Eclipse TD510s - any possibility of 3rd party repair?

daws0n

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 21, 2006
Morning all

I've just acquired some Eclipse TD510s in good cosmetic condition but non-working. No sound whatsoever (tried 2 amps) and no ohm reading on the terminals. Seems like the voice coils have burnt out which isn't difficult to do considering the low power handling (20 watts).

The drivers are bespoke 120mm full range, and due to the unusual enclosure design / suspension they need to be a perfect fit. I doubt a drop in replacement would work.

TD510MK2_tec20.jpg

Eclipse don't offer any support at all with regards to spares / repair so my only potential avenue is 3rd party. Can anyone recommend a repairer?

Cheers

Dawson

CliveD

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 14, 2011
Bristol
AKA
Clive
Morning all

I've just acquired some Eclipse TD510s in good cosmetic condition but non-working. No sound whatsoever (tried 2 amps) and no ohm reading on the terminals. Seems like the voice coils have burnt out which isn't difficult to do considering the low power handling (20 watts).

The drivers are bespoke 120mm full range, and due to the unusual enclosure design / suspension they need to be a perfect fit. I doubt a drop in replacement would work.

TD510MK2_tec20.jpg

Eclipse don't offer any support at all with regards to spares / repair so my only potential avenue is 3rd party. Can anyone recommend a repairer?

Cheers

Dawson
I have a pair of 508 Mk 2s and love them, they are part of a Denon kitchen system so never played at high volume. The 510s are their bigger better brothers & well worth repairing if you can. There’s a pair on eBay at the moment for £400 but collection only from Poole. The cabinet on one is imperfect but drivers are fine, I don’t know if they would be within budget. I do have the business card for the Eclipse Sales Manager from a few years ago, Paul Burnip. I’m sure he would help if he could. PM me if you‘d like his number.

daws0n

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 21, 2006
Thanks Clive, PM sent.

Yes the 508iis are great speakers also, was hoping these would be an ideal step up... They're well over double the weight / size in comparison and just as stylish.

SMEagol

Middle Earthed
Wammer Plus
Aug 13, 2008
Lancashire
AKA
Chris
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The drivers are bonded to the front of the cabinets to create an airtight seal, or so I'm told... I've got a pair of 510s but the thought of one fart from my valve amps taking them out is terrifying. They take some driving too which is the irony considering the low output. My mono's are 50 watts so anything below ten to twelve on the volume is about right I figure. I'm lucky that the prior owner didn't rag them at all.

Last edited:

daws0n

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 21, 2006
I hope that's not the case but I was pondering how they're stuck in, as there isn't a screw in sight.

I think they're pretty hardy speakers when driven with their limits. The previous owner hadn't used them for several years since moving properties, they were previously hooked up a an AV receiver capable for 100+ wpc. All it would take is a careless twist of volume pot or someone wondering "how loud can this go?".

My amp has a programmable volume limiter which it always set below 90dB to avoid such accidents! That, and replaygain tags across the music library are a must IMHO. That way "loud" never raises to "too loud" because the volume stays consistent regardless of recording age/mastering, it's great for playlists and parties.

SMEagol

Middle Earthed
Wammer Plus
Aug 13, 2008
Lancashire
AKA
Chris
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I hope they aren't bonded, it'd be interesting to know, I wonder if a screw from the back of the magnet pushes it into a recess in the front of the enclosure?

SMEagol

Middle Earthed
Wammer Plus
Aug 13, 2008
Lancashire
AKA
Chris
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I have a pair of 508 Mk 2s and love them, they are part of a Denon kitchen system so never played at high volume. The 510s are their bigger better brothers & well worth repairing if you can. There’s a pair on eBay at the moment for £400 but collection only from Poole. The cabinet on one is imperfect but drivers are fine, I don’t know if they would be within budget. I do have the business card for the Eclipse Sales Manager from a few years ago, Paul Burnip. I’m sure he would help if he could. PM me if you‘d like his number.
I saw those eBay ones, I bet ones fallen over. The enclosures are made of fibre-reinforced resin, akin to 'artificial marble' so it's taken one hell of a knock. Mind you the mass behind it on those stands it'd go down with a thud.

daws0n

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 21, 2006
Oh definitley.... With stands bolted on they weight over 20kgs.

