Copland CDA 823 Player

G

Send them an e mail Dave it may be quicker. I just wasted 20 mins trying to find out:X

Davewhityetagain

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 24, 2005
, ,
oh you should have not done that, kind of you to try,,,, its one of them things someone will know
cool.gif.9d6c72c555b38e519336a6d9b55ca875.gif
:cool: Tony or Lawrie top of list

G

Dave do you have the facility to run the cd player in balanced mode with your current amps. From what i've read (alas haven't heard) the Copland is a bit of a bargain

Davewhityetagain

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 24, 2005
, ,
The copland has balanced outputs but the valve amp has not got balanced inputs

I have just recived an email telling me the insides of the copland are like a wadia 850 with two Burr-Brown PCM1702 per channel plus a custom-built reference master clock to which the mechanism is slaved. This clock is located on the digital-to-analogue circuit board, its job to optimise accuracy and allow a cleaner conveyance of audio information.

Digital filtering is performed by Pacific Microsonics' eight-times oversampling PMD 100,

the last bit not sure about as the PMD will allow HDCD to play and I did not think mine plays them so getting one out now:cool:

M

Mr Coherent

The Copland runs 1702's in dual diff mode.

Its a nice player has a vrds tranny too. I believe that Jorno the odd one lol has modded one of these. never remeber his name one of CJ fave guys
wink.png

The 1702's are musical and full sounding nice chips IMO.

Davewhityetagain

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 24, 2005
, ,
thanks for that Tony but the drive is not as you say say

has a vrds tranny
have a look at the picture

shock.gif.7732780fe7e208b945ce79ca96402fca.gif

cop50.jpg

Its a custom Teac computer type drive only plays CD your advised not to even try and play the CD layer in a SACD cd
cool.gif.9d6c72c555b38e519336a6d9b55ca875.gif

also note the lack of big transformer even me new tuner has a big one of them!

top right

tuner_big.jpg

Lawrie

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
Davewhityetagain wrote:

I have just recived an email telling me the insides of the copland are like a wadia 850 with two Burr-Brown PCM1702 per channel plus a custom-built reference master clock to which the mechanism is slaved. This clock is located on the digital-to-analogue circuit board, its job to optimise accuracy and allow a cleaner conveyance of audio information.Digital filtering is performed by Pacific Microsonics' eight-times oversampling PMD 100,

the last bit not sure about as the PMD will allow HDCD to play and I did not think mine plays them so getting one out now:cool:
Dave,

I've only just seen this post but the information above is correct. Also, the Copland sounds better when used via its balanced output but in your case, given the amps you use, you won't be able to experiment with balanced vs single-ended.

Tony's comment about the Copland CDA-823 using a Teac VRDS mechanism is not correct. The CDA-823 uses a ROM drive and is the first Copland CDP to utilise such a transport mechanism. IIRC, the Teac VRDS transport mechanism was last used in the CDA-288 almost 10 years ago. When the CDA-289 was introduced, Copland switched to a Sony transport mechanism which was partly customised by Copland before being inserted into the CDA-289.

Still with Tony
wink.png
, the Copland CDA-823 has not yet been modded by any reviewer (journo) as far as I know. The CDA-289 was indeed modded by Trichord for a reviewer called Dave Davies. The CDA-289's clock was not changed by Trichord as they concluded that the Trichord clock 4 (or so) could not improve upon the standard clock in the CDA-289. The same applies to the CDA-823 (Dave's CDP) where the clock is custom-built to an even higher standard than that in the CDA-289. However, I'm not sure what the connection is between Dave Davies and CJ though.

Enjoy the musicâ„¢

Lawrie:D

M

Mr Coherent

Sorry Dave wrong player, its an older model, not Dave davies either Lawrie for that player, I just can't remeber his name, hes' famous though for that stupid scoring/marking system he uses.

I don't read the mags, but I'm sure you'll fill us in.

The whole point of the clock change isn't the clock IMO, but what surrounds it.
smile.png

Lawrie

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
Mr Coherent wrote:

Sorry Dave wrong player, its an older model, not Dave davies either Lawrie for that player, I just can't remeber his name, hes' famous though for that stupid scoring/marking system he uses.I don't read the mags, but I'm sure you'll fill us in.

The whole point of the clock change isn't the clock IMO, but what surrounds it.
smile.png
Tony,

Like you I don't buy the audio comics but I'm willing to bet you GBP 1000 that it was Dave Davies. I don't know who else you could be referring to though but he was the only reviewer-owner of a Copland CDA-289 that had it modified. Anyway, before you lose GBP 1000, I suggest you check your information properly.
smile.png

Remember that I still do own a Copland CDA-289 which is not being used at the moment and I also have my sources of information which are not the audio comics.

Enjoy the musicâ„¢

Lawrie:D

M

Mr Coherent

Lawrie,

I don't know his name, however he does have one and it has an N/c (I believe he did a review of it?) and other stuff on it. I thought it was the guy who does the silly points scoring thing? I'll check tomorrow

Added, Seems I'm getting senile in my advancing years
biggrin.png

DD has the copland, the chap I was confusing him with was M.Collumns, he had another player, so sorry for any confusion
smile.png

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles