DAC inside the Amplifier better ?

ANADROL-50

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 3, 2021
For the best cd quality playback is it a better approach to use a cd player, analogue interconnect and a "normal" amplifier, or, use a cd transport, digital interconnect and then an amplifier with the DAC chip contained inside ?

hiesteem

peacebro
Wammer
Feb 6, 2019
AKA
Pete
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
For the best cd quality playback is it a better approach to use a cd player, analogue interconnect and a "normal" amplifier, or, use a cd transport, digital interconnect and then an amplifier with the DAC chip contained inside ?
I don't think there is a definitive answer. I tend to do research online about the product I am interested in. There is so much information about different DAC chips/op-amps etc .
How well they are put together and implemented is very important as the same Dac can be made to sound different depending upon this.

DomT

Food and coffee and rock n roll
Wammer Plus
Jul 23, 2019
Village near Nottingham.
AKA
Dom
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Depends. And probably the answer may vary depending on your budget. Many good and bad examples of both approaches. Some people are worried about CD mechanism failure. I have tried cheap CDP as a transport and it sounded much worse than a decent CDP into the same DAC.

Reactions: uzzy and ANADROL-50

Boris the Animal

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 21, 2019
Wiltshire
AKA
Alan
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Since changing from a cd player to a cd transport and internal DAC I’m enjoying much improved performance. That will to some extent be on account of general improvements in DAC technology though.

newlash09

Iam deaf at the ears, but way more dumb in between
Wammer
Aug 10, 2018
India
AKA
Y.Manohar / mike
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hi sir :)

In my humble opinion it will depend on the age of the components involved.

In a CD player, the lens reading mechanism and the dac are synced to the same clock.

But when we use the same CD player as a transport to an external dac, that time sync is lost. However, if the external dac is really superior to the inbuilt dac of the CD player, then it might sound better.

Not to mention adding external clocks to sync the CD transport to the external Dac.

So considering so many variables involved, including the quality of the interconnects, I think it will be difficult for me to absolutely take one side sir 😁.

Probably auditoning is the only way to find out 😜

Reactions: ANADROL-50 and DomT

Bodgit

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Feb 27, 2019
Woking
AKA
David
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Another consideration is what other digital sources will need a DAC, what is the priority of SQ for those sources
My Wadia CD player is hardly used as a CD player, but its DAC with volume control works well as a DAC and pre-amp for the TV and streamer.
There are various ways to slice and dice the system.
If I had to buy something to replace this setup, I'd first be looking for a good DAC with volume control, then work from there, may be with streamer functionality too. CD can easily be added with a transport.
If you have analogue sources to plug in too, then you're more restricted and likely will need an analogue pre-amp with a DAC separate to it.

hearhere

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 9, 2013
Portsmouth, UK
AKA
Peter
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
That's the best answer so far! Now remind me, how long is a piece of string?

Depends on quality of individual units, but if one option means there are fewer cables in the system (more likely with the DAC in amp), then I'd tend to favour that, all other factors being equal. The cable that improves sound has yet to be invented (it never will be), so the fewer the better IMO.

Last edited:

lazycat

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Dec 20, 2007
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
My amp Dac has been better, equivalent and now not as good as the various dacs I've tried.

My new Gustard X16 is a step up from the Denon. But the Denon was much better, IMO, than a 2Qute.

ANADROL-50

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 3, 2021
Hi sir :)

In my humble opinion it will depend on the age of the components involved.

In a CD player, the lens reading mechanism and the dac are synced to the same clock.

But when we use the same CD player as a transport to an external dac, that time sync is lost. However, if the external dac is really superior to the inbuilt dac of the CD player, then it might sound better.

Not to mention adding external clocks to sync the CD transport to the external Dac.

So considering so many variables involved, including the quality of the interconnects, I think it will be difficult for me to absolutely take one side sir 😁.

Probably auditoning is the only way to find out 😜
Never been called sir before !

Noted your advice regarding a cd player having its lens reading mechanism and dac in sync with the same clock.

The Denon DCD-A110 / PMA-A110 units share the same DAC hence, can be connected via either analogue or digital cables, but your above point may be the reason why one method is better than the other.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.