Did you ever play in a band ??

GJO

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 1, 2006
Kent, ,
AKA
Graham
In my youth I played drums in a band,mainly late 60's to early 70's,played mainly down south with a few trips to Sweden and Germany.Played the Albert Hall twice,Royal Festival Hall and Earls Court as well plus quite a few other venues.

The money I got paid for one show was more then the meagre weekly wage as an apprentice,sometimes £10 a show:)

I won't out of modesty tell who I played with but am sure you will all know the name.
biggrin.png

kennyk

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Aug 8, 2005
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
quite a few have done, I think. I played guitar and irish bouzouki in semi-pro folk/trad band until they sacked me last year.

go on, spill the beans.
biggrin.png

Boxer

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 2, 2005
Back in the late 70s/early 80s my brother-in-law was bass player for a band called Crawling Chaos, who recorded a song called Sex Machine (nothing to do with James Brown), which has the rare, if not unique, claim to fame of John Peel playing it on his show, but taking it off halfway thru` `cos it was so disgustingly filthy! Evidently Peelie hadn't listened to it, assuming it was a James Brown cover:D:D.

Boxer

G

Yes . Keyboards and lead vocals as a young pup. I was terrible keyboard player and an even worse vocalist. Did some minor gigs nothing major. We mostly did Stones covers. We once did our own piss poor version of Alright Now. It was at that junction i realised what a set of lungs and voice Paul Rogers had:shock:. I gave up soon after that. It was so the right decision.
tongue.png

The Strat

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 17, 2005
Buckingham, UK
AKA
Lindsay
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Yeah - played lead guitar - similar to Duvet I realised that how great Paul Kossoff really was!! Soon gave up.

IHaveNoNaim

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 27, 2005
, ,
Drums and occasional one note bass in a fey indie rock band. Still have the drum kit languishing unloved under the stairs

Leonard Smalls

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 14, 2005
Shropshire Borders,
I played bass in a band called Dredd and the Badass Weeds, members of which later became Utah Saints and the New Fast Automatic Daffodils...

Then in a band called Barf Roco - we headlined the Marquee a number of times where we had the distinction of being the only band to have a fat Father Christmas stripper, plus supporting Carter and Gaye Bykers for a tour each...

Then in a 16 piece free jazz funk collective in Hoxton, currently I'min a 3 piece hard rock band.

GJO

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 1, 2006
Kent, ,
AKA
Graham
kennyk wrote:

go on, spill the beans.
biggrin.png
A few more clues,also played Battersea park,Munich beer festival,Hic,Fairfield Halls and West Ham football club.

There is a clue inAlbert Hall,although Idon't have ginger hair !!

dudywoxer

Looking for a bigger stirring stick
Wammer
Jul 19, 2005
sunny scunny
AKA
colin
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
History--- my names dudy- not solid

I played in a local brass band is all, (scotter- just across the river from Epworth)

thats lost most of this lot.

Started on Cornet, then flugal horn, then tenor horn. We didn't get paid, but the band did. Outdoor traditional brass band concerts in the summer, concerts in theatres and clubs any time of year, plus the compulsory brass band concerts. (flat caps and ferets optional)

Never anything grand, two practice nights a week, wednesday for the competition stuff, and thursday or friday for the concert stuff. Unusually we played a lot of Big Band music at the concerts, which always went down well.

dudywoxer

Wammer
Jul 19, 2005
sunny scunny
AKA
colin
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Yes, for the concerts- Guy called geoff, or Jeff, I think, can not remember his surname, but it's 30 years ago.

kennyk

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Aug 8, 2005
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
GJO wrote:

kennyk wrote:
go on, spill the beans.
biggrin.png
A few more clues,also played Battersea park,Munich beer festival,Hic,Fairfield Halls and West Ham football club.

There is a clue inAlbert Hall,although Idon't have ginger hair !!
mind's completely blank. anything else?

GJO

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 1, 2006
Kent, ,
AKA
Graham
OK,drum roll

Was the Royal British Legion,used to play side drum at carnivals etc and also concerts including rememberence sunday,they also let me play the big kettle drums and variouspercusion instruments.Mainly military and glen miller jazzy type stuff.

Earls court we did the intermission at the royal tournament,west ham was a couple of renditions of bubbles and watch the match for free as well.

Was asked to leave when my hair no longer fitted under the cap,well was at college by then.

Craig

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
Copenhagen
AKA
Craig
Dudy - we're years apart then. My best mate, and occasional drum man, played drums for a few of the local brass bands, including Scotter

I was more of a swing band man myself:)

dudywoxer

Wammer
Jul 19, 2005
sunny scunny
AKA
colin
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I would imagine we are a few years apart- 1954 was a good vintage though

Forum statistics