Legend Wammer
Wammer
Apr 27, 2016
Suffolk coast, UK
AKA
Ray
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Although I'm going to watch the vid Martin sent, I don't bother with headphone reviews as I think they are too disparate a medium from room filling speakers. I also never use headphones and probably never would as I don't like the feel.
Yes, I'm the same as you but most of these youtube reviews are primarily headphone based, sometimes you use speakers but often desktop type set up.

Warszawa

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Mar 12, 2013
UK
AKA
Joe
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Fourleg’s evaluation is just as valid as ‘Golden Sound’.
Fourlegs pans any DAC that isn't made by Chord. Goldensound doesn't have a vested interest in any brand. Make of that what you will. I'll leave it there as we're not supposed to discuss banned members.

Sounds like ChemMan will be drawing his own conclusions from home demo anyway, which is exactly how it should be. I suspect he may finally discover that the DAC makes a much bigger difference than the digital transport.

Reactions: newlash09 and Gizza

Warszawa

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Mar 12, 2013
UK
AKA
Joe
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The reason why aurender is not in this list is because I can't find much info about using them as a upnp server with a external streamer or streaming dac,
As I understand it, non-Aurender streamers will see the storage but can't use the Aurender media server. I can play files from my Sonos speakers for example because Sonos compiles the media library.

Reactions: newlash09

MartinC

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 29, 2005
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Although I'm going to watch the vid Martin sent, I don't bother with headphone reviews as I think they are too disparate a medium from room filling speakers. I also never use headphones and probably never would as I don't like the feel.
The technical aspects apply no matter whether headphones or speakers are used and it was especially these I was suggesting may be of interest to you.

Re. the headphones point Cameron (Goldensound) has shared in the past that when he has compared using speakers and headphones to test he's come to the same conclusions. He went to particular lengths in this regard in his controversial dCS Bartok review actually. I can see arguments both ways on this point but don't personally think headphone reviews of DACs are inherently completely useless.

DomT

Food and coffee and rock n roll
Wammer Plus
Jul 23, 2019
Village near Nottingham.
AKA
Dom
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Fourlegs pans any DAC that isn't made by Chord. Goldensound doesn't have a vested interest in any brand. Make of that what you will. I'll leave it there as we're not supposed to discuss banned members.
Not borne out by his posts on here. He and others who have also left have written many posts of value. But it’s always worth reading posts understanding where the person is coming from. For me it’s typically easier to understand someone from here than elsewhere.

DomT

Wammer Plus
Jul 23, 2019
Village near Nottingham.
AKA
Dom
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Finally, it would take some doing, but I can probably get the Aurender, Spec and Holo here at the same time and possible even the Pulse and if I'm super clever, even a current Linn Akurate with Kat. Someone needs to get the first train to Brussels and help me out. :)
Hang on let me think. ChemMan. Great wine. Great DACs…….er……. Brussels….. I nearly bought a train ticket (flight) Steve!

• Haha
  • Mind Blown
Reactions: ChemMan and MartinC

ChemMan

ChemMan
Wammer
Aug 8, 2018
Brussels
AKA
Steve
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
abso
The technical aspects apply no matter whether headphones or speakers are used and it was especially these I was suggesting may be of interest to you.
Yes, I enjoyed all of that tech especially. Thanks Martin as it answered lots of questions.

Reactions: MartinC

ChemMan

ChemMan
Wammer
Aug 8, 2018
Brussels
AKA
Steve
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
They replace the entire works. Mine was done at the local dealer in a couple of hours. This is my old board, once removed. You’ll see all the sockets etc swap too.
They just confirmed that Katalyst upgrades are on hold indefinitely because of the fire to the factory that makes that Velvet chip.

Nopiano

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 19, 2016
Monmouthshire, Wales
AKA
Nick
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
They just confirmed that Katalyst upgrades are on hold indefinitely because of the fire to the factory that makes that Velvet chip.
Ah, interesting. I wondered how long their inventory might last. First I’ve learned of that. (I got mine last April, as I didn’t have the funds until the price rose last Spring).

There wasn’t much wrong with the /2 version, mind, and that has Wolfson DACs as still used by Rega, Lumin and others. For the top Klimax line Linn now program FPGAs themselves rather like Chord, which is probably better for long-term production stability.

PS. As you’re only looking for a source, not a preamp as well, then an earlier Klimax DS/3 has a Katalyst DAC and is often good value used, around £5000 with some remaining warranty.

Last edited:

nomore landings

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 27, 2018
Dawson's Field
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
I've got an appointment next Tuesday for a listen to the Spec DAC w/ Innuos Pulse using my amp and Spender D7.2. He also offered a Rupert Neve DAC. A quick look shows me it's pro-audio come to market with superlative headphone amp and pre.

The Holo Spring would be shipped to me so, other than return postage, I'd get ten days or so with it.

Finally, it would take some doing, but I can probably get the Aurender, Spec and Holo here at the same time and possible even the Pulse and if I'm super clever, even a current Linn Akurate with Kat. Someone needs to get the first train to Brussels and help me out. :)

So this is my tentative shortlist in addition to a line on a €1.3k old Akurate DS1 which could then be sent to Linn for upgrade.
Good luck with the dem. to my ears the Pulse is a definite step up from a 2021 node as a streamer so will be interested to hear your thoughts. My previous experiences have been spdif and was going to try aes EBU, but the dealer suggested USB as much higher bandwidth if needed in future. I use an Audioquest Carbon usb and cannot fault the sq.
Regarding the AKM4497, there were a pair in my TEAC NT 505 - a very good stand alone for the money, although the TEAC/ Lumin/Esoteric app/OS doesn't come close to BluOS or Sense. There is a new chip now, the AKM 4499 ex, see the Gustard A26 which is possibly the first user. There is a seperate AKM upsampling chip in tandem. It will be interesting to see if the many manufactures, such as TEAC, hifi Rose, who had to switch to ESS, move back next time. Personally, I'm happy with the dual ESS 9038s in the MF, but see there is already a new version. Digital is constantly on the move and is behind the rational to go with a separate streamer this time. No experience with R2R, but the Holos are the genuine article, unlike some allegedly.
I liked the spendor D7s auditioned several years ago. They will certainly reveal any differences, imho. Hope you have a fruitful dem.