Last edited:

daws0n

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 21, 2006
They're a fairly old model (released 2006) but in contrast Dynaudio still manufacturer or keep new-old-stock for their 90s speakers in order to mantain support. Volt also repaired a driver from a 1970s speakers I had a few years aswell, that's good service. This is disappointing to say the least... I've been mulling over whether to splash out on a pair of used TD712s one day should opportunity allow, but the lack of support is off putting.

I'll be visiting the tip with a heavy heart if it comes to that! Judging by the cabinet construction and R&D that went into the design, I'd wager that the driver is probably the least expensive component.

If SMEgol's hunch is correct regarding driver bonding, then they're not inteded for service at all.... If they end up junk'd I'll try and take one apart for peek.

SMEagol

Middle Earthed
Wammer Plus
Aug 13, 2008
Lancashire
AKA
Chris
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
If you do get them apart, Wembley Speaker Co might be able to replace the voice coils unless they are made of unobtanium.

Reactions: uzzy

SMEagol

Middle Earthed
Wammer Plus
Aug 13, 2008
Lancashire
AKA
Chris
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
They're a fairly old model (released 2006) but in contrast Dynaudio still manufacturer or keep new-old-stock for their 90s speakers in order to mantain support. Volt also repaired a driver from a 1970s speakers I had a few years aswell, that's good service. This is disappointing to say the least... I've been mulling over whether to splash out on a pair of used TD712s one day should opportunity allow, but the lack of support is off putting.

I'll be visiting the tip with a heavy heart if it comes to that! Judging by the cabinet construction and R&D that went into the design, I'd wager that the driver is probably the least expensive component.

If SMEgol's hunch is correct regarding driver bonding, then they're not inteded for service at all.... If they end up junk'd I'll try and take one apart for peek.
The stands are still worth a couple of hundred as they were a £600 option. I really hope it doesn't come to that though, really it would be very sad.

Last edited:

Beobloke

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 29, 2005
AKA
Adam
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Looking at pictures, can you not undo the four screws in the cabinet recesses? It looks like the cabinet comes apart in two halves, which would then permit access to the drivers.

The above cross-section is of the Mk2, which has screws accessible from the front, but it looks like the Mk1 has them facing the rear.

SMEagol

Middle Earthed
Wammer Plus
Aug 13, 2008
Lancashire
AKA
Chris
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Looking at pictures, can you not undo the four screws in the cabinet recesses? It looks like the cabinet comes apart in two halves, which would then permit access to the drivers.

The above cross-section is of the Mk2, which has screws accessible from the front, but it looks like the Mk1 has them facing the rear.
My only concern would be how the wiring connects to the driver from the binding posts in one half.

Beobloke

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 29, 2005
AKA
Adam
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
My only concern would be how the wiring connects to the driver from the binding posts in one half.
It‘ll either be soldered to the back of the binding posts or using a ring crimp held on by a nut. Either way there should be enough slack in the wires to pull the cabinets partially apart, get your hand in and undo/de-solder them.

Depressingly, there‘s a fair chance the connections to the driver itself are spawn-of-satan push-on tags. if they are, then these are even easier to remove. Heck, if the OP is really lucky, the reason for the speakers not working may be that one or more have already fallen off!

daws0n

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 21, 2006
Thanks for the comments everyone - I've sent emails to both decent audio & wembley loudspeakers, no response so far but hopefully someone can lend a hand...

I'll give it a few more days... If no one replies then there's nothing to loose re: cracking one open for a look. I'll let you know how I get on!

rabski

Everything in moderation
Staff member
Dec 2, 2006
Kettering
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
They had to be put together in the first place. If there are screws/bolts, then they'll come apart again.

I would think it highly unlikely they'd be bonded, though if they're designed as a fully-sealed 'cabinet', there may be some gunk sealing the join. Bear in mind that while they may not be supported by the manufacturer now, at the time they would have had a warranty so would likely have been repairable.

SMEagol

Middle Earthed
Wammer Plus
Aug 13, 2008
Lancashire
AKA
Chris
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Screen Shot 2022-10-14 at 00.29.52.png
This pic looks as though an allen key screw at the back of the weight pushes the driver into the recess. So there could be hope getting them out.

Reactions: Lurch

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles