Food and coffee and rock n roll
Wammer Plus
Jul 23, 2019
Village near Nottingham.
AKA
Dom
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I am so fed up now of one car wheel going bang when hitting a large pot hole. When travelling behind a vehicle you see them too late and I don't tailgate.
Apparently a large sub woofer will sort that out…..or Road Correction 🤣🤣🤣

norliss

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 11, 2009
Cardiff
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Cardiff peeps: am I mistaken or was there not a shop called Radfords at the top-end of Cowbridge Road East (near Victoria Park) at some point? Probably early/mid-90s?

Moomintroll

Fictional Character - not to be taken literally
Wammer
May 20, 2014
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Unless you count Bang & Olufsen on Pink Lane, Richer Sounds on Clayton Street, and Newcastle Hifi at Kenton.
Newcastle Hifi is now Peter Tyson’s at Kingston Park. There’s also Audio Republic near the Metrocentre. Lintone Audio closed its doors last year.

’troll

ROOG

Wammer
Dec 12, 2020
Radford HiFi Gloucester Road Bristol, long since gone, that despite their treatment of me as a 20 year old. My first item of HiFi was a decent, Teac Cassette deck. Took it home and tried it, it clearly had an issue with one channel so I tool it back that afternoon, it was around 4pm. I remember the shop assistant being quite abrupt, he didn't bother to plug mine in, but went straight to the rack where the demo model was, ripped the cable from the wall, leaving bare cable ends, no plug, stuffed it in the box mine was in and bundled me out of the shop. I was so shocked I didn't raise any protest. I have no idea why they treated me this way, I know it was late afternoon on a Satuarday but, really? A true gluten for punishment I returned to buy other things over the following years. The cassette player worked fine until it reached the end of its economic life a couple of decades later. I still have the big VU meters from it, I should have refurbished the unit, but I really didn't see the point at the time.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cyclopse

jkbmusic

Staff member
Nov 25, 2006
Brittunculi
AKA
Jeff
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Newcastle Hifi is now Peter Tyson’s at Kingston Park. There’s also Audio Republic near the Metrocentre. Lintone Audio closed its doors last year.

’troll
Though almost 5 miles from the centre of Newcastle, I get most of my “stuff” from Peter Tyson. Audio Republic only opened in Gateshead last year. Thanks for the heads up, I’ll check them out, as I occasionally visit the Metro Centre.

Reactions: MVJ and Moomintroll

Nopiano

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 19, 2016
Monmouthshire, Wales
AKA
Nick
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
That's sad to hear, I remember buying some speakers from there in the 90s and Paul delivered them to my house in Bristol for me after the shop closed one evening (I didn't have a car) - a true gent.
The speakers in question were Ruark Templar ii if I remember correctly
Yes, Paul Green was a lovely chap. I bought my ATCs there in 2017. But he is well into his seventies and his son didn’t seem to share his passion or knowledge, despite working at his shop. He basically retired, and closed up, having not grasped the opportunities some did during Covid of majoring on mail order.

The trouble is there’s almost zero goodwill value in most hifi businesses so nothing to sell.

glenhb

Glenhb
Wammer
Feb 3, 2019
Doncaster
AKA
Glen Buddery
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Tom Jaques on the corner of Wood Street and Waterdale in Doncaster.
Bought some of my first kit from there in the 80's
Found a couple of old receipts recently.
Denon PMA 400 amplifier for £175 plus a TU 300 tuner for free and a Dual CS505 turntable for £72.50. PXL_20230202_111434855.jpg

Reactions: JAD

ROOG

Wammer
Dec 12, 2020
Yes, Paul Green was a lovely chap. I bought my ATCs there in 2017. But he is well into his seventies and his son didn’t seem to share his passion or knowledge, despite working at his shop. He basically retired, and closed up, having not grasped the opportunities some did during Covid of majoring on mail order.

The trouble is there’s almost zero goodwill value in most hifi businesses so nothing to sell.

Yes, I was sorry to see Paul Green HiFi go, as a student in Bath in the early 80's I used to frequent their shop on Bath road quite a lot, I even bought some stuff! and used them again in 2018 having moved back into the area.

MVJ

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Apr 9, 2020
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Though almost 5 miles from the centre of Newcastle, I get most of my “stuff” from Peter Tyson. Audio Republic only opened in Gateshead last year. Thanks for the heads up, I’ll check them out, as I occasionally visit the Metro Centre.
The Audio Republic in Newcastle is the same fella who has Audio Republic in Headingley in Leeds. His name is Andrew and he has had the shop in Leeds for a long time but he's a Geordie & wanted to be back home so someone runs the Leeds shop for him.

Andrew is a nice bloke and has a good reputation here in Leeds Anthony bought a Rega TT Phonostage & AT cart from him early last year and Andrew delivered it and set it up for him which was nice of him.

I'm sure it will be worth putting your head round the door if your passing👍

Vincent52

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 23, 2011
North Yorkshire
AKA
Graeme
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
As Steve says, Andrew is a lovely fellow, I bought lots of stuff from him after moving back up north 20 years ago. Last time I saw
him he was fishing in my local reservoir 🙄
Shame he has moved up to Newcastle, Leeds will miss him. Your gain is our loss!

Reactions: MVJ and jkbmusic

ae111sr

Wammer
Mar 12, 2018
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Cardiff peeps: am I mistaken or was there not a shop called Radfords at the top-end of Cowbridge Road East (near Victoria Park) at some point? Probably early/mid-90s?
Norliss, yes there was. If I remember rightly it was on the corner of York Street and Cowbridge Road, opposite the Maltings pub, that’s no longer there either. Many years ago I bought a Bang and Olufsen Beovision TV from them.

Reactions: norliss

Strider

Show me your Fooses
Wammer Plus
Jan 16, 2006
Here and there
AKA
Mark
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I would spend many happy afternoons in Westwood and Mason in Oxford, a couple of genuinely nice fellas, camp as a row of tents but always great company.
Not like the miserable man a street away that only sold Linn and Naim, its great to see him still trading but lifting flat earth kit has broken his funny bone.

• Love
Reactions: MVJ

norliss

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 11, 2009
Cardiff
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Norliss, yes there was. If I remember rightly it was on the corner of York Street and Cowbridge Road, opposite the Maltings pub, that’s no longer there either. Many years ago I bought a Bang and Olufsen Beovision TV from them.
That's interesting. I seemed to remember it being in one of the units at the top right opposite Victoria Park but if you actually went in there and bough a TV from them, I would be inclined to trust your memory rather than mine!

Reactions: ae111sr

Ady

Shoebox Ady. United by a love of music & equipment
Wammer Plus
Oct 13, 2018
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Back in 1997 ish there was a guy who ran a hi-fi shop from a victorian house near to the center of Loughborough. He was a great chap but my memory being what it is, I can't remember his name or the business name. I do remember buying a Rega Rp3 and Rega amp with Royd Minstrel SE speakers from him though.
Can anyone remember his details? Would be interesting to know what transpired.
Cheers Ady

ae111sr

Wammer
Mar 12, 2018
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
That's interesting. I seemed to remember it being in one of the units at the top right opposite Victoria Park but if you actually went in there and bough a TV from them, I would be inclined to trust your memory rather than mine!
I've had another look and I think you are correct, it was closer to Victoria Park.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles