Dynaudio Special 40 with Linn

plasticpenguin

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Aug 8, 2018
Bookham, Surrey
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Yes I would say so. Top quality amps for the Confidence series as well. I don't think they are forgiving as they used to be and would be looking at Audionet or Restek mono's  for the open window that the Confidence are capable of.
I've not heard the Confidence range, but the old Contour S1.4 needed something with grunt to make work at their best. Pretty much the same with the affordable Audience range

Reactions: hiesteem

hiesteem

peacebro
Wammer
Feb 6, 2019
AKA
Pete
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I've not heard the Confidence range, but the old Contour S1.4 needed something with grunt to make work at their best. Pretty much the same with the affordable Audience range
Yes the Contour were good throughout the range. Some said the 1.4 were as good as the Confidence 1.

I believe Dynaudio  make their own speakers throughout the whole process, so credit to them for retooling and keeping their range fresh, even if I prefer some of their old models. Which generally had a darker easier presentation for my ears.

plasticpenguin

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Aug 8, 2018
Bookham, Surrey
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Yes the Contour were good throughout the range. Some said the 1.4 were as good as the Confidence 1.

I believe Dynaudio  make their own speakers throughout the whole process, so credit to them for retooling and keeping their range fresh, even if I prefer some of their old models. Which generally had a darker easier presentation for my ears.
Yup, the 1.4s are the only ones I've heard from the Contour range, powered by the MK1 Naim XS. great tonal match but felt the needed a amp with more grunt, something on the lines of a Leema Tucana. Plus those Contours needed a ton of space, otherwise they could sound a bit flabby.

Reactions: hiesteem

Bigwig07

Wammer
Wammer
May 28, 2016
Surrey
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I too have been contemplating a pair of sh Dynaudio S40's this weekend, mainly on their reputation.

I remember hearing them a few years back and was quite impressed, but having reread reviews and hifi forum postings I feel they will probably be too 'hifi' for me - ie detailed and trebley with a tight pungent bass -ie technically excellent  but lacking in soul flow and warmth ? I'm sure others will disagree though
Well to update - I have just procured a pair of Dynaudio Special 40's, and with my Primare i35 they are - very very good. Excellent detail & imaging, tight punchy bass, and treble is refined and not excessive.

A different and full on sound compared to my usual Stirling Ls3/5a V2's or Harbeth P3ESR's.

I can see why people love them.

Reactions: AndyCC72

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles