Wammer
Wammer
Apr 10, 2016
Kingston upon Thames
AKA
Andrew Bache
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I bought a 2nd hand CD Xt transport from the classified on here a few years ago.

I have been reasonably happy with it up until a month or so ago when it has started having problems loading and ejecting the CDs.

If they do load, they generally play OK.

It is not one of the models supported for full Cyrus service (which would cost £300 in any case!) but according to the supported models list on link here it might be possible to repair.

https://www.cyrusaudio.com/support/servicing/

Should I send it back to Cyrus for a possible repair or cut my losses and get something else?

Or maybe even attempt a home repair?

I am pretty comfortable pulling things apart and putting them together but can not solder to any sort of reasonable standard.

I have an excellent external DAC that i am happy with so only looking for a good replacement transport.

If anyone has had experience of Cyrus servicing and repairs or indeed DIY repairs on these units, I would love to hear how you got on.

I have lusted for an AudioNote transport for years but can't afford one!

Thoughts?

arb70sok

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 10, 2016
Kingston upon Thames
AKA
Andrew Bache
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Not sure exactly.  I bought 2nd hand on here 4 years ago.  April 2016.  I think that it was at least 2 years old at that time so I would guess 6-8 years old - ish ?

I have not used it that much as I tend to stream more often than not these days.

That said my internet connection seems to get flakier by the week and I am constantly getting drop outs when streaming so I am actually keen to go back to CD's a bit more now.  I occasionally play some ancient vinyl on a budget deck.

Last edited by a moderator:

StingRay

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Apr 27, 2016
Suffolk coast, UK
AKA
Ray
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Believe Cyrus had  a load of problems with this model, even in WHF review it mentions issues with loading some discs, I think they were offering an upgrade to one of their other players, if that is of interest to you. Maybe worth contacting Cyrus to see what they offer. From what I remember, some had theirs repaired but still had problems.  Cyrus blamed whoever made the transport (Philips??), now they make their own.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rockchild

Formerly Radiant Red 🎶
Wammer Plus
Jun 22, 2011
Launceston UK
AKA
Jonathan
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Not sure exactly.  I bought 2nd hand on here 4 years ago.  April 2016.  I think that it was at least 2 years old at that time so I would guess 6-8 years old - ish ?

I have not used it that much as I tend to stream more often than not these days.

That said my internet connection seems to get flakier by the week and I am constantly getting drop outs when streaming so I am actually keen to go back to CD's a bit more now.  I occasionally play some ancient vinyl on a budget deck.
Are you using tidal? Separate question 

Yes, I agree with @BeeRay, nothing to loose by sending an email. They are probably shut down at tho mo but I’m sure someone will be answering emails

hifinutt

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Dec 23, 2007
midlands , , United
AKA
phil
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Chap who I bought my cd8x off spent money at Cyrus fixing it but it failed again. If you can find a cheaper solution it might be worth trying a repair. ??? But seeing as you can get a pretty decent marantz CD 6006 for under 350 quid , that might be more cost effective 

Reactions: Nearly bewildered

Nearly bewildered

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Nov 27, 2019
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
I have one of these..it can be a bit hit and miss at loading cds..but when it actually plays them..its in a league of its own...sometimes if you put cd into slot and press play on remote it pulls it in..im having another problem with mine which is crackling briefly on  certain tracks..quite loud! Worried it might damage my speakers..re trying to fix it? Forget it..best be patient and keep trying to get it to work..it will eventually 

Nearly bewildered

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Nov 27, 2019
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Chap who I bought my cd8x off spent money at Cyrus fixing it but it failed again. If you can find a cheaper solution it might be worth trying a repair. ??? But seeing as you can get a pretty decent marantz CD 6006 for under 350 quid , that might be more cost effective 
Might be cost effective but the cyrus is proper high end player and once you listen to it? No going back..my mate has a MF kw SACD/ cd player and its better than the cyrus..but that is a load of trouble too..wont play SACD anymore..noisy playing discs..but on its valve output..its jaw dropping 

StingRay

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Apr 27, 2016
Suffolk coast, UK
AKA
Ray
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Yes that's true but plenty of used CDPs around for about that price. I find modern CDPs are not so reliable. My Marantz 63SE is about 25 years old and still works, but the tray does stick sometimes. Top loaders are more reliable as no tray problems. 

Marantz Pearl Lite or SA8004 are worth considering, if you can find any, these are a step up from the 6000 series. 

Wine man forthe County

Wine man forthe County
Wammer
Apr 23, 2019
York
AKA
Ian
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
If it is not supported by Cyrus on that list it means they can't/won't repair it in GB.  IMHO £300 would be quite a lot to spend on a player of that age anyway.  I would investigate third party repair agents or look for another used model if it gets worse.  Best of luck. 

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles