Linn Owners

Do mains sockets impact on sound quality?

pirov

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 25, 2018
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Following the similarly titled post on power cables ('Do they impact SQ'), here's one on mains sockets which I'm guessing will provoke similarly mixed responses.

Having read somewhere that switches on mains outlets are not good for SQ, I thought I would try swapping a pair of double switched sockets for unswitched.

Whether due to their exceptionally dirty condition (photo), or the 'noise' caused by the switch, replacing the old sockets has I think improved SQ.

Big claims are made by some manufacturers about the benefits of rhodium, silver and gold plating on socket connections. I only had the opportunity to compare standard with gold plated, but definitely preferred the latter which I have kept in my system.

Anyone with relevant experience?

(I'm in the UK) tempImagetFNxxu.png

Reactions: Paulssurround

Ron.P

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 28, 2022
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Following the similarly titled post on power cables ('Do they impact SQ'), here's one on mains sockets which I'm guessing will provoke similarly mixed responses.

Having read somewhere that switches on mains outlets are not good for SQ, I thought I would try swapping a pair of double switched sockets for unswitched.

Whether due to their exceptionally dirty condition (photo), or the 'noise' caused by the switch, replacing the old sockets has I think improved SQ.

Big claims are made by some manufacturers about the benefits of rhodium, silver and gold plating on socket connections. I only had the opportunity to compare standard with gold plated, but definitely preferred the latter which I have kept in my system.

Anyone with relevant experience?

(I'm in the UK) tempImagetFNxxu.png
Anything that limits current will effect SQ. I replaced the outlet feeding my hifi, mostly for better grip and I was surprised how cheaply made the orignal was and also by the slight sound improvement. Could have been my imagination but the better grip wasn't.

Jail4CEOs2

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Dec 2, 2018
Taiwan
AKA
LG G2 65 OLED
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Luckily Taiwan uses the same plugs and voltage as the U.S., so I bought a Porter Port, which is essentially a cryoed Hubbell unit. It was forty bucks delivered. I did a whole bunch of power stuff when it went in, so I can't say it itself did much. I was having a hum on my headphone amp using XLR cables here in my condo, with all the hash you'd expect from communal power supply. The hum didn't disappear, but was reduced by 70% after all the wiring was sorted. I also had an Environment Potentials Digiplug installed in the two gang box that feeds the hifi, and that was probably the bigger difference maker. Now the Porter Port grips like a fiend, and is located next to the Digiplug. This has provided some (more) surge protection, and has measurably reduced the noise in the $189 headphone amp. The seventy percent reduction in noise the headphone amp probably means my much higher quality Dynamik power supplies are having to work less to tame the power they're receiving.

The image you've shown says it probably made good mechanical sense to replace it. Electrical boxes are always full of dust and plaster, so I vacuum them out before new plugs go in. I've seen there are hospital grade (and above) receptacles available for the UK, that can probably be had for less than 10£. Find a contractor who can offer and install one for you. If nothing else, you'll be safe for the next few decades, and have a new, grippier receptacle.

Elad Repooc

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 23, 2020
Pacific Northwest
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
The short answer is - absolutely. I carry a mains outlet tester with me if performing any type of installation work for any electronics, because there have been many times I have run into improperly wired receptacles. This can not only affect the performance of audio equipment, but also pretty much any electrical device.

Another thing to pay attention to is that the mains receptacle is rated for the amperage of the circuit, and that the proper gauge wire has been installed for the amperage of the circuit. I have seen "audiophiles" replace mains outlets with "20A" capable components while ignoring the fact that the copper they are running from the breaker panel to the outlet is not rated for a 20A load, or worse, the circuit itself is only 15A. This can be a safety hazard were someone to inadvertently actually connect a device that uses 20A current.

And, I've seen very poorly made mains receptacles which have loose grip on the mains lead tines, these should be replaced with something that offers a secure grip, as @Jail4CEOs2 mentions above.

As far as how specific receptacles affect sound quality, I can't say I've done much comparison because a comparison is extremely difficult to perform. I would err on the side of following electrical code with high quality and properly implemented parts for the circuit in question, without paying much attention to audiophile marketing hype.