Gizza

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Mar 12, 2011
Sutton Coldfield
AKA
Gary
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Is a DAC chip replacement in the event of a failure a viable option for any DAC? Not sure it is but then I also don't recall ever hearing of a DAC chip failing in the first place.
I'd have thought that a manufacturer would be able to replace a chip in one their dacs for an acceptable length of time. Seeing as the
Is a DAC chip replacement in the event of a failure a viable option for any DAC? Not sure it is but then I also don't recall ever hearing of a DAC chip failing in the first place.
I'd have thought that a manufacturer would be normally be able to replace a chip in one their dacs for an acceptable length of time. Seeing as the installed chips in this 2021 dac are now unobtainable, I would want to ensure that a chip failure would not render the unit scrap. Perhaps others would not worry about this.

MartinC

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 29, 2005
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I'd have thought that a manufacturer would be normally be able to replace a chip in one their dacs for an acceptable length of time. Seeing as the installed chips in this 2021 dac are now unobtainable, I would want to ensure that a chip failure would not render the unit scrap. Perhaps others would not worry about this.

I was partly thinking that it's far more likely that an entire PCB would be replaced than purely a DAC chip by the way. The company may have spares even if it's not possible to go out and buy a replacement DAC chip, either of the whole PCB or the chip. Have you ever heard of a DAC chip failing though? I guess it must be possible but I really don't think I've ever heard of this. I've also used a range of DACs and CD players of various ages over the years and have never had any issues with the DAC sections. I do of course take your point that repair becomes a more significant concern for DACs costing thousands of pounds than cheaper ones.

Last edited:
Reactions: lazycat and Gizza

Gizza

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Mar 12, 2011
Sutton Coldfield
AKA
Gary
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I was partly thinking that it's far more likely that an entire PCB would be replaced than purely a DAC chip by the way. The company may have spares even if it's not possible to go out and buy a replacement DAC chip, either of the whole PCB or the chip. Have you ever heard of a DAC chip failing though? I guess it must be possible but I really don't think I've ever heard of this. I've also used a range of DACs and CD players of various ages over the years and have never had any issues with the DAC sections. I do of course take your point that repair becomes a more significant concern for DACs costing thousands of pounds that cheaper ones.
I haven't heard of a chip failing either, but I don't think that would allay my concerns. Audio Synthesis used to offer a choice of 2 different brands of chip in their Dax2 dac, I believe they could just be swapped and slotted in. I guess the board could very well be replaced, but I'd want to know the kind of cost this would incur out of warranty. Looks a lovely dac, though!

ChemMan

ChemMan
Wammer
Aug 8, 2018
Brussels
AKA
Steve
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I guess the board could very well be replaced, but I'd want to know the kind of cost this would incur out of warranty. Looks a lovely dac, though!
Certainly a "warranted" concern. The wood base is a nice touch no doubt, and the sound was as you read. I've been less than intrepid with the DACs coming out of Asia, specifically these two year warranty things from Singapore and HK. OTOH, I guess I am just used to the British companies I've used in the past like Arcam, KEF, B&W, Spendor and the joint UK/Japan venture that is my CD player from Rotel. They offer quality gear and stand behind them with sizable warranties/service networks. Not saying the new guys don't -- just a lack of familiarity on my part.

Reactions: Gizza

DomT

Wammer Plus
Jul 23, 2019
Village near Nottingham.
AKA
Dom
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Certainly a "warranted" concern. The wood base is a nice touch no doubt, and the sound was as you read. I've been less than intrepid with the DACs coming out of Asia, specifically these two year warranty things from Singapore and HK. OTOH, I guess I am just used to the British companies I've used in the past like Arcam, KEF, B&W, Spendor and the joint UK/Japan venture that is my CD player from Rotel. They offer quality gear and stand behind them with sizable warranties/service networks. Not saying the new guys don't -- just a lack of familiarity on my part.
And this is where risk appetite comes in. For me the service element is important. And so I would not buy a product without distribution and proper back up. I bought a nice brand once that had marginal UK back up but the reality was that there was none when the amp had a problem. I loved the amp but not the back up.

Reactions: Gizza

ChemMan

ChemMan
Wammer
Aug 8, 2018
Brussels
AKA
Steve
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Please note that my description of asynchronous USB implementation has been over simplified to make it easily understandable. Though it seems to be a lot more complex with various implementations of varying degrees of the same.
That may be, however, I was unclear what it all meant and with the learning curve I'm on, it's a need to know basis, and that' all I need to know. Cheers

ChemMan

ChemMan
Wammer
Aug 8, 2018
Brussels
AKA
Steve
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Let's muddy the waters a bit:

1. I just received offers from my dealer for the Spec DAC and Aurender and the Akurate DSM/3 with KAT. They are both within my acceptable price range. All are ex-demo

2. The Holo Spring DAC KTE is now VERY interesting. I'd have to buy new and buy it without hearing it, but with the EU two week return policy minus fees. I've started a thread in the computer section to find out how to upsample and what additional gear would be required.

https://www.hifiwigwam.com/threads/...igital-platform-without-roon-or-a-nas.116786/

Reactions: DomT and Nopiano

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles