Wammer
Wammer
Apr 7, 2006
Canaries, , Spain
AKA
Chris
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I have always had a dodgy centre image with my set-up - definitely left biased - No balance control on my amp (Sugden A21SE). I have just got my new DIY WD25TEx floorstanders finished and found that the situation persists as expected. This change in speakers and endless checking of anti-skating would seem to confirm that the room or decor or both are perhaps the problem.

Anyway I am waiting for the bass drivers to run-in a bit and played a Red Garland LP this morning and the bass and the piano were both very hard left which pissed me off no end. Then I realised this is a Mono recording (I think) and that nothing should sound hard left or right for that matter so by pulling the right hand speaker towards the listening position by about 6 inches I was able to centre the image so that everything was in the centre. Although the resulting speaker positioning is obviously assymetrical might this be a simpleton´s guide to finding a way round my problem. Have I discovered America after all these years ?

Who Cares?

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 22, 2012
How long here? Have you not read and understood that positioning in room is a very important factor.

It might help if you described your listening room because it, perhaps, has some factor that would influence the situation you describe.

I'm not meaning to criticise but speaker positioning is a fundamental thing.

michaelgb

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 3, 2011
kilkenny, Ireland
AKA
Michael
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I take it you've tested rewiring by swapping left for right at the amp end ? Still the left side is louder ?

I had a similar problem in a room once which emphasised the right side to be louder, was glad I had a mono switch and balance control on my amp,,

I wonder would an acoustic panel strategically placed cure your problem.

Clubsport911

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 19, 2013
Cheltenham
AKA
Steve
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
This can easily happen through no fault of your own. Imagine that every single component in your hifi chain has a very slight difference in the absolute gain.

Now imagine that because of random chance all of the differences happen to occur on the same channel then the result will be an accumulation of gain differentials making one channel much louder than the other.

By substitution through the entire chain, you could find a better balance by swapping lefts and rights (of course, the absolute left and right may be incorrect when you have finished)

JANDL100

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Dec 5, 2006
Forest of Dean, Glos
AKA
Jerry
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Has it really taken you so long to adjust the speaker positions to get a proper stereo image? :dunno:

Amazing, really. :doh:

:D

Alvolake

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 7, 2006
Canaries, , Spain
AKA
Chris
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
No, and I still don´t have a proper stereo image if proper means the lead singer is perfectly centred or the first violin is just to the left of where the conductor is supposed to be etc. etc.. I can only speak of my own experience and taking into account that I don´t live alone the question of perfect speaker positioning is not the first priority and neither are wall and floor coverings so I don´t contemplate positioning bass traps or acoustic panels to improve things - they would be non-negotiable - I guess I should at least have made sure my amp had a balance control. The thing I was going on about was how even a mono recording does not sound mono in my room. I even suspect that my dodgy central image is also frequency dependent i.e. mid-his are probably better centred while bass is not. But I just have to live with that and not worry too much. Of course if I can improve things in any way just by sliding one of my speakers 6 inches further into the room then so be it but after a listening session it will go back against the wall. Maybe I would be better off with just one speaker ..... or just use phones.

awkwardbydesign

Perfect, apparently.
Wammer
Mar 5, 2012
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
No, and I still don´t have a proper stereo image... The thing I was going on about was how even a mono recording does not sound mono in my room.
Maybe a silly question, but have you checked speaker phase? Lack of solid image can sometimes be speakers out of phase. If you haven't already done it, try swapping the leads on one speaker.

vacdac

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 19, 2011
Manchester
AKA
Chris
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
:^ Yeah Dick.........a couple of weeks back when my new power amp arrived I subbed in some temporary speaker cable from my bedroom system & although they were already terminated at the speaker end they were bare wire on the amp end. I terminated the right sided speaker cable t' wrong way round at the amp end (no +/- markings although one conductor did have company logo's on it) so one speaker wuz out of phase with t'other. Soon sussed it out the next day as the imaging seemed clearly off & it seemed to sound sucked out & lifeless with a lack of punch & dynamics too. Course I had a visit from another wammer too that day:oops: can't say he spotted it either:dunno: possibly he's too polite......but my setup sounds a lot better than you heard that day Paul.........honest!!! :)

:doh: :doh: :doh:

BR

Chris. :D

Jelly Tussle

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 1, 2013
At the risk of sounding very stupid (which I frequently do… :dunno: ) could this effect not be accounted for by the possibility your hearing is very slightly worse in one ear than the other?

And I mean so slightly: that you are only aware of this when listening critically and not during normal day to do conversation.

If you rule out all the other possibilities; it may be worth getting your hearing checked just in case.

themadlatvian

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 28, 2008
Huddersfield
AKA
John
At the risk of sounding very stupid (which I frequently do… :dunno: ) could this effect not be accounted for by the possibility your hearing is very slightly worse in one ear than the other?And I mean so slightly: that you are only aware of this when listening critically and not during normal day to do conversation.

If you rule out all the other possibilities; it may be worth getting your hearing checked just in case.
It's not so stupid - I had a build-up of wax earlier this year which caused me to be unable to hear proper stereo until I sorted it out - it always seemed biased to the left!

You might just need one or both ears syringing.

:^

awkwardbydesign

Perfect, apparently.
Wammer
Mar 5, 2012
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Turn your back to the stereo and listen. Also listen the normal way round with your eyes shut; it's surprising how visual clues can alter your hearing.

Alvolake

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 7, 2006
Canaries, , Spain
AKA
Chris
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Thanks Gents for all your input but this has always been so after 20 odd years - (4 sets of speakers: HB2s, Arros, Wd20T and now WD25Tex - 3amps all Sugdens, Linto now Norton, Ittok LVIII now rewired, Super Elys, denon 103Pro, Esco Troika, Black Cube and now Salas fed Piccolo/P10 combo I don´t worry too much. I´m pretty sure it´s down to my room/decor. 7m wide - Full wall window overlooking the bay on the left and a floor to ceiling mirror on the right. Hard parquet floor, Speakers firing across (4m) so my listening seat is pretty well back against the rear wall. Off centre acrylic/glass coffee table. Yes, It´s got everything going for it.

I only mentioned it because I realised my red Garland was mono - it´s the only mono in my collection - but doesn´t sound mono so if I manage to make it sound mono by just playing around slightly with my speaker positioning I might be on the right (easy) trail.

Again, thanks for your concern ( and my hearing).

Chris

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Today's Birthdays

Latest Articles

Wammers Online