COMPETITION: What Will Auntie Buy At Selectadisc Today ???

What Will Auntie Buy At Selectadisc Today ???

• Something twee by someone Swedish

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Some mind bendingly weird avant garde beepery

• Something twee by someone Scottish

• Something by the Carpenters

• Something jangly by someone Scottish

• Some inept garage rock

• Something jangly and stoned sounding by someone from Liverpool

• Some truly righteous roots reggae

• Total voters

Uncle Ants

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 11, 2005
East Midlands, Unite
AKA
Tony
smile.png
Well I didn't snigger exactly but it did mke me grin, so we have a possible spot prize contender.

Now thing is you are askinmg me for clues ... I'm not saying nothing yet ... rxcept that if you don't vote for more than one thing, you can be sure NOT to win
wink.png

Uncle Ants

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 11, 2005
East Midlands, Unite
AKA
Tony
dudywoxer wrote:

Ok Ok , so it rained a little on Friday but jeez,If the rain in Nottingham was anything like the rain in not so sunny scunny, you would have better off helping Noah.
But doesn't it allways rain in Scunny? When was the last time you saw the sun young man
smile.png

Anyway enough ... what's yer vote
wink.png

TIU

Artist and daft as a brush
Wammer Plus
Dec 17, 2005
Birmingham
AKA
Gary
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
My final votes are for 3, 6 and 7. And Auntie spent so long in Selectadisc she became a high security risk (instead of back with an electric whisk). Heard over security radio: "keep an eye on the woman in the pop and rock, no, dance, metal, er.. hip-hop, now urban, classical, reggae... sod it! Just watch all areas.
tongue.png
wink.png

Uncle Ants

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 11, 2005
East Midlands, Unite
AKA
Tony
I take it you are after the spot prize turnitup
smile.png

Now listenup you lot. Winners to be announced at 9pm.

I can say that so far no one has won.

However those who have entered can change their votes if they wish.

To give some clues:

- She didn't buy any Carpenters (I think we made that one clear
smile.png
)

- She actually purchased items which might fit three of the categories (in fact a rather surprising number of records in one of them)

- The most any has got so far is 2 out of 3

Later dudes. Got to go and listen to my new valve amp.
smile.png

Uncle Ants

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 11, 2005
East Midlands, Unite
AKA
Tony
OK Guys, here's what she bought:

1. Valende by Jennifer Gentle (LP). This is actually Italian Twee which even I hadn't considered, mainly because I didn't know such a thing existed
smile.png
anyway it wasn't in the list so its excluded from the vote I guess

2. The Eraser by Thom Yorke (LP). Now some might argue its too mainstream to fit category two, but really its pretty weird and its pretty beepy, so that's one in category two - "mind bendingly weird avant garde beepery"

3. The Denial Twist by The White Stripes (7"). ept garage rock, rather than inept
wink.png
but it will pass, so one for category 6

4. Hoppipola by Sigur Ros (7") - cat 2 again I'd say. Certainly a bit weird anyway

5. Against the World by Cinnamon (10" LP)

6. Labrador Kingsize Vol #2 by Various (CD)

7. We're from Barcelona by I'm from Barcelona (7")

These last three are all Swedish Twee. The nice thing about Swedish twee is that its invariably jolly rather than glum like the Scottish variety - though ironically that can get a bit depressing after a while
smile.png

Anyway so Griffo got 2 right, Rockmeister got 1, Pamela Anderson's Gusset got 0 and Turnitup got 1. Matt J also got zero cos no shoes.

Ah well ... you all get a prize. Send me your addresses and there's a duopad in the post. Turnitup you get the spot prize for the poem
smile.png

icehockeyboy

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 14, 2005
Torquay Devon. UK
AKA
Craig
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Matt J wrote:

selectadisc worth a visit then? spotted it a few times now, never had time to venture in, didnt know they did second hand vinyl!I predict she comes back with 40 sobs worth of shoes
wink.png
Hate to be pedantic, but the word is SOV, as in soveriegn, the old fashioned money used ages back...........Youve only spotted it a few times? how come? dont you visit Superfi a couple of shops down?............also, for the competition setter, ive never, ever seen any Carpenters or indeed twee Swedish stuf in there ............not ever...............i must be short sighted...............
shock.gif.7732780fe7e208b945ce79ca96402fca.gif

TIU

Wammer Plus
Dec 17, 2005
Birmingham
AKA
Gary
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Thanks Tony, much appreciated.
thumbs_up.gif.3c8ee62eda0e86146178ab30b9facd86.gif
Pity you didn't have more responses but this has probably clashed with the Heathrow Shows debriefings.

I wish my wife was into music a bit more. She mainly watches TV and soaps and those awful reality and talent programmes like X-factor. I just can't watch the same stuff so I usually retire to my computer or headphones.

Uncle Ants

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 11, 2005
East Midlands, Unite
AKA
Tony
You are welcome. Just a bit of Friday afternoon fun. BTW I knew quite well that you weren't going to find the Carpenters in Selectadisc ... just as well as I knew Auntie wouldn't be buying any. Karen Carpenter's voice makes her want to be violent.

email me your snailmail address

TIU

Wammer Plus
Dec 17, 2005
Birmingham
AKA
Gary
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Don't take any notice of IHB, he's pissed at missing a competition which is what DJ's love to do on-air. It stops them feeling lonely by getting people to phone in. DJ's are also like politicians - they can talk all day but not actually say anything.
tongue.png
tease.gif.a6e550ff9c07be38d7cbd4260be35dc9.gif
76.gif.3cbb85032d80aef89d0d9e373387958a.gif

Uncle Ants

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 11, 2005
East Midlands, Unite
AKA
Tony
Not quite. She didn't buy anything by anyone Scottish at all, either Twee or Jangly, or anything by anyone from Liverpool and much to my chagrin no Righteous Roots Reggae .... or any Carpenters
smile.png

Sheva

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 4, 2006
Chiavenna
AKA
Sheva
Uncle Ants wrote:

Not quite. She didn't buy anything by anyone Scottish at all, either Twee or Jangly, or anything by anyone from Liverpool and much to my chagrin no Righteous Roots Reggae .... or any Carpenters
smile.png
I hadn't seen that you has already posted the answer.
smile.png
icon_redface.gif.eb51a1f92a0314cdfc14dd3cb4473da1.gif

icehockeyboy

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 14, 2005
Torquay Devon. UK
AKA
Craig
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
:lmao:turnitup! wrote:

Don't take any notice of IHB, he's pissed at missing a competition which is what DJ's love to do on-air. It stops them feeling lonely by getting people to phone in. DJ's are also like politicians - they can talk all day but not actually say anything.
tongue.png
tease.gif.a6e550ff9c07be38d7cbd4260be35dc9.gif
76.gif.3cbb85032d80aef89d0d9e373387958a.gif
:lmao:

Uncle Ants

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 11, 2005
East Midlands, Unite
AKA
Tony
Well everyones a winnahhhh
smile.png

Auntie has been playing the We're from Barcelona single incessantly :Not Sure:- its very bouncy, jolly and Swedish - a bit like the Polyphonic Spree but this time high on Junior Aspirin - I could easily get sick of it.

Played the new Thom Yorke last night. Superb
smile.png
I get the feeling he's been listening to a lot of Warp stuff of late. Pressing seems okay. Heavy, flat and clean with no obvious sonic nasties - nice embossed sleeve as well. I thought it was a beautiful album and very atmospheric ... probably depressing as hell if you listen to the lyrics, which I rarely do
smile.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles