DIY Mains Lead

DiggyGun

DiggyGun
Wammer Plus
Jul 15, 2020
UK
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Made up two DIY mains cables today to replace some Naim PowerLineLites.

Got some;
- Belden Mains Power Cable “New 19364 – 83803 Combined Design”
- Braided nylon sleeving (in black to tone down the red mains cable)
- IEC C13 heavy duty (for larger diameter mains cable, up to 6mm2)
- Re-used the Naim Type G plugs, (as I liked the floating cable retainer

The original mains lead had a cross section of 0.75mm2, whereas the Belden cable has a cross section of 2.5mm2, so a bit bigger.

All went together well. However, getting the cable to fit the plug was a bit of a struggle, but got there in the end, by careful manipulation of the routing of the cable.

They’ve been installed for a few hours now and have noticed a difference. They appear to be louder, with more detail for both the bass and treble, noticed some cymbals that I hadn’t really heard before. Slightly brash in some areas, but I’ll let them burn in for a number of hours and see what happens.

Might keep an eye out for some heavy duty type G plugs for larger diameter mains cable to give a bit more space in the actual plug. Any one used some larger plugs, which they can recommend.

If it doesn’t work out, I’ll have to resort to Plan B and buy some ready made cables.

In the meantime, I’ll just have some fun listening to the Jazz

DG…

DiggyGun

DiggyGun
Wammer Plus
Jul 15, 2020
UK
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Found some larger capacity plugs, the MS HD 238s.

Ordered these with a Rhodium plating, which can take a cable with an external diameter of 16mm plus a cable cross section of 4mm2, so should be plenty of space.

Seen these in use by The Chord Company on their top end cables, so if good enough for them…

I’ll update further once I’ve received, fitted and done the burn in.

In the meantime, the brashness I mentioned previously has gone and the cables are settling down nicely.

DiggyGun

DiggyGun
Wammer Plus
Jul 15, 2020
UK
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
@MF 1000

I looked at these and considered them.

However, I wanted the cable to be at a right angle to the socket.

DG…

Last edited:

DiggyGun

DiggyGun
Wammer Plus
Jul 15, 2020
UK
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The new MS HD 238 plugs have arrived.

The existing cables had settled down nicely, so now to see what the new plugs sound like.

Changed them over today. They have a very firm cable connection system which is good. They accept an external cable diameter of up to 16 mm and a cable size of 4 mm2.

They appear to be fairly substantial and easy to wire up with the larger diameter cable, which was nice.

Shouldn’t take too long to burn in as the cables have been running for about a week now.

DG…

Reactions: Fullrange

DiggyGun

DiggyGun
Wammer Plus
Jul 15, 2020
UK
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
It’s been just over a week since the plugs were changed over.

Everything has settled down and in summary;
- The harshness has gone
- Bass seems to be very deep at times, but controlled and detailed
- The upper registers are quite detailed, particularly piano
- Percussion appears to be more noticeable. Stands out more and is clearer, particularly drums

All in all, very happy with the changes, with a bit more clearer definition and bass.

It was worthwhile playing around with different power cables and finding an option, which to us, provided some good benefits without being too expensive.

Now to carry on listening to the Jazz.

DG…

bencat

Amplifier Destroyer
Wammer Plus
Feb 6, 2010
Liverpool
AKA
Andrew
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
According to some people, making your own mains leads invalidates your house insurance
I think it is not the case but insurance companies can and will use anything to get out of paying out . If you are honestly worried then you could get any diy lead PAC tested and then you would most certainly be covered .

Reactions: audio_PHIL_e

MartinC

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 29, 2005
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The insurance point may well be true but personally I take the view that the mains cables I have most confidence in being well made are the ones I constructed.

By contrast I bought one Chinese DAC a few years ago that was a provided with an unfused 'UK' mains plug. I never used it on safety grounds but just moving it between boxes at one point the earth pin snapped off too! It was this sort of thing:

https://electricheatingcosts.com/dangerous-13a-plugs-from-china-swegway-warning/

I'm sure there are people in the UK who will be naively using such plugs.

Reactions: Lokes

StingRay

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Apr 27, 2016
Suffolk coast, UK
AKA
Ray
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
According to some people, making your own mains leads invalidates your house insurance
If it causes the fire then yes, it could invalidate your insurance cover.

It is a concern. Can get checked by an electrician but that will cost money and probably need to repeat every few years.

I turn my Hifi off when not using it, so there will be less risk then.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles