Comments please

M

Mr Coherent

Just spotted this, any thoughts chaps?

[align=center]Tips[/align] [align=center]For a better sound[/align] [align=center][/align] [align=center] 1. Make sure your system balance is right[/align] [align=center] The source component should be the best performing component in the system then the amplifier and lastly the speakers[/align]

jonjin

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 22, 2005
London
Good use of the word balance then... this is more like balance for CD/TT companies.
rolleyes.gif.fd85f9fd5d171988ef004a59c04642db.gif

JJ

Davewhityetagain

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 24, 2005
, ,
Mr Coherent wrote:

Just spotted this, any thoughts chaps?[align=center]Tips[/align]

[align=center]For a better sound[/align]

[align=center][/align]

[align=center] 1. Make sure your system balance is right[/align]

[align=center] The source component should be the best performing component in the system then the amplifier and lastly the speakers[/align]
Everything should be "best"

G

yep i'm a source first without doubt..

it's simple put vh1 on then play a cd or record the cd and record sound a million times better...

now put some mega expensive speakers on the kit and the highlight on the front end will be more obvious.

on my system vinyl sounds much better than cd.. now if the speakers and amp were more important how can they improve the sound?

G

garbage in garbage out..i would sooner have a 10k front end running through 100 quid amp and speakers than split it 3 ways... the front end must be the determining outcome to the best sound.

Sheva

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 4, 2006
Chiavenna
AKA
Sheva
How do you judge best performing?

And if you're starting from scratch, or have a lot of money to buy a top range system, what component should you start with?

Still think it's the CD player? or are the speakers (in your listening room) the best place to start, followed by an amp that will drive them well, and CD last??

M

Mike P

rudolph hucker wrote:

garbage in garbage out..i would sooner have a 10k front end running through 100 quid amp and speakers than split it 3 ways... the front end must be the determining outcome to the best sound.
I'm sorry but I don't agree with that at all. I have heard hi end speakers (Living Voice Avatar OBX RW) running with mid range kit and sounding really excellent. Likewise I have heard high end kit running with mid range speakers (Proac Tab ref sigs) sounding very mediocre.

With 10K to play with, I would use no more than 3k on a digital source (Resolution Audio Opus 21). I would spend another 3K on an amp and the remaining 4K on speakers.

Regards,

Mike

rockmeister

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 24, 2005
Scotland
AKA
John
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
tres complex subject which covers lots of imponderables, but no matter how much you spend on what, if it aint got the magic ingredient (synergy) it aint going to sound good.

Uncle Ants

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 11, 2005
East Midlands, Unite
AKA
Tony
rudolph hucker wrote:

Its true at ashallow level that if your source really is garbage it will come out garbagebut the reason the flat earth GIGO argumentis pretty much claptrap is the assumption that you need to have a big bucks source for it not to be garbage. You don't, you just need something which isn't garbage.

JamPal

Content Provider
Wammer
Jul 19, 2005
Sussex, West Side
AKA
James
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Statement designed to sell CD players or Turn Tables. Utter nonsense.

Rudi, comparing a sky box to a Michell Gyrodec/SME V is pretty much fucking guaranteed to tell you that sources are important. But that hardly means they should come first.

Polarbear

Old bear
Wammer Plus
Jul 24, 2005
AKA
PB
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Davewhityetagain wrote:

Mr Coherent wrote:
Just spotted this, any thoughts chaps?[align=center]Tips[/align]

[align=center]For a better sound[/align]

[align=center][/align]

[align=center] 1. Make sure your system balance is right[/align]

[align=center] The source component should be the best performing component in the system then the amplifier and lastly the speakers[/align]
Everything should be "best"
Just buy Naim, then everything is best
tongue.png

G

HiFiWigWam wrote:

Statement designed to sell CD players or Turn Tables. Utter nonsense. Rudi, comparing a sky box to a Michell Gyrodec/SME V is pretty much fucking guaranteed to tell you that sources are important. But that hardly means they should come first.
when ever something needs analyzing just look at the extremes to find the answer....

put it this way..

have say a set of 10k speakers 10k amps and have an alba record deck..

then have a top deck like an sme running through a 100 quid amp and 100 quid speakers.

i can tell you the sme fronted system will sound better without doubt.

A

Alex A

rudolph hucker wrote:

HiFiWigWam wrote:
Statement designed to sell CD players or Turn Tables. Utter nonsense. Rudi, comparing a sky box to a Michell Gyrodec/SME V is pretty much fucking guaranteed to tell you that sources are important. But that hardly means they should come first.
when ever something needs analyzing just look at the extremes to find the answer....

put it this way..

then have a top deck like an sme running through a 100 quid amp and 100 quid speakers.

Looking at extremes doesn't quite work Rudi. Because price is an entirely inaccurate way to measure performance.

Polarbear

Old bear
Wammer Plus
Jul 24, 2005
AKA
PB
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I had a £300 CD player in front of a £25k amp and £9k speakers and couldn't fault the system in any way!

audioboy

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 25, 2006
Guidlford, , United
rudolph hucker wrote:

HiFiWigWam wrote:

put it this way..

Out of interest have you tried this?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
k23435