Doing the decent thing

MVJ

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Apr 9, 2020
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I did read it.
I'm asking how this works in detail. That's not being a 'barrack room lawyer'.
Oh & by the way no one mentioned a wam Guarantee this is how the members of the wam look after each other.

Have you bought anything on the wam since you joined in 2009 & did you read the T&C's that tells you everything you need to know??👌🏻

russell2010

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 3, 2010
Barnet
AKA
Russell
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Do NOT go down the route of offering to pay for repairs/inspections etc. I got sucked into this a few years back and after paying for an inspection on the (perfectly working) amplifier I sold that the buyer said had gone faulty after about 5 weeks, and the results were "inconclusive - probably an intermittent fault".

I eventually collected the amp after eBay automatically refunded the buyer and when I got it back, not only was it filthy but I discovered he'd stolen some parts from inside it.
Indeed. Where would this end? What if the amp "develops a fault" next week? Vintage CD players are prone to failure and skipping - I would take this into account if I were the buyer and would never dream of bothering the seller afterwards even if the thing had smoke coming out of it. Once it's sold you have no further responsibility.

Reactions: bigrod

It Cost How Much!?!

Twisted
Wammer
Oct 27, 2008
Hartford, Cheshire
AKA
Bob
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
When you buy a new CD player from a dealer for £1500 you expect a year at least back-up. When you buy the same CD player 10 years later for £300, expect no back-up, test on site and you are probably on your own. That is why it's £300, as risk is factored in.

Reactions: bigrod

tackleberry

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 28, 2010
Leeds..ish
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
None of this is difficult, we’re all adults.
1. Don’t lie about what your selling
2. Don’t try it on (and expect the seller is a moron) when you’re buying.

Reactions: bigrod and Steveh

rockmeister

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 24, 2005
Scotland
AKA
John
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Wow. Am I understanding correctly?
'.........treat it as a proper job and do what is legally right.'
Legally, a private seller has no obligations whatsoever.
You seem to be suggesting that a buyer can threaten and intimidate a private seller for a discount.

It is becoming quite clear that the idea people had a few years back that you could buy hifi to try, and sell it on if it doesn't suit, has gone right out of the window. The world is rapidly changing, everyone is a victim.
Selling your unwanted hifi is now becoming a minefield.
Sellers will now have to price the same as a dealer to cover any potential future claims.

How many people suggested that seller should pay a percentage of repair cost, or buy the CD player back?
Everything is suddenly looking very different.

When I used to buy vintage equipment I always had the attitude that I would be sending it straight off for a service. A Quad 6 system is 30 years old.

Just to clarify, this is different from buying online. The buyer personally inspected the goods.
wow
no you are misunderstanding completely.
What is legally right, means, what is legally right.

So if a private seller has no obligations whatsoever, then his legal 'right' is to do nothing at all isn't it. If he chooses.

LSPC

LSPC
Wammer
Sep 19, 2020
Poole,Dorset
AKA
Lee.
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Personally I think he has no recourse to complain you demonstrated it all working and he took it unpacked(anything could have happened to it once he's left ). So it's now his problem if your conscience is clear that there were no problems with it when you sold it ...end of story .If he is still unhappy send him phone card and tell him the call someone who gives a #### :unsure: It's used electronic's sorry but if you want warranty buy new .

t1no

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 22, 2014
North West
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
When I have sold a couple of collection only items in the past of significant value, I always ask the buyer to sign and date a receipt (one copy for them and one for me) to say that they have inspected / tested the items and are happy to pay and take them away. I record the serial numbers for good measure. It's my only recourse if things do go wrong after the event.

tackleberry

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 28, 2010
Leeds..ish
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
You never know, the last piece of faulty gear was from a well known seller at the audio jumble, had wrong components and went with a pop as soon as I got it home.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.