Coherents home visit

fruit&nutcase

Wammer
New Wammer
Jun 24, 2006
Cambridge, ,
With Mr C doing the Manchester fest , he had to postpone the visit to my humble "abodeee"(it is a bit of a trip) with 1037's and ALL the other bits.
shock.gif.7732780fe7e208b945ce79ca96402fca.gif

Mr C you need a bigger vehicle!

After unloading and plugging all the bits in to warm up in my dinning room : X-03 , Belles soloist Pre-power , Belles 28a pre-amp & 150a power amp and 1037's, cables etc . We moved swiftly on to just listening to my system as it was . My room is 26ft x 15ftx 9ft approx

I had been playing the system for a couple of hours before Tony turned up so was keen to hear what Tony made of it, as it turned out almost the same kind of concerns were announced to me as i had been feeling . We were on the same wavelength. Bass wayward , lacking definition, great scale (or so i thought), midrange safe ,nice but not quite engaging, kind of lacking dynamics really

Tony pops out to the car(the tardis) and appears with Townsend speaker stands..oh had these in the footwells . Putting the 803d's on these had me worried , the wobbling and the bobbling...but i have to say it did help tightening things up but the overall sound had the same characteristics. Played a wide selection of music for say 20-25 min with Tony adjusting the speakers to 'sound out the room" as he put it. Again this just squeezed out more and more..uuum.. better.

The speaker cables were next up for test, removed my Signature, in goes the Coherent Connoisseur's, hello is that music i hear......the same as my first dem at Coherent...

fantastic, then interconnects(with adaptors for my DNM 3d), again a step up..... this wasn't like listening to some detail infested cable ( i have tried a few) that strip's the sound down , quite the opposite it fills it out with fleshed out information and superb speed, "palpable but natural is what we aim for" says Tony. Bugger this sounds good..

The mains cables..F..k

me , on to the cd player , pre & power....
:shock:
No words .... these are mine, all mine my precious. Rarely am i bowled over with cables...... of course they dont make a difference you know;) .

This man is the master of understatement.....Ok now lets get serious... I am assured that what we now need is the speakers to really hear whats going on. This i guess was the main event, they will take ten minutes of bashing to warm up says he . To be honest i needed about 30 seconds on the plynths (even on my gear, relevant for later) this is a staggering speaker!!
yahoo.gif.427f12e83b189951e0b3a226f4b02209.gif
:eek:j:
500000033.gif.92511e2005a900cfb9bb836a01712b3a.gif
:love:..... Scale, Scale, Scale with inner detail aaaaagh

I put Angela Gheorghiv's sacred arias on and lowered my chin to the floor, Peter Gabriel, leftfield, Led Zep, Jill Scott etc etc..

Its difficult to quantify exactly what they did as it was almost like all that went before led up to this point, speakers vanished.... not virtualy but just gone , tonally awesome, and seamless, Bass ha ha ha... Fab .I am overloaded with listening !!!!

Time for liquid refreshments & biscuits.........Well deserved rest for brain and ears....oh word of warning dont leave your Hobb nobs around Tony..........What packet? ? he he

We discuss the options open to me and the sacred word budget,i must have the cables(couldnt believe i said it out loud ,easy sale eh Tony), oh yea speakers i suppose......chortle . In hindsight these bits i kind of new i had already subconciously bought from my initial demo (subject to sounding good at home) yea whatever.
sos.gif.b46fa5e4a1b4ea9bb8774a15a6092288.gif

Tony felt that my DNM and Passlabs power amp might be the weakest link in the scheme of things but lets do the options thing anyway.

Once again Tonys correct , X-03 put in to system and yes there are some good improvements, but out it comes then back in with Opus 21 , In slides the Belles 150a power amp.......oh thats just silly...its streets ahead , more musical, serious impact, makes the passlab sound like its playing last week. Not sure that 150a sounds a bit lean tonally though, Tony says weight ten minutes ....and sure enough it opens up further and the richness comes through beautifully. I have a couple of troublesome piano pieces just for this occasion, they sounded WONDERFUL.

I have this feeling of financial impending Doom. I cant afford the X-03 as well..... ah what the heck listen to it anyway.

X-03 in place i now start to hear what it can do , not the subtle change from earlier in the day. This is how i remember the dem comparison at Coherents, Opus 21 sounds broken.

I think Tony see's im pissed with myself and i have made an error listening to this, he promptly suggest's listening to his 3D interconnect on the Opus to lift it's performance to compensate. Yea ha ......is all i can say. ONE INTERCONNECT, ONE INTERCONNECT, we were already using the Connoisseurs and this just murdered them. Opus quite listenable now, no not X-03 but phweee ........ pretty good.

Threatened with the Belles 28a pre-amp but declined from wallet fever disease:run:

Chanced my arm far enough for one day, Cables yes please Coherent, speaker cable, interconnect, 3D for source
tease.gif.a6e550ff9c07be38d7cbd4260be35dc9.gif
, mains, Loveeeeerly speakers 1037's in Signature (dark redish colour).

Shame it cant all stay here till the new stuff arrives
f_doh.gif.2bfa1ec008d0c8800eee305d3a30be23.gif
:doh: patience, im not PATIENT!!

Long day again but with the outcome sorted, Thank you Tony for a great day and the new music. Hey and you got something out of it to ......Where's that other packet of Hobb nobs.....gone!

Yours

C.C.Ard Bashed

jonjin

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 22, 2005
London
Wow... super Tony seems to be in all places at once these days! He should come with a wallet warning!
tongue.png

JJ

rockmeister

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 24, 2005
Scotland
AKA
John
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
:raoflmfao::raoflmfao::raoflmfao:serves you right!...great write up...exactly how I felt...38 years of cable doubts and in one day F'''K me...that 3D cable is summat else. Hope you enjoy it all when your wallet's recovered.

I think we need to start a rest home for wallets that havebeen 'visited' by Tony!

fruit&nutcase

Wammer
New Wammer
Jun 24, 2006
Cambridge, ,
Well it was if i was a little boy in a sweet shop i couldnt say No....could i !

Oooops topped it off by adding the 150a power amp today!!
47_47.gif.482d183844f69ef6dec537ae753f214d.gif

Wallet is now out of bounds till later in the year or i could fake a terrible case of amnesia whenever the word wallet appears......

I'm very happy ........well i will be when it arrives
74_74.gif.e35fe9be22561407fdbfee747b876f81.gif

Injector

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 23, 2005
In a shed
Most people fear a visit from the grim reaper but it seems Tony is the new man on the block. Garlic on doors and lock your windows, that's all I can advise.

fruit&nutcase

Wammer
New Wammer
Jun 24, 2006
Cambridge, ,
It is / was X150 , it's a Derek Acora moment, spooky X150 for 150a
71_71.gif.90e48c720ca56a2d2fa0532dd3380cc7.gif

Pass just sound's a bit slow now, still sweet in the voices etc but i put it back in the system

and it almost sounded flat after the Belles . Maybe a synergy thing !

Purite Audio

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 29, 2007
London, UK
AKA
Keith
I only ask because I just sold my Pass 350.5 also you have a DNM , the latest, I had an earlier incarnation ,what do you think of the 'D', thnks very much,Keith.

ClassikFan

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Jul 19, 2005
Surrey
AKA
Stuart
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I was hoping to visit Mr C in the near future, but I won't be doing so now as I can't afford to spend any money.
sad.png

fruit&nutcase

Wammer
New Wammer
Jun 24, 2006
Cambridge, ,
I went from a 3b, missing out the C version completely, straight to the 3D . It was a big improvement , tried a lot of other things at the time, but for the money and because of the trade in thing with DNM, i couldnt buy better sound for my cash , well credit card .

Nearly bought the matching power amp pa3-s but it was limiting on the selection of speakers and just couldnt have driven the 803's. Pity cause it sounded really good.

Why did you get rid of the 350 , beast of an amp .....loveeeerly?

Purite Audio

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 29, 2007
London, UK
AKA
Keith
I had the DNM Basic pre and PA3 power amp, sold them when I bought my B&W's. Used a Nagra and pass combo, both pretty good, then I borrowed an ASR Emitter , after that the Pass/Nagra had to go! I wouldn't mind another DNM ina smaller system, do they still use DIN plugs? Keith.

fruit&nutcase

Wammer
New Wammer
Jun 24, 2006
Cambridge, ,
Oh......... the ASR Emitter must be good !!!! Only seen pictures and read bits , all good though.

Where did you get it from/ who sells it here ?

Yea DNM still do 5 pin din but you can have phono's fitted ! Begrudgingly.

I remember the review Martin Colloms did on some DNM years ago where he insisted they fit them to the review model so he could try different cables. Not an unreasonable request i thought..
lightbulb.gif.2153bcfc1c810616a661c1a03e7a67eb.gif

I was on DNM's sight recently, they do second hand refurb units on their for not a lot of money. Might be good place to start looking..

Purite Audio

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 29, 2007
London, UK
AKA
Keith
Ye it was those plugs that put me off, another specially fabricated lead every time you wanted to try something,re the ASR Emitter it is a superb amp, battery powered input stage,very low noise floor incredibly dynamic and wonderful resolution, Manger Audio up North somewhere!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OpenSea_0