Digital Switch Box Mystery

smegger68

With your sister, somewhere you wouldn't like.
Wammer
Jan 18, 2006
Bridgend
AKA
James
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I just bought one of these the other day:

n50ck.jpg

Which is a Bandridge Digital Switch Box, for using multiple digital devices into one input. Maplins sell them here: http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=97934&doy=6m7 for the princely sum of £50.

I use it to send the digital outputs of my Pioneer Multiplayer (Co-Ax), HTPC (Optical) & X-Box (Optical) into my NOS-DAC (Co-Ax).

Whats strange is that all 3 inputs now sound noticably better than they did before. This is exactly the opposite of what I was expecting to happen, I was convinced the unit would degrade the sound. Instead I find the timing is better, there is more seperation between the instruments and noticably more detail. The sound also seems to have a drier, less euphoric quality than before.

The unit is powered by a small 6V Wall Wart.

Anybody got any ideas at all as to why this unit has made such a difference? I'm happy, but kind of confused!

The Swedish Chef

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 25, 2005
Göteborg, , Sweden
AKA
Philip
because its new and you are trying to hear a difference, give it 4 weeks, then remove it and see what you think.

i've found that just about everything i try i my system results in a different presentation, but only long term listening will determine if different is actually better

edited to add that i hope it does continue to sound better for you.

phin

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 17, 2007
Toronto, Ontario, Ca
smegger68 wrote:

n50ck.jpg

Which is a Bandridge Digital Switch Box, for using multiple digital devices into one input. Maplins sell them here: http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=97934&doy=6m7 for the princely sum of £50.

I use it to send the digital outputs of my Pioneer Multiplayer (Co-Ax), HTPC (Optical) & X-Box (Optical) into my NOS-DAC (Co-Ax).

Whats strange is that all 3 inputs now sound noticably better than they did before. This is exactly the opposite of what I was expecting to happen, I was convinced the unit would degrade the sound. Instead I find the timing is better, there is more seperation between the instruments and noticably more detail. The sound also seems to have a drier, less euphoric quality than before.

Anybody got any ideas at all as to why this unit has made such a difference? I'm happy, but kind of confused!
Smegger you still feel the same way about the improvement. I was seriously thinking of getting a cdp but now I think I may get a DAC (benchmark/stello etc.) and use my dvp as a transport. With the left over cash I may get a 500G external harddrive and a Squeeze box duet? Anyone have thoughts on this.

smegger68

With your sister, somewhere you wouldn't like.
Wammer
Jan 18, 2006
Bridgend
AKA
James
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
phin wrote:

smegger68 wrote:
n50ck.jpg

Smegger you still feel the same way about the improvement. I was seriously thinking of getting a cdp but now I think I may get a DAC (benchmark/stello etc.) and use my dvp as a transport. With the left over cash I may get a 500G external harddrive and a Squeeze box duet? Anyone have thoughts on this.
Well my system has changed and I no longer need the switchbox but I maintain that it made an improvement. It's probably very system dependant though.

As for your plan to buy either a CD player or DAC and a squeezebox, only you know what suits you better. I suspect the dac & squeezebox route would be more versatile but as ever, YMMV
smile.png

phin

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 17, 2007
Toronto, Ontario, Ca
Umm, not sure all my digital o/p are coax or optical. I am thinking maybe the 840C could be a way to go, it is a cdp and has two digital inputs one for SB, one for movies. And I guess Tv be damned. But then again the price jumps up again.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zlatan