Paulssurround

Space Explorer
Wammer
Oct 11, 2018
Vancouver
AKA
Paul
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I agree that mains sockets can provide an improvement in sound quality.

I started my journey with basic mains sockets which cost $1.50, probably purchased at a big box building supply store.

Then I replaced that with a hospital grade plug, to get a better grip on the mains leads. I don’t recall much if any improvement in sound quality, but it was a much higher quality component, for around $25.

For the last 10 years or so, I have been using a Shunyata ZR71 duplex receptacle which I recall was around $100. This provided a modest improvement in sound quality.

Next on my list will be a new Cardas Clear duplex receptacle, for better grip and electrical conductivity. Having just discovered the world of Cardas products, it would not surprise me if there was a notable improvement in sound quality.

Reactions: Benfield and pirov

entdgc

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 9, 2018
Congleton, England
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
In the UK I would recommend MK sockets. Not that I am saying they improve sound quality - that is for you to judge - but they are of a higher build quality. That said I have noticed a lowering of quality in all electrical mains components (including MK) in recent years as they chase each other to the bottom! I have never seen/used hospital grade components but if they are as good as people say they would be worth a punt but it just seems incongruous that we are upgrading sockets and then (most of us) are using cheaper multi sockets extension leads as these are supposed to sound better...

Newton John

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 13, 2018
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
In the UK I would recommend MK sockets. Not that I am saying they improve sound quality - that is for you to judge - but they are of a higher build quality. That said I have noticed a lowering of quality in all electrical mains components (including MK) in recent years as they chase each other to the bottom! I have never seen/used hospital grade components but if they are as good as people say they would be worth a punt but it just seems incongruous that we are upgrading sockets and then (most of us) are using cheaper multi sockets extension leads as these are supposed to sound better...
Maybe, I'm being overly fussy here, but I prefer to avoid multi socket extension leads. It's easy enougn to get an electrician to fit extra wall sockets. It seems to make sense to try to keep the tangle of cables to a minimum.

Chetys

Wammer
Mar 22, 2022
UK
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I have found plugging my gear into wall sockets sound better than any extension lead. Also, plugging them into different wall sockets, some sound better than other wall sockets. All sockets are the same type & age & next to each other! Try explaining that logic to the wife when you are spending time doing that & conducting serious AB comparisons! I have paid electricians to fit additional wall sockets rather than use an extension lead...

entdgc

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 9, 2018
Congleton, England
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Another job on the list - replace my double socket and extension lead with new wall sockets. I have a few MK triple sockets that I reclaimed when we moved house so I will use them.

So just throwing another spanner in the works - which sound better switched or unswitched sockets? (retires to a safe distance)

Reactions: Imseti

Imseti

Menmaatre Seti I
Wammer Plus
Feb 16, 2022
Gloucestershire
AKA
Seti I
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Another job on the list - replace my double socket and extension lead with new wall sockets. I have a few MK triple sockets that I reclaimed when we moved house so I will use them.

So just throwing another spanner in the works - which sound better switched or unswitched sockets? (retires to a safe distance)
Always use unswitched good sockets (like MK).

Unswitched has been recommended by all my dealers and their employees for around 40 years since I entered top-end Hi-Fi.

I don't think you'll get many disagree with you or I about this - the switch is just yet another source of poor contact/connectivity and therefore degrades the sound, although it will be very minor indeed.

pirov

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 25, 2018
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I have found plugging my gear into wall sockets sound better than any extension lead. Also, plugging them into different wall sockets, some sound better than other wall sockets. All sockets are the same type & age & next to each other! Try explaining that logic to the wife when you are spending time doing that & conducting serious AB comparisons! I have paid electricians to fit additional wall sockets rather than use an extension lead...
'I'm just listening to these new wall sockets ... '

Chetys

Wammer
Mar 22, 2022
UK
HiFi Trade?
  1. No

I think only people as passionate (nice word, lots of other words people close to me regards HiFi would call me far worse ) would even ask such a question! I have not tried switched or unswitched sockets. All mine are switched. I prefer to have the choice to switch off at socket, but Imseti has replied with relevant advice.

Nopiano

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 19, 2016
Monmouthshire, Wales
AKA
Nick
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I don’t have strong views here, nor have I compared extensively, but makers of extension blocks often make a potentially important claim. They usually mention star earthing, or other benefits due to constructing the whole shebang in a uniform fashion.

For some decades I attached the power or integrated amp direct to the wall socket, and sources to a power block. But for five years I’ve used one power block with 6 or 8 outlets for everything.

Reactions: ThomasOK

hashluck

Wammer
Jan 9, 2022
United Kingdom
www.rlaliquemascots.com
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I read somewhere that many power amp designs can put noise back into the mains whish is why often you will see advice to connect those separately and on different spurs where possible. I note a Linn claim that their SWPS power amps have a much lower impact on the mains and that alone will improve the sound in many systems!

Reactions: Paulssurround

Paulssurround

Space Explorer
Wammer
Oct 11, 2018
Vancouver
AKA
Paul
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I read somewhere that many power amp designs can put noise back into the mains whish is why often you will see advice to connect those separately and on different spurs where possible. I note a Linn claim that their SWPS power amps have a much lower impact on the mains and that alone will improve the sound in many systems!
I have an AC noise sniffer and can confirm that Linn’s SMPS’s do not add much if any noise back into the mains according to my measurements.

However, I can confirm that the SMPS’s themselves do create EMI and high frequency noise that can effect circuit boards inside the Linn cabinets, which does effect the sound quality.

IMHO, this is one of the reasons why the Klimax casework has compartmentalized their internal electronics, physically separating the SMPS from the circuit boards internally and effectively reduces the interference.

I can also confirm that many other pieces of electronics do create a lot of noise back into the mains that can effect the sound quality.

I always make sure that I never use a power bar that has noisy non-audio components plugged into it, by separating the TV, HD Box and other components from the audio components, into their own power bar.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chetys and hashluck

HH2010

Linn tune exile
Wammer
Oct 11, 2018
Hamburg
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Unfortunately (As a physicist I need to add that, because it does not fit into a physicist's worldview) there are substancial sound and tune differences between wall sockets.
With some afficinados we tried three different sockets, symmetrically connected to the lines at the same time and just replugging the one plug of the power distributor (Music Line Powerigel). Everybody coming back into the room was able to immediately tell the socket running. And everybody described the sound differences in a similar way.
(Klimax/242 System)

ThomasOK

LP12 Whisperer, Lejonklou importer
Wammer
Oct 19, 2018
Westland, MI USA
AKA
Thomas O'Keefe
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Certainly a physicist's worldview is subject to change to accept new findings?!

HH2010

Linn tune exile
Wammer
Oct 11, 2018
Hamburg
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Certainly a physicist's worldview is subject to change to accept new findings?!
I'd define the scope of physics as those human interactions with natural phenomenons that can be predicted by a system of formulas and numbers without any fail so far, which is basically the definition of science by Mr. Popper.
As Mr. Goedel already prooved formally that every formal model is not complete, physicists know - by proove within their systems - that there's something in the world, or in human reception at least, that is not covered by physics.

And before some esotherics start to believe they have gained anything: I tend to to join Mr. Feynman, physicist and nobel prize winner, in his position, that it is meaningless to discuss topics like these with people that have not studied advanced mathematics, because they have not seen the beauty of nature. Critics, who think, the world of physicists is somewhat small, need to understand, that physicists do see and can describe aspects of the world reaching far out to the borders of human understanding, that most people never have seen.

In this, Feynman was kind of an arrogant smartass. :D

But he also states: “Physics isn't the most important thing. Love is.”

And I do love my system adressing music qualities better beeing hooked up to the 'right' wallbox. :D

To answer the question:

Yes, physicists do know - as in prooved, not as in believed -that physics do not describe all aspects or 'dimensions' of the world. With my last post I just played with the common prejudice.

Last edited:
Reactions: ThomasOK

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles