Coming back to 2Ch - advice needed

Benmc

Wammer
New Wammer
Jun 16, 2013
Hi all,

I hope some of you can give me guidance. What started as a late night conversation about how people never listen to the whole of an album any more has now got me thinking about moving back to a very decent 2Ch system after 12 years of Multi channel systems.

I guess I am looking for some pointers to get me going.

I have a budget of around £6k to cover the following

Turntable - I will be honest I have a thing for an LP12 but can't see the budget stretching to new.

Amp

Speakers

Something that can do HiDef streaming. Ie not just mp3.

In terms of sound, I have always liked what I would call a clean sound, Cyrus 1 + JPW AP2 and Linn in the past.

Are there any good 2Ch shops in Hertfordshire? I dropped into Cynboisis in Leicester at the weekend, only issue is that they are not local.

Just trying to get some advice on what systems it would be good to go and demo. Being honest I am not the sort of person who wants to upgrade every 6 months.

Also, where do people buy Vinyl from these days? I would be starting from scratch.

any help and advice would be welcomed.

Ben

Turn it up!

Wam Bam
Wammer Plus
Nov 27, 2012
Brighton
AKA
Simon
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
That's quite a bit of budget, are you thinking new or used? You could get quite a lot of kit for that price and to be honest I don't think you will need to spend that much to get a very good sound. Linn do some pretty well regarded streamers and were early adopters of the tech. They also have a good support of high res lossless files for sale through their website. I'm not that into streamers but when I tested three or four out including a very expensive Naim the Linn was the best for me.

In regards to a turntable I've just seen one come up in the classified here on the wam for a grand that looks pretty superb for the money. Ive no connection with the seller by the way.

Plenty of vinyl for sale online, depends on your taste but rough trade are pretty good.

Oh and welcome back to 2 channel, you know it makes sense!

Cheers

Benmc

Wammer
New Wammer
Jun 16, 2013
I guess the 6k was based on the costs of a mid Linn system. If I could get something great for less then that would also work.

I guess the Linn streamer would be new but rest could be second hand. My concern is not being able to listen to it all together.

I was shocked over the weekend. My father in law and I did back to back CD to Vinyl. The turntable was 40 years old and not be touched for 10 years. Even then the Vinyl blew the CD out of the water. I had forgotten how great 2Ch vinyl was.

ben

pgarrish

Wammer
Wammer
Feb 13, 2011
Preston, Lancashire,
AKA
Paul
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
With that budget you could get almost anything secondhand. First task is to find speakers that work in your room. If you allow 1500-2000 for speakers that is a LOT of choice in the classifieds here. Personally, I'd look at floorstanders straight away - stand mounts are no smaller in practice and you're way beyond the price where the cabs outweigh the cost of the drivers as with budget floorstanders. I like big drivers, but that is MY preference.... After the speakers, you can find a good enough amp for 1k, streamer - an SBT is good for 200 quid, I'm not convinced naim et al have the software skills to justify their prices.... TT is an open pit but there have been some highly recommended decks on the classifieds for less than 2k

But start with the right speakers for the room - otherwise the rest will be wasted

Turn it up!

Wam Bam
Wammer Plus
Nov 27, 2012
Brighton
AKA
Simon
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Good advice. Speakers first that fit the room. I'd have to second a good pair of floor slanders unless your room is pretty small.

Ive seem some very nice Living Voice and Spendors on here recently well within your budget.

Cheers

Frizzy brizzy

Wammer
Wammer
Feb 3, 2013
New forest
AKA
Laurie
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
If your tastes are to Cyrus et al why not try Wilson Benesch speakers with something like Bladelus or Bow in charge. Primare second hand are excellent value.

Unless you good with PC based systems linn can be fiddly , squeezebox is a good place to learn streaming, musical fidelity clic I think does a good job.

There are so many varieties of second hand lp12 s around you could pave the m25 with them, ( feed line) .

Benmc

Wammer
New Wammer
Jun 16, 2013
Deco Audio in Aylesbury are worth a visit if you are that side of Hertforshire :^
Thanks, may try and drop down there and have a listen to some systems

ben

M

MJ.

Deco Audio in Aylesbury are worth a visit if you are that side of Hertforshire :^
This.

Just go and have a chat with Peter. The man is very friendly and has golden ears :^

Chumpy

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 3, 2005
Bristol UK
AKA
Charlie
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I agree from my ownership of Cyrus and JPW AP3 that I would advise - as implied in an earlier posting - avoiding similar combo.

You MUST buy what you really want/install-maintain it suitably, then you will enjoy it - even if others do not.

It might be possible to arrange for good dealer to let you try out nice not necessarily overpriced stuff in your environment.

I agree that nice 2 or 1 channel is best for superbly appreciated audio - 'multichannel' is ok occasionally for some film-watching/listening etc.

def

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 7, 2008
Great Missenden
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
£6k is a great budget if buying s/h, legwork and knowledge is required to make the best of it. A good dealer can be invaluable when you don't want to do the legwork. They should know what works best together and what to avoid, £6k is still a good budget new. In Herts I know of a couple of dealers that work out of home, Accustic Arts who are up by the jnct of the M1/A5 iirc, no direct experience of them myself and Anglesound Audio in Kings Langley who I would recommend, always been good to me.

I think Radlett Audio is still going and Tom Tom Audio is the areas big Naim dealer, they're in St Albans, quick google search should find them.

Best of luck.

Benmc

Wammer
New Wammer
Jun 16, 2013
Just thought I would update everyone on my journey.

It has taken a strage about turn!

We dug out the old Cyrus 1 and JPW AP2 speakers and still really liked the sound. Amp is on its last legs and needs to be replaced, it has already been fixed once about 8 years ago.

Speaker need a replacement drive unit as the foam is cracking.

Also went into Deco, who were very helpful. Listen to a load of stuff.

On the speaker side, it got upto about £750 before I thought there was an improvement over the JPWs. So the plan is to try and build a system around those.

Once fixed I will take the over to Deco and demo amps. Went through Rega (new out of the box sounded too clinical), liked the Pure Sound but don't think I can justify 2k inc phono stage. Going to try Croft next time I am there.

One element there is no doubt on is Turntable. Was expecting the Gyrodec SE to be style over substance but was blown away with the clarity. So that is decided.

Keeping an eye on the classifieds for anything interesting.

Thanks for the initial guidance.

will keep you all upto date.

bem

Chumpy

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 3, 2005
Bristol UK
AKA
Charlie
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Yes, believe your perceptions - they are what count/towards which you spend some dosh ...

Enjoy your choices.

Benmc

Wammer
New Wammer
Jun 16, 2013
That was my thinking. At the end of the day the speaker driver replacement cost about £140, if it does not work out I can always buy speakers.

Also looking at extending the existing Sonos system for streaming, would like to try Sonos running through a decent DAC.

Ben

pure sound

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 10, 2011
West Devon
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The other thing worth doing to the AP2's while fitting the new drivers is replacing the 4.7uF non polarised electrolytic tweeter feed cap with a polypropylene type. Just be careful as you do it as one end is attached to a very fine wired inductor which will need to be detached there and reattached to the new cap when you install it. Maplins should have suitable polyprops. 160v would do.

Benmc

Wammer
New Wammer
Jun 16, 2013
Just thought I would close this one off.

I drove up-to Midland Audio Exchange and had a great morning listening to different systems.

Source was my Sonos (Playing Apple Lossless files) and speakers the rejuvenated JPW AP2s.

Started off with the Puresound A30 and 2A3, both of which sounded very nice but not punchy enough for me. John was great and suggested I try the Prima Luna Prologue 1, WOW totally my sort of sound, punchy and very clear on the vocals.

At this point it became very obvious that we had reached the limits of the DAC in the Sonos, couple of faster tracks ended up sounding very muddy.

So added a Rega DAC and again the whole sound was lifted, what was muddy before was now clear. Very happy with the setup I had at this point.

Then tried some different speakers (cant remember the names) upto about £1600 and could not improve the overall sound, yes I could get sharper vocals but lost some overall sound.

All of this will be paired with a Michelle Gyrodec I picked up last week, matched with a Rega phono stage.

I originally started out thinking I would need to spend £5-6k. Spent just over £3k and have for me what is an amazing sounding system that has got me really listening to 2Ch again. I had got so used to every track sounding the same, today I rediscovered that every track is different and I could even start picking out poorly recorded tracks.

Wanted to thank everyone on here who gave me help and advice. Also point people in the direction of John at Midland Audio Exchange, today was the best demo I have had, no pressure or feeling rushed.

Thanks

Ben

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Today's Birthdays

Latest Articles