Wammer
Wammer Plus
Dec 23, 2007
midlands , , United
AKA
phil
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Well i know there are lots of fans on here of the dali rubicon 2 which can be had new for 1399 which is 50% less than the special 40 at 2800 . Have any of you guys compared the two ?

do you agree with the youtube creators views ?

In this particular setup, the Rubicon 2 sounded a tad too bright for me plus its bass was not only stronger than the Special 40, but it was to the extent of overwhelming. Overall, I felt the Special 40 is more balanced and is a pair of speakers that you can really sit down and have an extended proper listening session with.

But, that is to be expected, in most group tests, in general Dynaudios don't do well because I would say many average listeners are after a sound that encompasses ultimate resolution and full attack. By default, the Dynaudio house sound is neutral at best, so when you put them under a back-to-back comparison situation they rarely do well.
I feel like the Dynaudio house sound is more of an acquired taste if you will. You need to get to know it a bit before you will get to appreciate it. So, when you first listen to it, it doesn't scream "come and check out how good I am". That relationship has to be built over time.

Other more revealing speakers on the other end of the spectrum on the other hand are trying to win you over right away and some of them do a great job in that context like the B&W 805 D3s or D4s or Focal Sopra No.1s of the world.

hiesteem

peacebro
Wammer
Feb 6, 2019
AKA
Pete
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Yes for longer-term listening the Dynaudio, whilst not as immediately impressive would be my choice. Probably more able to work with upgraded ancillaries.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jezzer and Esee

Chumpchops

From the safest places come the bravest words.
Wammer
Oct 3, 2014
Bristol
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I have Dyn Focus 110As and enjoyed them for 10 years - for same reasons as DomT. balanced, detailed listening, and so very easy to live with in extended music sessions. Build, fit and finish also top notch - never any problems.

AndyCC72

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 4, 2021
Bexley, Kent
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
But, that is to be expected, in most group tests, in general Dynaudios don't do well because I would say many average listeners are after a sound that encompasses ultimate resolution and full attack. By default, the Dynaudio house sound is neutral at best, so when you put them under a back-to-back comparison situation they rarely do well.
I feel like the Dynaudio house sound is more of an acquired taste if you will. You need to get to know it a bit before you will get to appreciate it. So, when you first listen to it, it doesn't scream "come and check out how good I am". That relationship has to be built over time.

You've hit the nail on the head there. Most definitely an acquired taste.

I have had the Special 40's for over a year now and I adore them. I thought they were a bit pipe and slippers for when I first bought them (i was coming from LS50's) but after a few listening session I came to love them. They do all genres well, go pretty low for a stand mount (although I do run mine with 2 subs as I did with the LS50's before them) and are a joy to listen to for extended sessions.

The only way I'll be getting rid of them is if I ever get to scratch my valve amp and high sensitivity speaker itch and I need to free up some cash.

Blacksabbath25

blacksabbath25
Wammer
Aug 6, 2018
ely cambridgeshire
AKA
Darren
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
No i do not agree with the Youtuber it depends on lots of factors ...

What amplifier your using what cables and the room the speakers are in all make a difference to how the speakers behave .

If the Dali Rubicon 2s are sounding bright it might be down to what amplifier he is using .

nomore landings

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 27, 2018
Dawson's Field
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
No i do not agree with the Youtuber it depends on lots of factors ...

What amplifier your using what cables and the room the speakers are in all make a difference to how the speakers behave .

If the Dali Rubicon 2s are sounding bright it might be down to what amplifier he is using .
Completely agree, Black Sabbath. Having owned 4 different Dali floorstanders plus Dynaudio standmounts- also very good, I have not experienced brightness in any - given good quality material and source. Always paired with built - in - Japan amps which have all had synergy. I have not watched the video as usually flawed. PP is enjoying his new Rubicon 2s and probably views it with the same disdain as I just experienced in Issac's speech.

Reactions: hiesteem

hifinutt

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Dec 23, 2007
midlands , , United
AKA
phil
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
It may be flawed nomore but be interested in your thoughts

I had dynaudio 52se and 72se in past and they were so enjoyable . Our local dealer does the special 40 so might get a listen sometime . Very intersting to read folks thought because there is a massive price difference between them . Some great deals on the rubicon at the moment but is the finsh and build as good as dynaudio ?

Jezzer

Unspecified Wammer
Wammer Plus
Jul 31, 2005
Uxbridge
AKA
Jezzer
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Synergy as ever plays a part…

I’ve had 3 pairs of Dynaudio Contours - 1.1, 1.3mk2 and 1.8mk2s. Their smooth sound meant they partnered better with more lively amps - such as Naim, Densen, Krell (I had Monitor Audio GR60S with the Krell KAV400XI for a very short while before switching to the Contour 1.8mk2s… much better!)

… and my Focal Kanta No1s with the Bel Canto and Hegel sound fabulous!

Blacksabbath25

blacksabbath25
Wammer
Aug 6, 2018
ely cambridgeshire
AKA
Darren
HiFi Trade?
  1. No

I had dynaudio 52se and 72se in past and they were so enjoyable . Our local dealer does the special 40 so might get a listen sometime . Very intersting to read folks thought because there is a massive price difference between them . Some great deals on the rubicon at the moment but is the finsh and build as good as dynaudio ?
I would say build finish on the Rubicons are very good better then the models below the Rubicon range as i had the Dali opticon 8s before i brought my Rubicon 8s and if you go to the flagship epicon then the finish is a very big jump up and one i wish i could afford .

Reactions: hiesteem

nomore landings

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 27, 2018
Dawson's Field
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No

Sq wise, hard to judge as not heard the 2s Or 40s. Read that PP is very happy with his. DALIs are designed to fire straight ahead. Suspect that any toe in or measurements on axis might sound bright. My 6s were quite tricky to set up and very sensitive to the room. He Epicons have never moved since day one. Aarhus ? In northern Denmark is home to most of the manufacturers, peter lyngdorf having a big influence Including founding Dali. Domestic competition is great for setting standards and I'd be confident in the build quality of any. Dali have just launched the Kore, £70000 and 148kg each. Comes with castors and hopefully a couple of hefty vikings. Borreson, Raidho, gamutt and audiovector - top model £192000- won't want their reputation ruined with shoddy work lower in the range. All imho.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.