Don't update Roon to 2.0.3 if on a QNAP NAS

quinn_t

Wammer
Wammer
May 21, 2022
San Francisco
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Maybe something else with your home network, I've upgraded this morning to Roon 2.0.3, Roon Remote, Roon ARC on my various devices, including iPads, iPhones, a number of Macs, Windows laptops, desktops, everything works just fine.

Btw, I forbid Airplay in my household.

Reactions: maddog_007

Solanum

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 9, 2018
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Maybe something else with your home network, I've upgraded this morning to Roon 2.0.3, Roon Remote, Roon ARC on my various devices, including iPads, iPhones, a number of Macs, Windows laptops, desktops, everything works just fine.
Nah, multiple reports and no changes to the network. The changelog states that they have worked on the Linn connection - they've clearly stuffed something up.

Btw, I forbid Airplay in my household.
Don't blame you - unfortunately it is the only way I have to access some devices with Roon so for convenience I use it...

Last edited:

quinn_t

Wammer
Wammer
May 21, 2022
San Francisco
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
On the Linn Kazoo, did you check your network settings? I myself have several subnets (for work purposes) in my home and sometimes the Linn Kazoo or Linn App picks up a wrong subnet. If the Roon Sever and your Linn DSM are on different subnets, then Roon cannot discover your streamer.

Sometimes, one has some obscure subnets in the home intentionally.

Solanum

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 9, 2018
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
On the Linn Kazoo, did you check your network settings? I myself have several subnets (for work purposes) in my home and sometimes the Linn Kazoo or Linn App picks up a wrong subnet.
The option to select a Linn subnet has gone from Roon (likely the problem) . Not sure what you mean with Kazoo....? You can't control Roon from there (plus subnet device is on hasn't changed).

quinn_t

Wammer
Wammer
May 21, 2022
San Francisco
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
No, it's still here, for example on my Linn App on my iPhone. Make sure your Linn streamer's current network the same as the Roon Server's:

Screenshot 2022-11-08 at 10.44.59 PM.jpg

Solanum

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 9, 2018
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
No, it's still here, for example on my Linn App on my iPhone. Make sure your Linn streamer's current network the same as the Roon Server's:
No, it's gone from Roon, not the Linn App/Kazoo. I only have one subnet and I can access my DSM via airplay (from Roon) and I already checked the DSM is accessible through the network.

It's the same from IOS and Android as well BTW.

BTW, in case I appear churlish because I'm grumpy about this, I do appreciate you making the effort to assist. It must be a problem with the Roon update though, whatever they have changed in the Linn access code has bumped at least some devices.

quinn_t

Wammer
Wammer
May 21, 2022
San Francisco
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
No, it's gone from Roon, not the Linn App/Kazoo. I only have one subnet and I can access my DSM via airplay (from Roon) and I already checked the DSM is accessible through the network.

It's the same from IOS and Android as well BTW.

BTW, in case I appear churlish because I'm grumpy about this, I do appreciate you making the effort to assist. It must be a problem with the Roon update though, whatever they have changed in the Linn access code has bumped at least some devices.
No, it has nothing to do with Roon, as said, make sure the your Linn streamer is on the same network subnet as Roon's, then Roon server will automatically discover your streamer via some multicast discovery method.

Just double confirm that they both on the same subnet, if they are, then I would blame Roon.

Solanum

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 9, 2018
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
No, it has nothing to do with Roon, as said, make sure the your Linn streamer is on the same network subnet as Roon's, then Roon server will automatically discover your streamer via some multicast discovery method.
Of course it is to do with Roon. Updating the Roon server from 2.0 to 2.0.3 has resulted in Linn devices disappearing from Roon, but accessible as normal with all other apps and remain visible on the network. In my case, everything bar the modem - which is bridged to my router - is on the same subnet (both the DSM and the NAS on which Roon server sits are on the same subnet). Neither the subnet nor the IP address of the DSM or the NAS have changed (in my case at least).

It is no longer possible to select a subnet from the Roon app (my guess is, as you suggest, Roon is indeed defaulting to the wrong - nonexistant - subnet instead of the one the server is on, but it can't be specified to the correct one via the Roon app any more).

There are multiple reports of this and the update was only rolled out a few hours ago.

quinn_t

Wammer
Wammer
May 21, 2022
San Francisco
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
It is no longer possible to select a subnet from the Roon app (my guess is, as you suggest, Roon is indeed defaulting to the wrong - nonexistant - subnet instead of the one the server is on, but it can't be specified to the correct one via the Roon app any more).

There are multiple reports of this and the update was only rolled out a few hours ago.
What Linn streamer do you have? It works fine my NG Klimax DSM/3 (Organik).

If Roon shows a wrong IP of your own streamer and you are sure that the Roon Core / Roon Serve and your streamer on the same subnet, then obviously it is a bug. How could Roon pick a wrong subnet if it is "not" on it?

Did you try to disable it from the Roon Audio settings, and re-enable it?

Last edited:

Solanum

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 9, 2018
HiFi Trade?
  1. No

If Roon shows a wrong IP of your own streamer and you are sure that the Roon Core / Roon Serve and your streamer on the same subnet, then obviously it is a bug. How could Roon picks a wrong subnet if it is "not" on it?

