Earache Records "Full Dynamic Range Reissues"

NAM

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2010
Edinburgh, Scotland
AKA
Neil
Even if you're not into metal this might be of interest from a loudness war point of view- I'm also curious to see if anyone knows of any other labels (not just metal) that are doing something similar.

Earache Records are a seminal UK independent metal label who have recently started putting out a series of "Full Dynamic Range" reissues.

Similar to many labels, since the mid-late 90's Earache began releasing remasters that had compressed dynamics compared with the original releases. At minimum the FDR editions, all re-sourced from the original tapes, have the same dynamic range as the original release but in some cases go further. For example, "Heartwork" by Carcass was released in 1993 and the impact of the loudness wars was starting to be evident- the album had a DR of 8 and digital clipping throughout (however, there was a Japanese release which had a DR of 12 with no clipping). The UK 2004 remaster further compressed the DR to 6 but the 2013 FDR edition has a DR of 14- better than the original Japanese edition!

They make a big play of the vinyl editions because I guess that's how they make money but the important thing here is that the digital editions (some on CD but all available for download on their bandcamp site and on spotify) apparently don't suffer in terms of dynamics compared with the vinyls- the Heartwork FDR on spotify for example sounds better than my original CD particularly with regards to the drums. Overall a really impressive move on Earache's part IMO.

• Upvote
Reactions: folkboy

Dale Smith

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 7, 2011
Hull, UK
Nice. Are they actually promoting these as having extended DR or is it just everything they release from this point onwards?.

I went on there website, expecting a big banner promoting this, but there seems to be no mention of it..

NAM

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2010
Edinburgh, Scotland
AKA
Neil
Nice. Are they actually promoting these as having extended DR or is it just everything they release from this point onwards?.I went on there website, expecting a big banner promoting this, but there seems to be no mention of it..
Yes- they promote these on the basis of their dynamic range and fidelity. You're right though, promote is perhaps a bit strong :p They say as a label they are committed to dynamic range and against the loudness war but I have no idea whether that translates to their new releases aimed at kids rather than reissues for aging fans who are now grumpy old fuckers :p

I haven't actually read it but there's an interview about it here

Review of the Heartwork FDR here

Both of these links are from Metal-Fi which may be of general interest to anyone on here with that likes metal- the reviews include DR ratings

Also some discussion on their blog here

Spotify Links:

Carcass- Reek of Putrefaction, Symphonies of Sickness, Necrotism, Heartwork, Swansong (The last two are better than the original CD release)

Entombed- Left Hand Path, Clandestine, Wolverine Blues (WB is better than original release)

Bolt Thrower- War Master, IVth Crusade

Morbid Angel- Covenant

RichardG

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 4, 2005
West of Cardiff, UK
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Both of these links are from Metal-Fi which may be of general interest to anyone on here with that likes metal- the reviews include DR ratingsAlso some discussion on their blog here
Thanks for the metal-fi link - hadn't heard of it / them. Some of the stuff is a bit extreme for me, but I do like a dabble in the odd Black Metal album - I'll check out some of your Spotify links as well, cheers!

NAM

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2010
Edinburgh, Scotland
AKA
Neil
Thanks for the metal-fi link - hadn't heard of it / them. Some of the stuff is a bit extreme for me, but I do like a dabble in the odd Black Metal album - I'll check out some of your Spotify links as well, cheers!
There's not that much on Metal-Fi yet but it seems to be picking up steam a little (mainly by reviewing Earache's FDR editions ;-) :p )

Black Metal, huh? The latest Inquisition album (spotify) apparently has a DR of 9 (Metal-Fi review). It does sound nice and is worth checking out (an abundance of RIFFS :p ).

RichardG

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 4, 2005
West of Cardiff, UK
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Cheers for the extra reco...I'll make it as a playlist for the train.

I'm very much into Satyricon's latest at the moment, which I know has split long term fans down the middle. I don't have any baggage so I'm enjoying it as my first Satyricon album!

Vinyl's a bit steep though - £27 on Amazon and some people have it for £30+. Bonkers!

whizzkid

I told you it wasn't important
Wammer
Dec 30, 2006
Earth 2
AKA
Slartibartfast
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Lets hope others follow Earaches lead though we'll be paying for it but it should be worth it.

NAM

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2010
Edinburgh, Scotland
AKA
Neil
Cheers for the extra reco...I'll make it as a playlist for the train.I'm very much into Satyricon's latest at the moment, which I know has split long term fans down the middle. I don't have any baggage so I'm enjoying it as my first Satyricon album!

Vinyl's a bit steep though - £27 on Amazon and some people have it for £30+. Bonkers!
Let me know what you think- always more than happy to recommend some metal :D :p

- - - Updated - - -

Lets hope others follow Earaches lead though we'll be paying for it but it should be worth it.
Yeah, potentially- these are all albums I bought on CD first time around, but even the FDR reissues that don't have CD releases yet are already on Spotify and Bandcamp which is pretty cool!

C

Crazytrain

Thanks for the heads up about the FDR releases. Defo going to get the Heartwork cd. :^

NAM

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2010
Edinburgh, Scotland
AKA
Neil
I tracked down an original release CD of Pentagram "Day of Reckoning"- it's amazing how much louder the reissue (DR9) sounds compared to the original (DR14) at the same volume setting, and DR9 isn't even that bad as far as modern releases go. Similar to the Earache releases above, it's the drums that really benefit most fron the extra dynamic range IMO.

NAM

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2010
Edinburgh, Scotland
AKA
Neil
What're people's thoughts on the likelihood of other labels following suit? Earache say that they became aware that they had a significant number of fans who cared about mastering and they listened to this- but ultimately they must be making money from it because they've been doing this a few years now and the number of FDR reissues are only increasing. I guess the smart thing here is realising that there is an overlap between the people that care about mastering and those that will pay for vinyl (and even multiple formats)? I guess this vinyl buying fanbase allows them to have such a favourable attitude to Spotify so they can reap the benefits of increased exposure etc...? I can think of other independent metal labels (Peaceville for e.g.) who must have a similar demographic of fans.

NAM

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2010
Edinburgh, Scotland
AKA
Neil
Just found out that Rush "Vapor Trails" was remixed and re-released at the ens of September with. A better dynamic range. Not a tremendous difference (DR5 avg to 7) but sounds A LOT better, and much better cranked!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online