Question Cyrus 6xp - add a psx r socket, can I add a psx r socket to my 6xp so I can upgrade the power supply - thanks.

A question.

Rob1n

New Wammer
Oct 25, 2023
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hi, I have a Cyrus 6xp, is it possible to fit a psx r socket to it so I can add a psx r to upgrade the power supply? Thanks.

Wine man forthe County

Wine man forthe County
Wammer
Apr 23, 2019
York
AKA
Ian
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I very much doubt it as the 6 series was never designed to run with a PSXR. If you want to stick with the 6XP you would perhaps be better adding one of the Cyrus Power Amps and bi-amping (if your speakers have a bi-wire option). Cyrus do have an upgrade option for your 6XP to the current 'Classic' amp but this costs around £1500.

Reactions: Rob1n and bencat

Rob1n

New Wammer
Oct 25, 2023
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I very much doubt it as the 6 series was never designed to run with a PSXR. If you want to stick with the 6XP you would perhaps be better adding one of the Cyrus Power Amps and bi-amping (if your speakers have a bi-wire option). Cyrus do have an upgrade option for your 6XP to the current 'Classic' amp but this costs around £1500.
Thanks, for the reply.
I had a feeling that would be the answer, the upgrade wouldn't be worth it and, perhaps I'll try the power amp route first although, would a power amplifier only expand upon the sound of the 6xp or, would it actually enhance it?
I like the sound of it but, I find it can get a bit "shouty". Now whether that's down to my speakers I'm not sure, the Quad 12Ls are a little shouty but only when the volume is reasonably high, the other speakers are Cambridge audio SX60s, very good speakers but again, can become a bit shouty, interconmects are NVA, speaker cables NVA, cd is a Cambridge audio CXC transport with a Cambridge Dac Magic 100. Got a feeling the dac could be improved? Going to try some Chord speaker cable but, highly unlikely that would make much difference.

Thanks again for the advice.

Wine man forthe County

Wine man forthe County
Wammer
Apr 23, 2019
York
AKA
Ian
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The idea of bi-amping is that you have the power amp section of the 6XP driving, say, the treble units of your Quads and the dedicated power amp would drive the bass. There would be more control of the speakers like this. Some end users actually use the power amp on the tweeter connections and the integrated amp on the bass. I do remember Cyrus suggesting this a few years ago. If you do consider looking for a power amp just check this list for future serviceability.

https://www.cyrusaudio.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/08/Supported-Models-August-2022.pdf

Reactions: Rob1n

Rob1n

New Wammer
Oct 25, 2023
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The idea of bi-amping is that you have the power amp section of the 6XP driving, say, the treble units of your Quads and the dedicated power amp would drive the bass. There would be more control of the speakers like this. Some end users actually use the power amp on the tweeter connections and the integrated amp on the bass. I do remember Cyrus suggesting this a few years ago. If you do consider looking for a power amp just check this list for future serviceability.

https://www.cyrusaudio.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/08/Supported-Models-August-2022.pdf
Thanks for the advice.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online