DAC upgrade path.

Reluctant

Wammer
Dec 23, 2022
Bracknell, Berkshire. And often in Bristol too.
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I don't know much about these things, but added a Cambridge DAC Magic 100 to my CD based system a while back. (Rega Apollo/Rega Brio R/Linn Kan Mk V) There were small overall improvements that made it worthwhile. Recently upgraded to an Arcam RDAC and made significant improvements in all departments ~ really quite impressive for reasonable outlay.
Which got me thinking, as you do ~ how much might I gain by upgrading to a Rega DAC or DAC R? Or other options that I could score used for 2 or 3 hundred? Real life experiences or opinions appreciated please :)

Reactions: Friendly Ghost

Lurch

Piss-taker & Gobshite Par Excelle'nce
Wammer Plus
Sep 17, 2016
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
At £200 - £300 in my opinion, the only thing you'd achieve is a change of flavour, as opposed to a step change in SQ. To do that you need to atleast DOUBLE your budget and preferably TRIPLE it so you can look at DACs like the Chord Quetest, RME ADI-2, Jolida Glass fx, etc.

bencat

Amplifier Destroyer
Wammer Plus
Feb 6, 2010
Liverpool
AKA
Andrew
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Sadly I would have to agree with @Lurch at the level you are looking at yes DAC,s are different but not in a huge way . You might find an Audiolab or Musical Fidelity that suits you more but it will be either a sideways or marginal move . If things are right and it is going to be a while then look out for a well priced Rega DAC I heard one in a recent DAC off against some quite more expensive units including my own at the time Denafrips . While side by side other DAC,s were better in some areas the Rega was just musical and made you want to listen to more and in isolation at home I am sure it will all you ever need until you can really upgrade .

The Great Soprendo

Wammer
Feb 14, 2023
Sunderland
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Funnily enough I'm sitting here happily getting kicks from my own upgrade from a DacMagic100 (with Chromecast Audio for wireless via WiFi) to an Ifi Zen One Signature. It's quite a dramatic improvement just with Spotify over LDAC/Bluetooth. Haven't tried any of the really hires options yet.

This doesn't really help you as you're probably wanting a step up from where I am, but I must say I'm very impressed by my first impressions :) . The Ifi retails for £349 most places but I got it for £279 with a 20% code on eBay. At that price it's a formidable option for a first upgrade, if anyone's in a similar boat to where I was until yesterday!

Reactions: Reluctant

pmcuk

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 12, 2015
Kensington, London
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I upgraded my AK4490 DAC simply by changing the op-amp in it from NE5532 to LM6172. Big improvement! I have no idea which DACs use which op-amps, though.

DiggyGun

DiggyGun
Wammer Plus
Jul 15, 2020
UK
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I went from the Cambridge Audio DACMagic 100 to the Khadas Tone Board and that was a significant improvement.

DG…

Thetiminator

Painfully Virile
Wammer
Nov 12, 2012
In the doghouse :(
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
At £200 - £300 in my opinion, the only thing you'd achieve is a change of flavour, as opposed to a step change in SQ. To do that you need to atleast DOUBLE your budget and preferably TRIPLE it so you can look at DACs like the Chord Quetest, RME ADI-2, Jolida Glass fx, etc.
This. IME Dac sq only gets noticeably better in step ups in price e.g. £1k, £2k, £4k, £10k, £20k. Dacs at similar price point will sound different rather than noticeably better. Lurch’s recommendations are spot on.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles