Dynaudio Contour 1.8 gone for a song?

TIU

Artist and daft as a brush
Wammer Plus
Dec 17, 2005
11,726
4,419
208
Birmingham
AKA
Gary
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Just one bid gets these for less then 25% of RRP. They went for £450 on eBay. New price was £1895. Worth a trip to SE London I think as it was local pick up only. The marks to the real wood cabinets where the grilles had been were probably easily removed. Have they sold too cheaply?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5852955934&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

[edit] These speakers were Craig's topic first in the Private Classifieds section - he brought them to my attention - he's sobbing now.
shock.gif.7732780fe7e208b945ce79ca96402fca.gif


 

cjr

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 8, 2005
8,561
45
0
UK
Ive seen a couple of pairs of 1.8 MkIIs go for £599 normal ex-dem was between £1000-1400. At that price (sub £600)they are a bargain considering their driver array. £450 is a ridiculous bargain for someone.

 

Jezzer

Passionate
Wammer Plus
Jul 31, 2005
9,808
1,187
193
Uxbridge
AKA
Jezzer
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
The trouble with the 1.8's is that they need space and serious amplification to sound their best.

Still, £450 is a wicked price!

 

ErikFH

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 2, 2005
3,100
5
0
Netherlands
AKA
Erik
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Jezzer wrote:

The trouble with the 1.8's is that they need space and serious amplification to sound their best.Still, £450 is a wicked price!
Seconded.

Note that these are the original 1.8. 1.8 MKII got released in 1998 so they must be older than that.

 

Craig

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
6,368
316
128
Copenhagen
AKA
Craig
ErikfH wrote:

Note that these are the original 1.8. 1.8 MKII got released in 1998 so they must be older than that.
Hi Erik

I am gonna take solace in that fact.

I probably have not got the power to drive em, but have fancieda pair for a while. Next month

 

ErikFH

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 2, 2005
3,100
5
0
Netherlands
AKA
Erik
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Craig wrote:

Hi ErikI am gonna take solace in that fact.

I probably have not got the power to drive em, but have fancieda pair for a while. Next month
smile.png


Still £450 is a good price (think this retailed for a few hunderd quid less than the MKII) if they're technically flawless.

They like/need power, but The Stratsays heachieves good results in driving his MKII's throughan Arcam A85.

Too bad youhad to give upthe MF setand Dyn's. Wat that sax a bit of luck that youwent for it?

 

Craig

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
6,368
316
128
Copenhagen
AKA
Craig
Have not given up the Dyn's, Erik, just the MF kit ........ And have anew amp

And yes, a new sax (well, it's from 77)

 

The Strat

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 17, 2005
14,024
130
123
Buckingham, UK
AKA
Lindsay
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Jezzer wrote:

The trouble with the 1.8's is that they need space and serious amplification to sound their best.Still, £450 is a wicked price!
Having bought mine new at near RRP I'm somewhat jealous but an awesome speaker particularly with right amplification. A little fussy about cable though in my experience.

 

Jezzer

Passionate
Wammer Plus
Jul 31, 2005
9,808
1,187
193
Uxbridge
AKA
Jezzer
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Strat,

You can take comfort in the knowledge that you have bought (and have had for some time now) a fine pair of speakers in the 1.8mk2's. :dude:

I've had my 1.3mk2's from new. Bought em in 2000 for £1,100 (which was a £100 off RRP). Can't complain because I reckon they're the best speakers I've had the pleasure of owning. Doesn't matter to me if 2nd hand examples are now showing up at around £500-£700.

Since 2000 I've owned several bits of hifi kit but the Dyn's have stayed (although I did toy with the idea of keeping a pair of Totem's for a while!).

... I am surprised that 1.8's cost less than 1.3's. Brings to mind used cars (cos larger models tend to be cheaper than small ones...)

 

ErikFH

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 2, 2005
3,100
5
0
Netherlands
AKA
Erik
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
How about some brand new silver streak 1.3MK11's from Germany for the same£800.

http://cgi.ebay.de/Dynaudio-Contour-1-3-MkII-silber-nagelneu-Gelegenheit_W0QQitemZ7579875908QQcategoryZ75780QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

The one you see got unpacked to take a picture of it, andwas only touched with gloves. The other is still brand new in the box.

Or pre '98 original 1.3's:

http://cgi.ebay.de/Dynaudio-Contour-1-3-High-End-Echtholzfurnier-Buche_W0QQitemZ7581717635QQcategoryZ75780QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

But wouldn't replace the 1.1 for those personally.

 

Craig

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
6,368
316
128
Copenhagen
AKA
Craig
ErikfH wrote:

But wouldn't replace the 1.1 for those personally.
You mean me, Erik? I won't be changing my speakers just yet.

Had considered for a while changing to the 1.3 II but am leaning towards a more substantial upgrade a bit later in the year

 

ErikFH

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 2, 2005
3,100
5
0
Netherlands
AKA
Erik
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Made a link totheir E-bay Craig, as GermanyisDynaudio'slargestconsuming marketandstandard RRPsare5-10% lowerthenin the UK. Which might dissolve extra shipping costs in case of (sh) purchase. So couldbe something to consider.

I'll log inonChristmas day to find out what you ended up with. Cheers. :dude:

 

The Strat

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 17, 2005
14,024
130
123
Buckingham, UK
AKA
Lindsay
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Jezzer wrote:

Strat,You can take comfort in the knowledge that you have bought (and have had for some time now) a fine pair of speakers in the 1.8mk2's. :dude:

I've had my 1.3mk2's from new. Bought em in 2000 for £1,100 (which was a £100 off RRP). Can't complain because I reckon they're the best speakers I've had the pleasure of owning. Doesn't matter to me if 2nd hand examples are now showing up at around £500-£700.

Since 2000 I've owned several bits of hifi kit but the Dyn's have stayed (although I did toy with the idea of keeping a pair of Totem's for a while!).

... I am surprised that 1.8's cost less than 1.3's. Brings to mind used cars (cos larger models tend to be cheaper than small ones...)
Yeah and don't they just synergise with Naim.

 

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
109,297
Messages
2,317,178
Members
69,450
Latest member
kelirich