Do the mains Magic boxes work

Huntergatherer

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 6, 2009
Old Welwyn,
AKA
Trefor
Ok as you can tell from the above I'm a true audiophile who understands nothing about the technical stuff.

Just wondered if anyone has tried those magic boxes ( whatever they might be called) that plug between the wall sockets and your kit and are supposed to improve sound delivery ?

David Pinnegar

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 26, 2010
:) One only needs to improve power delivery from a 30amp - that's 7kW - ring main if your amplifier wants to draw spikes exceeding 30amps, 7kW, from the mains . . .

A good reason to go for high efficiency speakers from which perfect sound can be enjoyed domestically at 1/2 watt or less and 1W or 5W becomes deafening!

Best wishes

David P

Huntergatherer

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 6, 2009
Old Welwyn,
AKA
Trefor
Good name, I think I've heard of that one.

- - - Updated - - -

Mate, you really should use the search function - this subject comes up roughly every quarter and causes nearly as many flame-wars as cables... :sofa: What will now happen is roughly 50% of respondents will tell you it's all foo and that a properly designed PSU will be immune to all mains interference or that there's no such thing as mains interference.

The other 50% will tell you how mains filters/regens changed their lives, their hair grew back, the penises grew an inch, etc. etc.

The truth is as usual roughly halfway between the two, and depends on your kit and how bad your mains is.

Try and get a home demo - then you can make an informed decision before splashing the cash. :^

:run:
Search Function ? No wonder I know so little

julian2002

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 15, 2005
Lakeside Wixams
AKA
Julian
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Try and get a home demo - then you can make an informed decision before splashing the cash. :^
in the end the answer to all hi-fi questions is this.

shut the wam, it's all over, nothing to see here, move along...

Huntergatherer

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 6, 2009
Old Welwyn,
AKA
Trefor
in the end the answer to all hi-fi questions is this.shut the wam, it's all over, nothing to see here, move along...
Indeed yes, Easier to make use of wammers time freely given than waste dealers expensive time

rabski

Everything in moderation
Staff member
Dec 2, 2006
Kettering
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Indeed yes, Easier to make use of wammers time freely given than waste dealers expensive time
That deserves to go in the cockpunch thread for so many reasons.

Huntergatherer

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 6, 2009
Old Welwyn,
AKA
Trefor
Well I'm glad I made somebody smile.

Apologies for my earlier remarks although intending to be taken as humerous it seems as if they have caused offence.

vacdac

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 19, 2011
Manchester
AKA
Chris
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Lol Tref, don't think you've ruffled any feathers really, it all seems rather mirthful. :^

How Ya doin' BTW? All good I hope.

BR

Chris. :)

Well I'm glad I made somebody smile.Apologies for my earlier remarks although intending to be taken as humerous it seems as if they have caused offence.

Diapason

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 6, 2012
Dublin
AKA
Simon
25 deg C here over the weekend... :whistle:

Anyway, I have an AG1500, and while I can't report any advances in the trouser department, I sleep easier in my bed knowing that my hifi sees a constant 230V. I think it made a positive difference, but then again I think that about many things which are almost certainly imagined, so YMMV.

Huntergatherer

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 6, 2009
Old Welwyn,
AKA
Trefor
Dunno about offence, but certainly most of us don't charge for our time! Sure we're not always the cheapest place to buy stuff, but we can save you wasting your valuable time, and from buying a duffer that ends up costing you money as well... ;-)
It Wasn't about dealers charging for time, it was about me wasting anyone's valuable time trying to make a living in the world of audio retail , when I hadn't got a clue what I was looking for.

So the concept was to ask for points of view from others to fill in my lack of knowledge with a bit of informed comment.

Also not intending to deride wammers in any way,as I think we all enjoy the chance to share our experiences with anyone who cares to view.

M

MJ.

25 deg c here over the weekend... :whistle: Anyway, i have an ag1500, and while i can't report any advances in the trouser department, i sleep easier in my bed knowing that my hifi sees a constant 230v. I think it made a positive difference, but then again i think that about many things which are almost certainly imagined, so ymmv.
230v ?

C

Crazytrain

The other 50% will tell you how mains filters/regens changed their lives, their hair grew back, the penises grew an inch, etc.
I'm buying one if it makes your hair grow back :^

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Today's Birthdays

Latest Articles