Dummy question: connecting speaker cables correctly

abjack1

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 25, 2013
Sheffield
OK, it is slowly dawning on me that I might have connected my cables to my speakers wrongly ...

It's a pair of B&W DM601 S2's, with bi-wire terminals. There's a brassy-looking plate running under each pair of terminals, top one to bottom one ... I'm guessing that these are the bridges, rather than some other design thingy?

So, assuming they are the bridges, and I'm not bi-wiring them, does it make a difference if I connect the cable to the bottom two terminals or the top two?

And if I were to bi-wire in future, I'd need to remove these bridge-plates ..?

Picture at this link:

http://pic5.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/image?spkrfull&1312329808&pic&class&i/c/f/1307145120.jpg&B:W-Bowers-:-Wilkins-b:w-dm601-s2

Andy

Eggie

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 27, 2008
Braintree Essex
AKA
Martin
yes when you are ready to bi-wire remove the links. As for now try putting the negative (black) bottom left and the positive (red) top right. Thats what I have done in the past without any issues.

johnniebaby

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 11, 2006
Midlands
AKA
John
yes when you are ready to bi-wire remove the links. As for now try putting the negative (black) bottom left and the positive (red) top right. Thats what I have done in the past without any issues.
Why?

Pussycat

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 9, 2008
Norwich
AKA
Mike
Not sure why, as both terminals are common with the jumpers in place. Just make sure that the speaker cables are correctly inserted L-L, R-R on both speakers, assuming your cables are correctly terminated at the amp. end. Shouldn't matter which you choose as neg. and pos., as long as both speaker cables are the same; otherwise you'll be out of phase.

68rednose

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 11, 2013
Mainland Europe
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I also was thinking why ?
Was thinking as well, ehm...why?

To answer OP:

- NOT biwiring: No, it doesn't matter, either upper or lower terminals will be fine.

Never thought of 'cross terminating' as described above

- Biwiring (or bi-amping): remove the bridges.

Save the bridges in a place where you can find them (in case you sell the speakers or want to single wire).

abjack1

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 25, 2013
Sheffield
Grand, thanks all ... had a brief attack of audio paranoia ... seeing them connected to the top set suddenly made me wonder whether they should be on the bottom set. I'm Red-to-Red and Black-to-Black all right.

A

Tel

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 13, 2006
Hove Actually
AKA
Kevin
No it doesn't make any difference, and don't waste any money trying bi-wiring, the only benefit is to the person selling the cables.

struth

Wammer
Wammer
Feb 14, 2013
W Lothian
AKA
Grant
Not sure why, as both terminals are common with the jumpers in place. Just make sure that the speaker cables are correctly inserted L-L, R-R on both speakers, assuming your cables are correctly terminated at the amp. end. Shouldn't matter which you choose as neg. and pos., as long as both speaker cables are the same; otherwise you'll be out of phase.
not as mad as it sounds as it keeps the wires as far away as possible from each other

Tel

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 13, 2006
Hove Actually
AKA
Kevin
On the basis that you never ever connect or disconnect speakers with the amp powered up it doesn't really matter

awkwardbydesign

Perfect, apparently.
Wammer
Mar 5, 2012
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Ah, you say that, but what if the jumpers are poor quality? You could end up with crap HF and fantastic LF, or the other way round. What kind of music does he listen to? If reggae, cables to the bottom. Female vocals, cables to the top.

Of course, corner to corner will average it out, just be careful which corners you choose! :nerves:

Beobloke

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 29, 2005
AKA
Adam
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
You should always use the top terminals if the bi-wire links are in place.

This is because the signal that then needs to go to the bottom terminals has gravity on its side and can leap down to them in a sprightly manner. On the other hand, if you plug into the bottom terminals, then the signal has to climb up the jumpers to reach the top terminals and will be tired by the time it gets there, particularly if the jumpers are nice and shiny and smooth. Obviously if you roughen up their surface with some sandpaper this will give the signal more grip, but it's still much nicer to it to just stick it in at the top and make its life easier.

• Upvote
Reactions: johnniebaby

awkwardbydesign

Perfect, apparently.
Wammer
Mar 5, 2012
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
:^ :^

But sensibly (!), bi wiring has no advantages, although changing the brass jumpers to something better, or at least something that makes better contact, MIGHT make some difference.

Bi amping can make a difference, but that's a whole different game.

And NOTHING helps with audio paranoia; it's too late now.

images

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Louis_067