Did you try to delete it from the Roon Audio settings, and re-add it?
It's an ADSM, others have reported Akurate, Majik and Sneaky DSMs not being accessible - there is a report of Selekt being OK however.

There is nothing to delete from the settings in Roon, it's all automatic.

I don't know why Roon used to pick the wrong subnets for Linn, but presumably that is why they had a manual setting to change it in the Roon settings (which is no longer present).

One thing I note is that the other posters talk about NAS, as do I. I wonder if it is an interaction between the new Roon server version and Roon4NAS? That would explain why it is only some users and eprhaps why it got through.

I don't suppose you have a Nucleus or the like, rather than running of a NAS?

quinn_t

Wammer
Wammer
May 21, 2022
San Francisco
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
It's an ADSM, others have reported Akurate, Majik and Sneaky DSMs not being accessible - there is a report of Selekt being OK however.

There is nothing to delete from the settings in Roon, it's all automatic.

I don't know why Roon used to pick the wrong subnets for Linn, but presumably that is why they had a manual setting to change it in the Roon settings (which is no longer present).

One thing I note is that the other posters talk about NAS, as do I. I wonder if it is an interaction between the new Roon server version and Roon4NAS? That would explain why it is only some users and eprhaps why it got through.

I don't suppose you have a Nucleus or the like, rather than running of a NAS?

I have a Nucleus.
Please note that both my streamer and Roon are on the same subnet (192.168.86.0) as shown in the following image, and all are working fine:

1667978673655.png

MickC

Expert Thread Disruptor
Wammer
Oct 8, 2018
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Seem to be a few folk on that thread with the same issue. No problems here (yet!)…
Wonder why only some experience it? I’m on the ‘early access’ strand so have been using the latest version of Roon for some days. All seems fine on both systems (KDS and MDSM) - both running ROCK on 8i5 NUCs.
As has been suggested above, could it be to do with the way the core is run - ROCK/QNAP/Windows/Mac etc.?

Mick

Solanum

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 9, 2018
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I have a Nucleus.
Please note that both my streamer and Roon are on the same subnet (192.168.86.0) as shown in the following image, and all are working fine:

1667978673655.png
1667978843666.png
1667978877777.png

Be interesting to hear if others using a NAS (and Roon4NAS) + Akurate/Majik, don't have problems with 2.0.3.

quinn_t

Wammer
Wammer
May 21, 2022
San Francisco
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
1667978843666.png
1667978877777.png

What linn streamer's IP address does it show on the Roon Audio settings? Seems like both your NAS and AEDSM are on the same 192.168.0.0 subnet.

Last edited:

Solanum

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 9, 2018
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Seem to be a few folk on that thread with the same issue. No problems here (yet!)…
Wonder why only some experience it? I’m on the ‘early access’ strand so have been using the latest version of Roon for some days. All seems fine on both systems (KDS and MDSM) - both running ROCK on 8i5 NUCs.
As has been suggested above, could it be to do with the way the core is run - ROCK/QNAP/Windows/Mac etc.?

Mick
OK, I just stuck Roon Server on a Windows PC, the Linn subnet setting now appears in the control point (was set to 178.x.x.x!!!!! No idea why it defaults to that), when set to the correct subnet it now sees the DSM properly (not just via Airplay).

Looks like this might be a NAS/Roon interaction.

Reactions: MickC

Solanum

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 9, 2018
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
OK, I just stuck Roon Server on a Windows PC, the Linn subnet setting now appears in the control point (was set to 178.x.x.x!!!!! No idea why it defaults to that), when set to the correct subnet it now sees the DSM properly (not just via Airplay).

Looks like this might be a NAS/Roon interaction.
In fact, with more posts in the original Roon Community thread it seems to definitely be a problem with the QNAP NAS implementation and 2.0.3 (and nothing to do with the subnet setting, which is actually still in place on the server). Synology seems OK.

You have been warned....!

Meanwhile those of us with QNAP that have already updated start a waiting process....

Billz

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Oct 11, 2018
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I have just seen this thread and checked Roon and guess what. No ADSM available. It is not listed at all in the Audio Setting. It was working fine last night. I don't remember updating Roon but maybe I have auto-updates enabled. I also have a QNAP. Let's hope this is sorted very soon.

MickC

Expert Thread Disruptor
Wammer
Oct 8, 2018
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I do feel for those with issues. It does pretty much seem to be the QNAP/Linn combo with Roon that’s doing it. Fingers crossed the Roon folk can sort it quickly.

Reactions: Billz

quinn_t

Wammer
Wammer
May 21, 2022
San Francisco
HiFi Trade?
  1. No

If Roon shows a wrong IP of your own streamer and you are sure that the Roon Core / Roon Serve and your streamer on the same subnet, then obviously it is a bug. How could Roon pick a wrong subnet if it is "not" on it?

Did you try to disable it from the Roon Audio settings, and re-enable it?
OK, now the dust has settled, so it seems it is a Roon bug, specially impacts the QNAP NAS.

It does not seem as dramatic as the (original) thread title suggests, now the thread title has been properly / appropriately corrected to only QNAP NAS devices, which are affected. However, I must say it is still a serious problem.

Btw, I used to use QNAP NAS, but then I switched to the Nucleus, with an accidental benefit, a huge jump in SQ.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online