hi-fi mags accept.

davidcotton

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 9, 2005
, , United Kingdom
Not quite as good as the HD25-II's apparantly though (cheaper drivers etc). If it helps advancedmp3players have a 10% of EVERYTHING (pretty much) offer atm but ends tomorrow.

Cheers

Fatmarley

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 12, 2008
Gloucestershire
AKA
Matt
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I had some Sennheiser hd25-1 ii . They were great for dance, with a tight, punchy bass and clean vocals but were a bit uncomfortable. Some people don't find them uncomfortable though, so would be best to try before you buy.

Chumpy

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 3, 2005
Bristol UK
AKA
Charlie
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Very glad you are trying to get through/wishing you all good fortune. I seem for 'closed' duties still to be enjoying c. 2004 (as kindly recommended to me for 1/3 of price on HFC site) Sony MDR-CD1700 with very long lead ... I am sure that there are 70000 suitable pairs/can you try something for comfort-sound in a local shop???

As mentioned variously above, comfort of the clamp is IMO more important than worrying too much about 'sound' variations.

a) Do not spend too much, unless you want too.

b) Enjoy.

c) May all suitable flourish Mick.

d) Yamaha front-end might IMO be very suitable with anything nice local that takes your comfort-fancy.

NAM

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2010
Edinburgh, Scotland
AKA
Neil
Very glad you are trying to get through/wishing you all good fortune. I seem for 'closed' duties still to be enjoying c. 2004 (as kindly recommended to me for 1/3 of price on HFC site) Sony MDR-CD1700 with very long lead ... I am sure that there are 70000 suitable pairs/can you try something for comfort-sound in a local shop???As mentioned variously above, comfort of the clamp is IMO more important than worrying too much about 'sound' variations.

b) Enjoy.

d) Yamaha front-end might IMO be very suitable with anything nice local that takes your comfort-fancy.
In amongst all that, there's a recommendation for a pair of Sony headphones :p

JPG

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 26, 2007
Bristol
AKA
James
I like my £60 Sony MDR700ZX closed cans. Enough bass for electronic/dance, with reasonable clarity and efficiency.

hixy

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 4, 2009
quarry bank
AKA
mick
Very glad you are trying to get through/wishing you all good fortune. I seem for 'closed' duties still to be enjoying c. 2004 (as kindly recommended to me for 1/3 of price on HFC site) Sony MDR-CD1700 with very long lead ... I am sure that there are 70000 suitable pairs/can you try something for comfort-sound in a local shop???As mentioned variously above, comfort of the clamp is IMO more important than worrying too much about 'sound' variations.

b) Enjoy.

Your a very nice man,thank you,all good at the moment ,hope all well with you

Chumpy

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 3, 2005
Bristol UK
AKA
Charlie
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I suspect that surprisingly good-value Sony can do often do fine occasional closed-back duties ... I am sure that other marques are equally as worthwhile.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Millard

Latest Articles

Staff online