Cyrus please stop this poison.

RobHolt

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 28, 2006
East London
AKA
Rob
Being charitable, it looks like one of those products you need to see in the flesh......

That's £3k and for that you get the functionality of a complete rig with some powerful amps in one box. Not so bad and no more expensive that similar products form other brit companies.

Pierre The Bear

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 19, 2009
LEEDS
AKA
John
Do you sell Cyrus gear Rob? Have you heard one?

Although it's not for me (I love lots of boxes) the market for a one box solution is massive.

I guess the real point is how well or otherwise it sounds. If it can manage to beat a £3K system or several then they have a winner otherwise it's another overpriced "lifestyle" product.

The market is flooded with all in one boxes so Cyrus had better make this sound like three K or they are screwed.

RobHolt

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 28, 2006
East London
AKA
Rob
Do you sell Cyrus gear Rob? Have you heard one?
No I don't, but I've always liked cyrus, and I know what that's going to sound like without audition because it will have a solid technical spec ;) (very good in other words).

I can't recall them ever producing a poor product, even a mediocre one come to that.

Pierre The Bear

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 19, 2009
LEEDS
AKA
John
Sorry mate I've just edited at the same time as your reply but I agree with you.

Having owned several Cyrus items I have never had one I didn't like or at least find well built and engaging.

- - - Updated - - -

Having said that, I would like to hear this product. 3K is a lot of dosh so they better have got it right.

mmar

Wammer
Wammer
Jun 16, 2008
North east
AKA
mick
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hifi pig recommend a 700 pounds usb cable :) so the Cyrus looks good value when you factor in its practicality and features

Frizzy brizzy

Wammer
Wammer
Feb 3, 2013
New forest
AKA
Laurie
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
A

lot of manufacturers are trying do design a product that John Lewis will pick, the market for all in ones is huge, look at bang and olufsen, some of their kit still looks and sounds superb. I hope its a bad photo, should put more effort in a signature look.

Rodney Gold

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 13, 2013
Cape Town SA
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The DSP is very interesting, it might well be worth the price if its a dac , pre , amp and a good room correction device all in one .. depends on what the DSP RC does and how well it does it of course...

vacdac

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 19, 2011
Manchester
AKA
Chris
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Cyrus already have a range of 'nearly' streaming products who's price point pitch makes little sense with an all in one at the bottom & separate dedicated streamers further up the range.

http://www.fanthorpes.co.uk/streaming-audio/cyrus-streamline-streamer-2215756-413315-832499.php. If this all in one, with all its attendant extra tech is available for £800 or less, why are the models with no amplification or built in DAC, even more expensive???

This 'un the Streamline2 has digital inputs, but only digital outputs for £1400 RRP WTF!! :doh:
508823f3f03977e43a55fa87da41c97abdca48f6.jpg

Technical Information

The Streamline₂ is compatible withUPNP and DNLA products.

As with all of our products, the Streamline₂ can be connected to our other units via our unique MC-Bus connectivity.

Inputs - 2 x Optical, 3 x SPDIF, 1 x USB and 1 x RS232

File compatibility - WAV, FLAC, ALAC, AAC, MP3, WMA, AIFF

Sample rate compatibility - high resolution 24-bit/192kHz

Outputs - 1 x SPDIF

Dimensions (H x W x D) – 73 x 215 x 360 mm

It seems to me that Cyrus are cost cutting in the product, by not including on board conversion/discrete analogue output stage & then charging as if these are included. Course they sell DACS too:). Not offering an out of the box good to go solution will preclude some buyers who would have wanted summat to get started, w upgrade potential.

sunbeamgls

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 19, 2011
North Wales
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Whilst opinions will always vary on looks. On this one, from the photos, I'm not a fan yet but will wait until I see one for real. For me the normal Cyrus boxes look great in black but cheap and nasty in silver, but I know many others who prefer the silver, so its the usual horses for courses on looks.

As for £3k all-in-one lifestyle systems being "poisonous" I think that's not the case. We are seeing these more and more from Linn, Naim, etc and now Cyrus. If this means they are able to sell high quality sound to a much wider audience then that's good on 2 counts - it widens the audience for decent sound and could well get those people interested in exploring high quality audio further; and it means these companies can make profits to invest in their complete product range. Are they aimed at Wammers? No, of course not (except when they're a couple of years old and a Wammer wants a kitchen / dining room / bedroom system of course). Are they good for Wammers? Quite possibly, if it opens up the market to good quality sound and it generates profits to keep our hifi companies afloat.

sunbeamgls

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 19, 2011
North Wales
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Cyrus already have a range of 'nearly' streaming products who's price point pitch makes little sense with an all in one at the bottom & separate dedicated streamers further up the range.http://www.fanthorpes.co.uk/streaming-audio/cyrus-streamline-streamer-2215756-413315-832499.php. If this all in one, with all its attendant extra tech is available for £800 or less, why are the models with no amplification or built in DAC, even more expensive???

This 'un the Streamline2 has digital inputs, but only digital outputs for £1400RRP WTF!! :doh:
508823f3f03977e43a55fa87da41c97abdca48f6.jpg

Technical Information

The Streamline₂ is compatible withUPNP and DNLA products.

As with all of our products, the Streamline₂ can be connected to our other units via our unique MC-Bus connectivity.

Inputs - 2 x Optical, 3 x SPDIF, 1 x USB and 1 x RS232

File compatibility - WAV, FLAC, ALAC, AAC, MP3, WMA, AIFF

Sample rate compatibility - high resolution 24-bit/192kHz

Outputs - 1 x SPDIF

Dimensions (H x W x D) – 73 x 215 x 360 mm

It seems to me that Cyrus are cost cutting in the product, by not including on board conversion/discrete analogue output stage & then charging as if these are included. Course they sell DACS too:). Not offering an out of the box good to go solution will preclude some buyers who would have wanted summat to get started, w upgrade potential.
Simply comparing functionality and price doesn't tell you anything about how well that functionality is implemented. There is an assumption here that the circuitry of the combined solution is identical to the circuitry of the stand alone solutions. I don't know if this is true or not in this case, but normally Cyrus put more effort into their circuit designs, power supplies etc. as you go up the price range and the sound quality improves as a result. The product you list above (the Streamline2) has a DAC amps in it too, not just a digital output. I think you are mixing up some of the Cyrus products. The Stream XP has a pre-amp and DAC built in and is around £2k.

Your question is pretty much the same as asking what Naim have done with their Uniti range vs the separates. Why does an all in one UnitiQute cost £1k but a stand alone DAC costs £2k? Its because they are very different. And the £2k DAC sounds better than the DAC in the UnitiQute.

vacdac

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 19, 2011
Manchester
AKA
Chris
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Simply comparing functionality and price doesn't tell you anything about how well that functionality is implemented. There is an assumption here that the circuitry of the combined solution is identical to the circuitry of the stand alone solutions. I don't know if this is true or not, but normally Cyrus put more effort into their circuit designs, power supplies etc. as you go up the price range.
Thanks for helping me with any assumptions I may have made:roll:.........Course I knew the 'Power Supplies' White Elephant would soon raise it's head. :doh:

Who said owt about circuitry being identical? I rather said that there is a lot of tech in the all in one & precious little in terms of features/functionality in the dedicated streamers.

Warszawa

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Mar 12, 2013
UK
AKA
Joe
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Re the Streamer pricing, the Streamline 2 is the Streamer + DAC + Integrated version and is now only £799, presumably because of the Lyric. My Stream XP2 was £1299 new last Christmas and the Qx version can be had for around £1800. There's also a Streamer only version and now a Streamer + DAC. I can see why it's confusing. :) I'm very happy with mine.

I agree that the Lyric isn't a looker. This shot is a tad more flattering though.

DSCF1442_zpseff0f829.jpg

mmar

Wammer
Wammer
Jun 16, 2008
North east
AKA
mick
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hmmm I like it and the better half would love it looking forward to hearing some reviews!

JamPal

Content Provider
Wammer
Jul 19, 2005
Sussex, West Side
AKA
James
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Alot of manufacturers are trying do design a product that John Lewis will pick, the market for all in ones is huge, look at bang and olufsen, some of their kit still looks and sounds superb. I hope its a bad photo, should put more effort in a signature look.
Quite, seems like a smart move from Cyrus.

Thanks meridian man for the OTT thread title. poison how? Do you mean you don't like the looks?

- - - Updated - - -

Re the Streamer pricing, the Streamline 2 is the Streamer + DAC + Integrated version and is now only £799, presumably because of the Lyric. My Stream XP2 was £1299 new last Christmas and the Qx version can be had for around £1800. There's also a Streamer only version and now a Streamer + DAC. I can see why it's confusing. :) I'm very happy with mine.I agree that the Lyric isn't a looker. This shot is a tad more flattering though.

DSCF1442_zpseff0f829.jpg
Looks stunning to me! :love:

sunbeamgls

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 19, 2011
North Wales
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Thanks for helping me with any assumptions I may have made:roll:.........Course I knew the 'Power Supplies' White Elephant would soon raise it's head. :doh: Who said owt about circuitry being identical? I rather said that there is a lot of tech in the all in one & precious little in terms of features/functionality in the dedicated streamers.
Power supplies White Elephant? Why? I know they're overpriced, but if you've heard the difference a better power supply can make to a Naim CD Player or Streamer perhaps you would be convinced of their impact? Similarly with the Cyrus PSX-R, the differences are not subtle.

I realise that you didn't actually say anything about circuitry being identical, but it is implied in your question. Your question implies that less functionality should mean less cost - this can only be the case if the remaining circuitry remains identical as some circuitry is being removed. I was merely suggesting that better circuitry design and components could be the answer to your question of why the individual products cost more than the combined. I thought answering your question might be helpful. Also worth noting is that the streamer can make a difference to the sound, its not just about the DAC, as I've heard for myself through comparison and with others present to confirm the findings.

vacdac

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 19, 2011
Manchester
AKA
Chris
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Your question implies that less functionality should mean less cost -
Well this is a model that is applied by many mfrs, as you progress upwards in their ranges. Paying more will generally result in better features/refinements/functionality. Cyrus seem to be applying the same pay more for less ethos as do Porsche for some of their more stripped down track oriented models.

Also worth noting is that the streamer can make a difference to the sound, its not just about the DAC, as I've heard for myself through comparison and with others present to confirm the findings.
Yeah. Whatever. :roll: Let's not get into the veracity of your testing protocols. :nup: We'll just take that as read from your blog. http://www.audiophilemusings.co.uk. Indisputable....No doubt! :roll:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.