mosfet

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
Surrey
AKA
Richard
Nicked this from ZG.

A brief article in this months New Scientist on hi-fi cable directionality. Appropriately it appears in the humour section.

Who is the unnamed writer and cable seller who is “not at liberty to quote the measurements or their origin�

Complete crock of shite.
rolleyes.gif.fd85f9fd5d171988ef004a59c04642db.gif

Hi-Fi sense of direction

A NEW theory about hi-fi sound quality called "directionality" decrees that the sound of music depends on which way the electrons are flowing through the wires. So, surprise, surprise, we are told it is worth paying more for direction-tested wires.

Theories like this are usually supported by sophisticated arguments along the lines of "if you can't hear the difference there must be something wrong with your ears". However, a recent issue of the respected Hi-Fi News magazine has an article that states as cold hard fact: "All cables - yes all cables - have signal directionality... in one direction the sound is slightly louder, has lower distortion, is cleaner, smoother, sweeter, has deeper bass and overall wider dynamic range."

Some of these parameters are scientifically measurable, so we tracked down the writer of the article, who also happens to be in the business of selling cables, and asked him if he could cite any statistically significant results of listening tests and electrical measurements.

"Yes, it is a statement of fact," the writer assured us. "Directionality is observable by listening test and measurable with test equipment. Regrettably, I am not at liberty to quote the measurements or their origin."

That being the case, we feel at liberty to keep on enjoying music through direction-untested wires, and to give the writer no name check and sales publicity until he feels at liberty to quote some of the measurements his "facts" rely on.

TIU

Artist and daft as a brush
Wammer Plus
Dec 17, 2005
Birmingham
AKA
Gary
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I'm going to swap all mine around now and see if I hear a difference.

Or maybe not. :
glum.gif.19305e5ca189352e84c85f8ec971e437.gif
76.gif.3cbb85032d80aef89d0d9e373387958a.gif
00001664.gif.f3a6986ade705efb256520e3dde6edd1.gif

Boxer

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 2, 2005
mosfet wrote:

Who is the unnamed writer and cable seller who is “not at liberty to quote the measurements or their origin�

Complete crock of shite.
rolleyes.gif.fd85f9fd5d171988ef004a59c04642db.gif

Hi-Fi sense of direction

However, a recent issue of the respected Hi-Fi News magazine has an article that states as cold hard fact: "All cables - yes all cables - have signal directionality... in one direction the sound is slightly louder, has lower distortion, is cleaner, smoother, sweeter, has deeper bass and overall wider dynamic range."
That'll be a certain Russ Andrews then!
biggrin.png

One of his many "interesting" ideas...

Sceptic Boxer

E

Effem

I have never yet heard any cable that was "directional". Tried them both ways, deliberately opposed and I am Donald Ducked if I could tell any difference at all even though I have goodhearing responsive to subtle changes

icehockeyboy

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 14, 2005
Torquay Devon. UK
AKA
Craig
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Theres a similar thread on HFC forum, and a reply by HFC man Richard Black, saying, (in so many words) that directionallity doesnt exist, i replied saying how naughty he was, as his co contributor, a Mr Russ Andrews definitely says there is.

One mag, 2 totally differing opinions, whose word do we take????
71_71.gif.3e6d891ee0cc25b2acfe143a79a91cc1.gif

mosfet

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
Surrey
AKA
Richard
You could try using the stuff between your own ears IHB.

You don’t even need to understand the technicalities, that AC is oscillatory and not directional, to see the obvious horse manure cover-up of “not at liberty to quote the measurements or their originâ€.

felix

Wammer
Wammer
May 5, 2006
Baff
AKA
Martin
The only cable-making company I can think of that directly addressed this persistant crock was Deltec (later DPA).

They actually held that cables weren't directional. So they made the (litz-like) Slink and Black Slink and speaker cables by drawing the components off the reels and then pairing -up with 50% of them in the opposite direction to guarantee to the cable believers that they weren't directional!

The shielding on the black slink) was provided with a flying lead to connect the shielding separately, and instructions on where to put it
wink.png

zygote23

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 10, 2006
North Ireland, ,
AKA
Steve
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I've just spent an hour changing my cables around. It sucked all the music out of my house backwards through a 'Negative Reality Inversion Loop'
sad.png

JamPal

Content Provider
Wammer
Jul 19, 2005
Sussex, West Side
AKA
James
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
zygote23 wrote:

I've just spent an hour changing my cables around. It sucked all the music out of my house backwards through a 'Negative Reality Inversion Loop'
sad.png
OMG! Me too. Although I turned the amp up a bit too far and my house turned itself inside out! Now all my clothes are strewn around the street! DON'T TRY THIS YOURSELVES! Please, it is really dangerous.

JamPal

Content Provider
Wammer
Jul 19, 2005
Sussex, West Side
AKA
James
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
BTW, seen plenty cables with arrows on them, from all sorts of manufacturers.

When will people learn, this does them no credit?

Jasper

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 29, 2005
In the country, , Un
So I'd advocate considering very carefully whether you buy cables from a company that is consciously prepared to genuinely advocate that their cables are directional. You should think carefully about what it says about what they think about you, their customer.

JamPal

Content Provider
Wammer
Jul 19, 2005
Sussex, West Side
AKA
James
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Jasper wrote:

So I'd advocate considering very carefully whether you buy cables from a company that is consciously prepared to genuinely advocate that their cables are directional. You should think carefully about what it says about what they think about you, their customer.
I think we know what foo foo sellers think of their customers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OpenSea_0